Question Can I expect big differences moving from Scubapro to Atomic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw some of those captured tents when I was in Poland.

That's the one position in which NO standard barrel design regulator can outperform the D350/400.
With a coaxial diaphragm and exhaust valve, there is zero case geometry fault for the D when on your back. The only thing you have to overcome is a modest 0.6-0.8" of cracking effort.
In contrast, all barrel designs (when lying on your back), have to overcome the fact that the top of the diaphragm is perhaps 1.5 inches higher than the top edge of the exhaust valve. Not only do you have to suck case pressure back to zero, but once you get to zero, you have to keep sucking the additional 1.1" of cracking effort to even open the valve.
They suck (when on your back).

But even not being a fanboi for the latest and greatest, the newest standard shapes (Atomic, SP S620Ti, C370) are still pretty awesome when it comes to exhalation work of breathing. The old D just can't keep up. And the new D, which can, unfortunately lost the coaxial exhaust valve, so it sucks on its back, too!
The D350/400 may not be as effortless when exhaling as the newest top of the line regulators, but they are not at all problematic in that regard either. I really don't notice any significant effort, and in my estimation ease of inhaling, of not being aware of any artificial sensations, trumps everything else. The old D series are wonderfully close to the sensation of breathing normally, without the consciousness of any mechanical device being involved, at least when inhaling. That, and the lack of any positional effects on performance, make them unbeatable in my admittedly limited experience.

Arabic coffee is ingrained within Middle Eastern and Arab culture and tradition, and is the most popular form of coffee brewed in the Middle East. It originated in the Middle East, beginning in Yemen and eventually travelling to Mecca (Hejaz), Egypt, the Levant, and then, in the mid-16th century, to Turkey and from there to Europe where Coffee eventually became popular as well.[2] Arabic coffee is an Intangible Cultural Heritage of Arab states confirmed by UNESCO.[3]

The History of Coffee

No one knows exactly how or when coffee was discovered, though there are many legends about its origin.

An Ethiopian Legend

Coffee grown worldwide can trace its heritage back centuries to the ancient coffee forests on the Ethiopian plateau. There, legend says the goat herder Kaldi first discovered the potential of these beloved beans.

The story goes that that Kaldi discovered coffee after he noticed that after eating the berries from a certain tree, his goats became so energetic that they did not want to sleep at night.

Kaldi reported his findings to the abbot of the local monastery, who made a drink with the berries and found that it kept him alert through the long hours of evening prayer. The abbot shared his discovery with the other monks at the monastery, and knowledge of the energizing berries began to spread.

As word moved east and coffee reached the Arabian peninsula, it began a journey which would bring these beans across the globe.

The Arabian Peninsula

Coffee cultivation and trade began on the Arabian Peninsula. By the 15th century, coffee was being grown in the Yemeni district of Arabia and by the 16th century it was known in Persia, Egypt, Syria, and Turkey.

Coffee was not only enjoyed in homes, but also in the many public coffee houses — called qahveh khaneh — which began to appear in cities across the Near East. The popularity of the coffee houses was unequaled and people frequented them for all kinds of social activity.

Not only did the patrons drink coffee and engage in conversation, but they also listened to music, watched performers, played chess and kept current on the news. Coffee houses quickly became such an important center for the exchange of information that they were often referred to as “Schools of the Wise.”

With thousands of pilgrims visiting the holy city of Mecca each year from all over the world, knowledge of this “wine of Araby” began to spread.

Arabic and Turkish coffee has nothing common apart of both being coffee, they are VASTLY different. You would know that if you ever had those.

Vikipedia can help until certain level. 😉

And it's not like you can just go out and buy a d350 or d400 at your local dive shop. And most likely you can't get them serviced there, either. Even if they could scrounge up the parts.

But for me the Atomic is a pretty good second best.
I have a D400 second stage I could sell that was tuned by Rsingler and not dove with since!

Arabic and Turkish coffee has nothing common apart of both being coffee, they are VASTLY different. You would know that if you ever had those.

Vikipedia can help until certain level. 😉
So explain the differences as I've had Greek (in Greece), Turkish (in Turkey) and Arab coffee (from first generation immigrants from Palestine).

I did provide two links btw.

Maybe you can also enlighten the guy with a PhD in growing coffee at Caffe Lusso a local roastery to me. LOL. This is beyond silly now.

So explain the differences as I've had Greek (in Greece), Turkish (in Turkey) and Arab coffee (from first generation immigrants from Palestine).
My wife and I were in an Armenian restaurant a couple of years ago. After the meal, our conversation went something like this:

me - "I'd really like a Turkish coffee, they must have a version of it."

her - "But how do we order it? We can't call it Turkish coffee. Maybe Greek coffee?"

Waiter - "Can I bring you anything else, perhaps some dessert?"

me - "Do you have... umm... strong sweet coffee in little..."

Waiter - "Ahh, Armenian coffee. Of course.
For you as well, Madame?"

I am living in “Arab” countries since decade as an expat, I have opened more than two dozens of restaurants in six different countries, I had managed coffee roastery, I have been in all over Turkey and Greece, then you saying you had a coffee. 🤣

This is beyond silly now.
That’s what I am talking about. 👍🏻

And it's not like you can just go out and buy a d350 or d400 at your local dive shop. And most likely you can't get them serviced there, either. Even if they could scrounge up the parts.

But for me the Atomic is a pretty good second best.
I believe they were still selling service kits as recently as August or Sept last year when i ordered some.

That's the one position in which NO standard barrel design regulator can outperform the D350/400.
With a coaxial diaphragm and exhaust valve, there is zero case geometry fault for the D when on your back. The only thing you have to overcome is a modest 0.6-0.8" of cracking effort.
In contrast, all barrel designs (when lying on your back), have to overcome the fact that the top of the diaphragm is perhaps 1.5 inches higher than the top edge of the exhaust valve. Not only do you have to suck case pressure back to zero, but once you get to zero, you have to keep sucking the additional 1.1" of cracking effort to even open the valve.
They suck (when on your back).

But even not being a fanboi for the latest and greatest, the newest standard shapes (Atomic, SP S620Ti, C370) are still pretty awesome when it comes to exhalation work of breathing. The old D just can't keep up. And the new D, which can, unfortunately lost the coaxial exhaust valve, so it sucks on its back, too!
Inhalation resistance can be set considerably lower on a D350/400 especially with the metal orifice. Breathing is smoother as airflow is more direct but exhalation resistance was higher than most regulators of even their generation. Not a problem for most recreational diving but it became considered an issue with technical depths and of course EU standards which like the NAVY looked at total work of breathing as well as resistance to free-flow. For the average person like me inhalation is far more noticeable and I rarely or probably never approached depths where a D series would be an issue. A person I know ( a very experienced Tech who owned a few dive shops) states that he used to take them on the Andrea Doria wreck without issue. For me, in those days I would of opted for a G250 and/or a Poseidon Jetstream.
Before we closed our shop i ordered a number of products so that I would have the newer stuff. This included both a MK25T & MK19 and the S620x-ti & G260. The Titanium was gifted to me and I am eternally grateful for that, it is now my travel reg but a D400 might get stuffed in with it :). The MK19/G260 Carbon i bought because I liked the MK-19's design and the chrome/brass was back ordered. I decided against the D420 not because it was not good but because it no longer shared coaxial exhaust valve with it's ancestors. I already have a MK25 A700 still unused in a box that I purchased years ago. I have accumulated D400's, 350's, AIR1's and Pilots converted and in tact like many on this board so I feel i'm covered :). The D series were/ are superb for general travel diving and cleaning boat bottoms.
I still have to go through to see what other stuff I have, once i figure it out I may be selling some of it off. the funny thing is the original MK10/G250 I bought in the 80's serves me well to this day and is all I really need... Then again necessity has nothing to do with it.

Inhalation resistance can be set considerably lower on a D350/400 especially with the metal orifice. Breathing is smoother as airflow is more direct but exhalation resistance was higher than most regulators of even their generation. Not a problem for most recreational diving but it became considered an issue with technical depths and of course EU standards which like the NAVY looked at total work of breathing as well as resistance to free-flow. For the average person like me inhalation is far more noticeable and I rarely or probably never approached depths where a D series would be an issue. A person I know ( a very experienced Tech who owned a few dive shops) states that he used to take them on the Andrea Doria wreck without issue. For me, in those days I would of opted for a G250 and/or a Poseidon Jetstream.
Before we closed our shop i ordered a number of products so that I would have the newer stuff. This included both a MK25T & MK19 and the S620x-ti & G260. The Titanium was gifted to me and I am eternally grateful for that, it is now my travel reg but a D400 might get stuffed in with it :). The MK19/G260 Carbon i bought because I liked the MK-19's design and the chrome/brass was back ordered. I decided against the D420 not because it was not good but because it no longer shared coaxial exhaust valve with it's ancestors. I already have a MK25 A700 still unused in a box that I purchased years ago. I have accumulated D400's, 350's, AIR1's and Pilots converted and in tact like many on this board so I feel i'm covered :). The D series were/ are superb for general travel diving and cleaning boat bottoms.
I still have to go through to see what other stuff I have, once i figure it out I may be selling some of it off. the funny thing is the original MK10/G250 I bought in the 80's serves me well to this day and is all I really need... Then again necessity has nothing to do with it.
Where in NY are you? We are now in the Albany area

In Libya we call Turkish coffee "Arabic coffee" but it is Turkish coffee. Other Arab countries do the same but it is actually Turkish coffee. The "real" Arabic coffee is VERY different and is only found in Arab Gulf states. One wouldn't think that they are actually drinking coffee if they weren't told that it is coffee. The Arab Gulf states local version of coffee isn't really found or consumed outside their region. If one wants "Turkish Coffee" in Libya, they would ask for "Arabic Coffee."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom