Cancun Still the place for Texans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same here, Blue Steal. Mayair baggage fees would sink me. I make the Cancun to Playa segment a part of the trip. I do a red eye from SFO so I can get some sleep. Other flights leave SFO at 7 or 8 in the morning, and from where I live I'd have to get up about 3 to get there. Since I'm so excited/hyped for going on the trip = no sleep at all. At least on the red eye I can doze for a few hours. Once I get to Cancun I've arrived & am not in a hurry. I put on my sandals and enjoy being in the tropical air. The bus is part of the adventure. My sweet little budget hotel in PdC is also part of the adventure. I can rest, refresh, walk to the beach, get some cheap tacos & a beer, change $ and after a night or 2 take the ferry over - also part of the adventure - and arrive in Coz ready to go.
:)

PS: For the return flight out of Cancun, I schedule it late enough so I have enough time to do the reverse, minus the hotel.

I think others explained this well, but the short answer is it doesn't, and it's complicated.
It has everything to do with supply and demand and it has nothing to do with miles flown. A few years ago I could have flown round trip Austin > Toronto > Houston > Cozumel for exactly the same fare as Austin > Houston > Cozumel. Last time I checked the round trip fare for Austin > Houston > Cozumel was $75 p/p cheaper than for Houston > Cozumel even though the flights between Houston and Cozumel were the same plane.

I would love to do Mayair but with 80+ pounds of stuff it would cost me a fortune. I may just bring as much stuff as Dandy Don.

Yea, that would be a drawback. We typically come down with one mule bag of stuff from people. I also like the ferry ride on the way down. My van guy gets us there for around 800 pesos.

Going home, back packs!! I love having a place with my stuff in it!!

Dear Gordon,

I've noticed that many times…almost worth the drive to Austin !

Over flying directly into Cozumel? Not for this traveler, but DSFDF.

I'd definitely prefer flying directly into Cozumel. I think almost everyone would thus the hope that SWA will fly into there some day. I'd fly into Coz if tickets were even $100 more but the difference lately is staggering.

I might be wrong, but I'm betting that, though Southwest might not offer much in the way of discounts vs. other airlines out of Lubbock or Amarillo, if Southwest weren't there at all, your fares would be a LOT higher.

I agree. The other carriers will compete if they have to and rarely will SWA be much if any cheaper than competitors, it's that the overall price point is lower.

I wonder if that is true in Cancun? I always thought for the most part they were all ASUR employees who put on different shirts for each airline. I am thinking some of the check in people were wearing green airport shirts, not just SW stuff.

That's what I also wondered. Hard to believe SWA uses it's own baggage handlers and ground crews in all the international aiports they fly into. And plenty of places they fly into just one or two flights per day. One flight a day into Costa Rica. One flight a day into Belize except 2 on Saturday.

$900.00 to Roatan from NYC Dec 16th! At least it's round trip:eek:

My wife had to fly to Houston for a funeral and paid USD$127 for CUN to IAH. Mayair got her from the island to CUN quickly and inexpensively.

To get there from here would be ridiculous - Southwest charges far more to get me to CUN with 2 stops than Delta does to get me to CZM with 1 stop. There are no non-stops from NH to either CZM or CUN.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom