Cancun Still the place for Texans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone chartered a boat from Cancun to COZ? With a group of divers it might make sense financially.. Find some guy with a speedboat and have him drop you right at the dock of you COZ hotel. Or is that idea crazy....

Has anyone chartered a boat from Cancun to COZ? With a group of divers it might make sense financially.. Find some guy with a speedboat and have him drop you right at the dock of you COZ hotel. Or is that idea crazy....

Maybe not "crazy", but I'm not sure this makes sense, either. Small boats don't always make the crossing very well (there are some divers here who can attest to this...) and the ferry is very inexpensive. Not all hotels are open to having boats dock unless they've paid a fee.

Kinda like a Uber service? I am sure that would be accepted with open arms. The current ferry system is extremely political with very vested interests involved.

A speedboat hauling me and my luggage to Coz sounds like a barrel of laughs. We've made around 90 crossings on the ferry, and serenaded enough times by fellow passengers retching, that I find myself clearly in the it's crazy camp.

Have you ever made the12 mile crossing from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel in a small boat? I have. Even on a calm day it's pretty rough. Cancun to Cozumel is more like 50 or 60 miles, and you'd be running parallel to the shore most of the way, which means you'd be taking the prevailing seas on the port quarter. That would not be a comfortable or short boat ride.

I would say it falls in the crazy category. Gas costs us $4+ per gallon. We might make such a trip for several thousand dollars if we could find a captain who was willing. I've done the crossing late one night from Playa in a small boat—never again.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

So we found ok airfare from NYC to CZM for December and decided paying over $900 to go to Roatan would leave a sour taste, so we booked CZM and the awesome rate at Occidental for a week stay was hard to pass up....de je vue from last December.

Have yet to pick a dive operator, but Pro with free Nytrox and on location is hard to beat!

So, Roll Call for December....put us down:)

Ps...to Can was under $300 but the bag drag isn't my wife's sort of adventure....

When the fishermen need to cross in a small boat they like to get right behind the ferry. I won't be on the small boat for that trip.

When the fishermen need to cross in a small boat they like to get right behind the ferry. I won't be on the small boat for that trip.
That may happen but I don't think it's a common practice. When we are out fishing we see the ferries going back and forth all day, and I've never seen any small boats drafting them.

Today I got a United one way to Cancun from Houston on Oct 15 for $88. After taxes United keeps $32! Going to Coz on that date is $361.

This is all due to Southwest and I hope lasts a long time. I don't hate the bag drag that much plus I use CVChief's Private van guy…very reliable.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom