Question Can I expect big differences moving from Scubapro to Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently dive Scubapro Mk25, Mk21, and G260s. A local dive shop, Diver Dan's, has a big sale this weekend and I'm tempted to get an Atomic M1 or B2. I hear they breathe like nothing else.

Can I expect big differences when moving to Atomic, or will I probably not notice anything at all?

I've had both

Mark me down as a HUGE B2 fan !!

Saying that Atomics "breath like nothing else" is a bit of a stretch. Top-of-the-line Scubapro, Aqua Lung, Apeks and Atomics are all fantastic regs. Any difference you will notice in effort of breathing between any of them would be a placebo affect IMO.

With that said, I doubt you can go wrong with an Atomic.

Nothing, nothing outbreathes an older D series Scubapro second stage (except their limited production predecessors) , the only stage in modern regulators that really matters much in connection with breathing ease. Atomics breath very nicely, but if you are upside down or face up examining the ceiling of a cave they run a poor second to a D400 or D350. I have one of each; they are indistinguishable in the water, and come the closest to effortless natural breathing, more than anything else I've tried, including a couple of Atomics. I don't think the new D reg has the same positional stability, but I have no experience with it.

I dive a B2. Last year I had it serviced. I dove in Coz shortly thereafter. On the 10th dive, the reg went into runaway free flow. They had a generic reg on the boat. It was clunky and the breathing was cranky. But, HEY I could dive! The next day, they had a good rental reg for me and it was a scuba pro. And it breathed really nicely. I don’t know if it was exactly like my B2. But it was more than fine. When I got back home and took the B2 into the shop, it turned out that a small bit of plastic was floating around in the reg causing the problem.

Not a knock on Atomic but if your G260 is in tune I doubt you could tell a difference. Atomic has some positives that SP doesn’t like the ability to seal the first stage and the anti set feature on the second stage seat, the 260 has a seat saver too but it’s manual.

the Sherwood has a sealed piston first and an anti set seat saver too, I’m currently looking into the Sherwood SR 1 and 2, impressed with the design concepts so far and they aren’t anything less impressive in the water.

I own many of Atomic and Scubapro regulators. I have been using Scubapro since early 90's and Atomic since circa 1998. They are all top performers but Atomic has an edge in performance and in reliability. Most recent example, I just got an Mk19EVO with G260 I took with me on a trip to the Red Sea a couple of weeks ago along with an Atomic ST1. the MK19/G260 is high speed BMW where the Atomic is a solid Mercedes. I put the ST1 second stage on the MK19 with the G260 and alternated breathing from both underwater. The Atomic second stage is "smoother" breathing with its "automatic" venturi where the G260 is a wild horse with lots of power. I say that I prefer the Atomic second stage.

One other important factor, the Atomic regulators with sealed first stage and the seat saving feature in the second stage and all different metals in different parts of the regulator in the different models all give you a much higher degree of reliability and much, much longer time between servicing than any other regulator in existence. The Scubapro regulators are very reliable and very high performance but, in my taste, the Atomic has a definite edge there.

Anyone that tells you there is no difference or that you won't notice it, they don't know what they are talking about or they don't have much experience with the regulators (that's like saying all women smell, taste, feel and sound the same in the dark). FYI, I own a shameful large number of Atomic and Scubapro regulators and I am always comparing in the pool and in openwater. I can tell the difference in blind tests with my hands behind my back (when the regulator are tuned to mfg. specs).

I own many of Atomic and Scubapro regulators. I have been using Scubapro since early 90's and Atomic since circa 1998. They are all top performers but Atomic has an edge in performance and in reliability. Most recent example, I just got an Mk19EVO with G260 I took with me on a trip to the Red Sea a couple of weeks ago along with an Atomic ST1. the MK19/G260 is high speed BMW where the Atomic is a solid Mercedes. I put the ST1 second stage on the MK19 with the G260 and alternated breathing from both underwater. The Atomic second stage is "smoother" breathing with its "automatic" venturi where the G260 is a wild horse with lots of power. I say that I prefer the Atomic second stage.

One other important factor, the Atomic regulators with sealed first stage and the seat saving feature in the second stage and all different metals in different parts of the regulator in the different models all give you a much higher degree of reliability and much, much longer time between servicing than any other regulator in existence. The Scubapro regulators are very reliable and very high performance but, in my taste, the Atomic has a definite edge there.

Anyone that tells you there is no difference or that you won't notice it, they don't know what they are talking about or they don't have much experience with the regulators (that's like saying all women smell, taste, feel and sound the same in the dark). FYI, I own a shameful large number of Atomic and Scubapro regulators and I am always comparing in the pool and in openwater. I can tell the difference in blind tests with my hands behind my back (when the regulator are tuned to mfg. specs).

I think you’ve over-thought this just a tad. Clearly you’ve got way too much time on your hands. We’ll call you the regulator connoisseur. :cheers:

I can not answer the OPs question directly but will give an indirect answer. Sometime ago when I decided to switch regs I looked at the many regs out there and went with the Atomics. I knew they would dive and breath as well or better than most. The deciding factors was their lower profile and interchangeability.

If you have a stable full of SP regs and are happy with them continue on. But if you want something new and are single reg brand person I would switch to AA and if happy sell the SP and do not look back.

Back
Top Bottom