Can you show me pics of how you attach hard lead to rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need to put about 20 pounds of lead on my rig for drysuit diving with my lp85s.

I am thinking 4 5# blocks inside the harness on my back. Weight belts dont work for me and I am a bit foot heavy anyway when I try. I think having that weight centered over my back should trim out nicely.

I have an sms100. I am just looking for ideas of how to securely attach normal lead block weights. I was thinking of running some webbing through the cam band slots and attaching there somehow.

What have you done? Can you show pics?

I will probably get the hollis weight plate once it becomes available.

I don't have any pics, but the easiest way is to use weight pocks with a loop on a cam band. I bought flashlight holders with a velcro flap and loop on the back. I poured lead into an anchovy can that fits the pocket. The cam band ( one inch if you can get it ) will slip up or down the tanks/s for trim.

I used 2 of these down the sides
Amazon.com: XS Scuba "V" Weight Pouch (WB550): Sports & Outdoors

They are tied (knots glued and melted in the cord) onto the webbing loops that have the tiny gear Drings on them. Tying to the mini Drings was floppier than it needed to be.
They realistically hold about 13lbs combined. I have 6 more on a weight belt to get my static trim right. This is for hp100s in freshwater w a drysuit and undergarments for 40F

Not clear from post if you are attaching all or some of your weight and it you want any of it ditchable.

Bungees. Here's a quick how-to

WeightBungee_5.JPG

WeightBungee_4.JPG

WeightBungee_3.JPG

WeightBungee_2.JPG

WeightBungee_1.JPG

What kind of knot did you use on the bungee? Is that just an overhand knot on each end or something else?

It's a double grape knot:

doublefishermansR16.jpg

Click for instructions on how to tie=> Double Grape Knot

Edit=> Ain't the interwebs a great place for all kinds of helpful information?

I need to put about 20 pounds of lead on my rig for drysuit diving with my lp85s. I am thinking 4 5# blocks inside the harness on my back. Weight belts dont work for me and I am a bit foot heavy anyway when I try. I think having that weight centered over my back should trim out nicely.What have you done? Can you show pics?
While I haven't tried putting 20 lbs on any of my rigs, I have put weight on shoulder straps (pic below), and on the back of the rig (no pic, but same approach - tie-wraps). In the pic, on the back of the rig, below the weights, there are several vertical pieces of webbing (a blue-ish strap is running through them), and I have attached weights the same way. Where I put the weight is influenced by what I need to do for trim.

Transpac rig weight 1.jpg

Given the amount of weight you want to use, have you looked at some of the commercial products (Dive Rite, X-Deep)?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom