Buying Gear Tonight - Need Help Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone!

I am new to Scuba diving. I became certified this summer and have planned my next dive trip in March, so instead of renting gear I would like to have my own. Last week I went to a local, recommended, dive shop for their recommendation on gear. They seem to only carry Aqualung/Seaquest gear. Below is what they have recommended for me and my budget (around $1500). Please let me know your thoughts. The gear all seemed nice and fit well, but I just want to make sure I am not just being "sold"

Regulator: Titan Micra ADJ
Alternate: Airsource 3
BCD: SeaQuest Libra (prefer back buoyancy, feels less stuffy)
Computer: Suunto Gekko

I am 5' 4", 135 lbs, shorter torso. I live in Ohio, so most of my diving will be done on vacations.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Take a step back if there is no rush and shop around. This board and some research on it is a good place to start. Don't just jump into whatever the LDS happens to carry

Go ahead....here is what I suggest for a cold water setup.

Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com

Regulator
Primary – Apeks XTX50 (DIN)
Octopus - Apeks XTX50 Octopus
Buoyancy Compensator (BP/W)
Backplate - Dive Rite SS Backplate
Harness - Dive Rite Basic Harness
Wing - Dive Rite Venture Wing

Wetsuit - Xcel Titanium Polar Quad Density
Mask - Cressi-Sub Big Eyes
Fins - Scuba Pro Jet fins
Boots – Blue Reef 5mm
Cloves - Blue Reef 5mm
Compass - Suunto SK-7 Wrist Compass
Presure Gauge - OMS Brass PSI Pressure Gauge
Dive Computer - Suunto Mosquito Wrist Dive Computer
Dive Light - Underwater Kinetics Sunlight “C8 eLed”
Weight Belt – XS Scuba Weight Belt
Reel - Dive Rite Finger Spool
Safety Sausage - Dive Rite Marking Bag
Wistle – “Storm” Whistle, Orange
Knife - K-3 Stainless Steel
Tank - Steel E7 Series 100Cu
Gear Bag – XS Scuba Wheeled Backpack BG110

Like others have mentioned, I would take my time and do some more research. I usually avoid "package deals" and buy exactly what I want. Make sure an LDS near you can service your regs, regardless of which regs you buy.

Also, you should think about trying out all of your gear in the pool before buying. I know some LDS don't really like to do this, but if yours will, definitely do it. Amazing how different a BC can feel dry v. wet.

Hi Everyone!

I am new to Scuba diving. I became certified this summer and have planned my next dive trip in March, so instead of renting gear I would like to have my own. Last week I went to a local, recommended, dive shop for their recommendation on gear. They seem to only carry Aqualung/Seaquest gear. Below is what they have recommended for me and my budget (around $1500). Please let me know your thoughts. The gear all seemed nice and fit well, but I just want to make sure I am not just being "sold"

I am 5' 4", 135 lbs, shorter torso. I live in Ohio, so most of my diving will be done on vacations.

Unless you have to (can't imagine why), I would really avoid buying tonight. I can almost promise you that you will end up buying it all twice. It's not to say that this is bad gear. It's just that your needs / wants will develop with experience. $1500 will get you a long way toward the "right gear for you" as opposed to buying what you can afford at that particular shop - because it's what they sell. It's tough to resist all that shiny new stuff right away but you'll be much happier in the long run if you do.

With the exception of my Titan LX reg, ALL of my first purchases ended up on ebay within a short time. Seaquest / Aqualung / Apeks makes fine gear but with all the potions that exist today, I would be hard pressed to believe that there are not better options for you.

So my advice - Wait. Now good luck with that!

Hi Everyone!

In my not-so-humble opinion:

Regulator: I'm not sure, but I believe the Micra has been discontinued by AL. It is a good breather, but is fussy to service properly, and has terrible bubble interference. I strongly recommend the Titan LX.

Alternate: If one wants an integrated octo, this one is probably as good as any. I recommend the Calypso-Titan conventional octo. It is less expensive, too.

BCD: Libra is an excellent back inflate BC,

Computer: Gekko is an excellent and very reliable computer.

The Aqua Lung Micra has been discontinued. Parts are still available and AL is supporting it but I would not go with the Micra. I agree that the AL Titan LX is an excellent choice. Aqua Lung has come out with a new reg, the Micron, it looks like the replacement for the 'Micra". I dont have alot of info on that reg.
I am glad that you are looking at your LDS. Shop around but be very careful with the internet.

Regulator: I'm not sure, but I believe the Micra has been discontinued by AL. It is a good breather, but is fussy to service properly, and has terrible bubble interference. I strongly recommend the Titan LX.

It's not in the new 2008 catalog....so I'd tend to agree...go with the LX.

All of the gear they're recommending for you is just fine for a new Open Water Diver with only 4 dives. As a vacation diver or occasional weekend warrior, it will serve you well.

The package as you stated is about $1200.00 at LP, so figuring in your tax rate and the added value of buying from an authorized dealer and establishing a relationship with your local shop, $1400 or so would not be a bad price to pay for that gear.

Aqua Lung has come out with a new reg, the Micron, it looks like the replacement for the 'Micra". I dont have alot of info on that reg.

The Micra was just a small second on a Titan....The new Mikron is a whole new reg, first and second. Looks like a tiny little thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom