Can you show me pics of how you attach hard lead to rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, you got it. Simple and easy. No need to take the harness apart to add weights. Experiment with the loop length to get the feel you want.

Picked up some bungee today to try this - how heavy a weight do you find this to be practical for?

It depends on the bungee and how tight you tie it. Experiment. It's fine for 2# weights with 1/8" bungee on the shoulder and if you go to thicker bungee, I can see going to five pounds.

It depends on the bungee and how tight you tie it. Experiment. It's fine for 2# weights with 1/8" bungee on the shoulder and if you go to thicker bungee, I can see going to five pounds.

I picked up some 1/8" and some 3/16". Will probably use the thicker one.

I was also thinking that perhaps these clips might help prevent them from sliding depending on positioning.

They're cheap enough. :D

And I just happen to have some right here!

Just did a rough rig with the 3/16" on a 3lb weight and it seems to hold fine. I have the length now, so I will tie it properly and give it a go in the pool this week.

Think outside the box. Look at the problem from a different perspective. Experiment. Don't be afraid to fail a bit. Keep working it until you have a tenable solution and then some more till you have an optimal solution. You might find yourself discovering that there actually is no box.

Depending on how secure it needs to be you can "lock" the bungee onto the hard weight by using a zip tie to capture both sides of the bungee on the back side of the weight so that it can't slip off the corners of the weight. I've used 4 2lb weights on my Side Mount harness (2 on shoulders and two on spine) and it works great. Great for travelling or just playing with trim so you can easily move the weights or change amount of weight.

I picked up some 1/8" and some 3/16". Will probably use the thicker one.

I was also thinking that perhaps these clips might help prevent them from sliding depending on positioning.

Just back from the pool, and this was the cat's ass for playing with trim. Worked like a charm, loops made of 3/16" with 2 and 3 lb weights. Rock solid, nothing moved. Thanks for the tips!

Wow - I was way off.

I went to the pool today and drained my tanks down to 500. Wore my drysuit and hood with full thermals like I would normally dive. I only needed 9 pounds to stay comfortably at the bottom at 6ft. Originally I thought 20. I don't know where my calculations were off, but this is why we check :)

I put 5 pounds square in the center of my back and put 2, 2# blocks on the shoulder straps and pretty much nailed the trim. I might have to move the 2 pound blocks to my back though so I am not too front heavy when carrying my camera.

Just back from the pool, and this was the cat's ass for playing with trim. Worked like a charm, loops made of 3/16" with 2 and 3 lb weights. Rock solid, nothing moved. Thanks for the tips!
This made my day. It's for this very reason that ScubaBoard exists: divers helping divers.

Of course, I could be reading this wrong. I've seen my cats' asses and I am not impressed. I get the feeling they think I should be, as much as they keep sticking it in my face. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom