Question Can I expect big differences moving from Scubapro to Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently dive Scubapro Mk25, Mk21, and G260s. A local dive shop, Diver Dan's, has a big sale this weekend and I'm tempted to get an Atomic M1 or B2. I hear they breathe like nothing else.

Can I expect big differences when moving to Atomic, or will I probably not notice anything at all?
First thing you will notice is the initial extra cost.

@wetb4igetinthewater I serviced my own regs.
Ah ha! PEKCAK! (problem exists between keyboard and chair).

I kid, I kid. I think that's interesting as you were not able to tweak it to get to your liking. Based on @rsingler 's reg servicing class, I wonder what quirk would be needed to get the second stage to comfortably breath. I'm not familiar at all with scubapro internals (though I have a dead MK25 Evo that I plan to cut in half for educational purposes that someone gave me a while back) to know what accommodations need to be made for any differences in design.

Ah ha! PEKCAK! (problem exists between keyboard and chair).

I kid, I kid. I think that's interesting as you were not able to tweak it to get to your liking. Based on @rsingler 's reg servicing class, I wonder what quirk would be needed to get the second stage to comfortably breath. I'm not familiar at all with scubapro internals (though I have a dead MK25 Evo that I plan to cut in half for educational purposes that someone gave me a while back) to know what accommodations need to be made for any differences in design.
Unfortunate but true. I’m a lousy tech. Great math skills but two left hands for mechanical stuff but I try…! I can do my MK17 and G260s in my sleep. Anything else and I’m a putz.

PEBKAC btw.

I’m willing to bet that if it was possible to do a double-blind test, no one would be able tell the difference between the SP, AL, AA high end regs. All mostly what you “think” is in your mouth. It’s more a function of how well tuned they are.
Of course @rsingler, indicated that he could...I'm not surprised! I've used both SP G260s and Atomics. I tend to think my G260 has a slight edge, but...I think the cracking pressure is a tad lower...so there's that. If tuned to the same cracking pressure, I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between SP and Atomic.

If tuned to the same cracking pressure, I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between SP and Atomic.
Of course you could! I'm just like you guys, except that I have the inclination and the regs to tinker with and compare. It's all subtle, and little of it matters above 200', but anyone can do it and it's fun to talk about.
I think we can definitively state that 90% is tuning and the rest is "something else". We might not be able to quantify it, or if we saw two Work Of Breathing loops, few might be able to say which part of the loop accounted for what we're feeling, but comparing two regs tuned to the same exact cracking effort is easy!
How do they feel in the standard position? How do they feel on your back? How wet are they upside down? Which one is easier when you hyperventilate?
Just start at the same point, take the time to compare, and you are then entitled to pontificate!
:drunks:

If tuned to the same cracking pressure, I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between SP and Atomic.

The difference is soo very noticeable.

I'm just like you guys, except that I have the inclination and the regs to tinker with and compare.
Nah, we all know "you da man" when it comes to reg tuning! :wink:

I think we can definitively state that 90% is tuning and the rest is "something else". We might not be able to quantify it,
And yes, I'd agree. My Deep6 second stages have a design that improves laminar flow. Does it mean they actually breathe "better" than other regs? Probably not, but I do like the "feel" of them.

I currently dive Scubapro Mk25, Mk21, and G260s. A local dive shop, Diver Dan's, has a big sale this weekend and I'm tempted to get an Atomic M1 or B2. I hear they breathe like nothing else.

Can I expect big differences when moving to Atomic, or will I probably not notice anything at all?

The differences are subtle but noticeable. Whether you want to spend $750-$1000 on new regulators for that difference, that's your call.

Went from Atomic Z2 to SP MK25/S620xTI and back to Atomic (T2, B2, etc). Found Atomic "slightly" easier to initiate air flow and to maintain the air flow. Hated the venturi knob of the second stage as I difficulty grabbing and turning with dry-gloves. Also, when I scootered, the second stage always felt like it wanted to be ripped out of my mouth. No such sensation with my Atomic second stages.

Performance wise, I think they're pretty close. However, I found the Atomic second stages easier to use and more ergonomic. You're comparing two high level/performance items. Don't expect large differences that you would find comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Toyota Supra...

IMHO (and PLEASE remember, this is nothing more than my opinion), for the OP, if your reg needs to be replaced for whatever reason, then this might be an ideal time to do it. If your reg does not need to be replaced, then perhaps your money could find a better way to be spent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom