Can you show me pics of how you attach hard lead to rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what about a "V-weight" pouch with shot? or the XS-Scuba weight pouches on the cam bands (one each side, upper and lower).

I looked at the at the dive rite plate. Somewhere I read that it is a little wide for the SMS 100. I have the new hollis one on order but it probably won't ship until next month. I am looking for a solution between now and then.

While I haven't tried putting 20 lbs on any of my rigs, I have put weight on shoulder straps (pic below), and on the back of the rig (no pic, but same approach - tie-wraps). In the pic, on the back of the rig, below the weights, there are several vertical pieces of webbing (a blue-ish strap is running through them), and I have attached weights the same way. Where I put the weight is influenced by what I need to do for trim.

View attachment 179031

Given the amount of weight you want to use, have you looked at some of the commercial products (Dive Rite, X-Deep)?

I have one of these for doubles/BP/Wing setup:

vweight.jpg

I'm sure someone sells them, but should be pretty easy to make your own.

Bungees. Here's a quick how-to

WeightBungee_5.JPG

WeightBungee_4.JPG

WeightBungee_3.JPG

WeightBungee_2.JPG

WeightBungee_1.JPG

I don't get where the bungie is going behind the weight...

*edit* ok that looks like it's going behind the webbing. Got it.

Just run some webbing between the holes on the backplate and thread the weights through. Use a hole punch from a grommet kit to punch the holes in the webbing.

Attachments

• IMG_3003.jpg
    IMG_3003.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 538
I looked at the at the dive rite plate. Somewhere I read that it is a little wide for the SMS 100.
Interesting - I cannot comment on why it would be too 'wide' for the Hollis, so I assume what you read either has some validity, or is a personal opinion. I also presume that by 'wide' you mean shoulder to shoulder, not vertical spacing between the bolt holes.
I am looking for a solution between now and then.
Other than strapping the weights to the harness with tie-wraps, I don't see a whole lot of (good) options.

Interesting - I cannot comment on why it would be too 'wide' for the Hollis, so I assume what you read either has some validity, or is a personal opinion. I also presume that by 'wide' you mean shoulder to shoulder, not vertical spacing between the bolt holes.Other than strapping the weights to the harness with tie-wraps, I don't see a whole lot of (good) options.

I have a dr weight plate on my SMS. It is not an exact fit. It's not that it's too wide at all. The holes don't line up perfectly. It still works though. You just end up with a slight bow in the hard backing of the weight plate which is not an issue. I've dove it with 20lbs of lead in it on the SMS for very thick undergarments. I also made a webbing strap too. PErsonally I prefer the weight plate for ease.

Theoretically, where would you guys mount weight if you had the ability to put it anywhere on your rig. What works for you?

I don't get where the bungie is going behind the weight...

*edit* ok that looks like it's going behind the webbing. Got it.
Yep, you got it. Simple and easy. No need to take the harness apart to add weights. Experiment with the loop length to get the feel you want.

Theoretically, where would you guys mount weight if you had the ability to put it anywhere on your rig. What works for you?

I really like the weight pockets on the inside of my Z-trim, which mount between the trim device and harness:

ve6e7e4e.jpg

When I dive dry at home, I carry 22lbs in the pockets. I typically use soft weights in the pockets at home, but have used hard weights when traveling.

I use the middle and bottom positions, with 2x5lbs of the weight in the middle position (which ends up in my lumbar), and 2x3lbs of weight at the bottom (which is at waist/hip level and reachable for ditching).

I have two more pockets mounted to my shoulder straps (you can see them in my avatar photo) which typically hold 2lbs each.

Good weight pockets aren't cheap (especially buying 6 of them), but the nice thing about the pockets is you can empty them out for storage or travel, and fill them up with whatever is at hand, hard or soft.

I really like @NetDoc's bungee system for hard weights, it's way cheaper than soft weights and pockets. The only downside I can see is when traveling, the bungee sizes might not match the weights at hand. It would probably take longer to rig up than a pocket setup, too.

I personally couldn't use @Colliam7's zip-tie method, I remove my weights from the harness too often for travel and storage, as well as adjusting for different exposure suits. If you're diving locally with a consistent setup, this is also a nice solution.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom