Buying Gear Tonight - Need Help Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Everyone!

I am new to Scuba diving. I became certified this summer and have planned my next dive trip in March, so instead of renting gear I would like to have my own. Last week I went to a local, recommended, dive shop for their recommendation on gear. They seem to only carry Aqualung/Seaquest gear. Below is what they have recommended for me and my budget (around $1500). Please let me know your thoughts. The gear all seemed nice and fit well, but I just want to make sure I am not just being "sold"

Regulator: Titan Micra ADJ
Alternate: Airsource 3
BCD: SeaQuest Libra (prefer back buoyancy, feels less stuffy)
Computer: Suunto Gekko

I am 5' 4", 135 lbs, shorter torso. I live in Ohio, so most of my diving will be done on vacations.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.

Regulator: Titan Micra ADJ............$349 @ LP
Alternate: Airsource 3...................$175 @ LP
BCD: SeaQuest Libra....................$430 @ LP
Computer: Suunto Gekko..............$250 @ LP (wrist)
-----------------------------------------------
......Total Price at Leisure Pro.......$1,204 @ LP

Looks like the same setup is $300 bucks less at Leisure Pro.

I'd use that as a price basis and ask your shop for a better deal.

Note though that none of that included a pressure gauge and I don't think that the Gekko is air integrated or air-wireless. So if I pressure gauge (average cost $150 in Suunto line) is included, then you're only about $150 off (plus tax). So I'd still ask him to be more cost competitive.

If you get it with the Gekko mounted inline with the pressure gauge from LP, you're looking at this.

Regulator: Titan Micra ADJ............$349 @ LP
Alternate: Airsource 3...................$175 @ LP
BCD: SeaQuest Libra....................$430 @ LP
Computer: Suunto Gekko..............$335 @ LP (console w/ gauge)
-----------------------------------------------
......Total Price at Leisure Pro.......$1,289 @ LP

So still $220 off the cost of $1500.

nothing wrong with this gear setup, but just be aware and educate yourself of what you're paying for something walking in the door is all. :)

hope that helps.

Mike

I agree with the 'don't buy tonight' thought. If you are going away in March there's no pressure to have the gear today. Regarding the equipment choices, all of the items are from major manufacturers, but their selection seems limited. You might want to check the websites of some of the other manufacturers like Oceanic, Sherwood, ScubaPro, Dive Rite and see if they list dealers in your area. More choices will most probably lead to equipment choices that are going to be right for the kind of diving that you want to do and be better fot you in the long run.

You mention that this is a local, recommended dive shop but you do not mention if you have any kind of a relationship with them. Have you, or could you in the future, take any classes with them? Are they a service center for this gear and will they be performing the recommended overhauls on your gear? Do they sponsor trips, either local or more far off that you might be interested in. The long and short of it is that a shop that you have some kind of relationship with is probably going to be better able to assess what kind of gear will be right for you.

As to trying out the gear in a pool- highly recommended!! It is amazing how different a BC will feel while standing in a shop vs loaded with lead, a tank strapped on and horizontal. Are all of the mechanisms easy to reach and work comfortably for you?

If you are looking at gear on Tuesday there is a 99.95% chance that it will still be in the shop on Wednesday, or next week even. Spend some time on research, look around and the chances are much better that by March you will have a much better understanding of the gear available and what will be best for you.

Good luck with the homework!! :coffee:

Enjoy your trip and enjoy the diving.

You all have convinced me to take a couple more weeks to visit some other dive shops. The reason I call this shop recommended is because I really only know one other diver locally and he works with this dive shop. They are very willing to let me try out all the equipment in their pool and will even let me use it out in open water for 30 days or so and still be able to trade it in for something different if it doesn't work right for me.

Also, they do plan trips that take place every month and a half or so. And I think I may go to Utila with them this fall. The dive shop owner took a good hour and a half to walk me through all the different equipment and offered lots of advice.

I guess I am just really excited to have my own new shiny gear. And I am a bit of an impulse buyer, so I will take all of your reco's and at least visit a few other local dive shops that offer other manufacturers.

All of your reco's are greatly appreciated!

What would make a BCD integrated alternate airsource better or worst than the non-integrated type? I really just thought the more streamlined the better. I may not be asking that question right though.

A BCD integrated alternate airsource is like most other gear, it has it's pros and cons. On the pro side, it is one less hose coming from your regulator first stage and one less dangly thing to figure out where to clip it to your BC so that it doesn't drag along in the sand. :D

On the con side, it makes your inflator hose a bit heavier and floppier. Also it can be a feel a bit different in an OOA (out of air) situation as the thing you are breathing from is also the thing you use to vent air from your BC on ascent with. It's not hard to learn, I just might want to try it a time ot two in the pool to feel comfortable with it.

There are lots of good gear brands, dont listen to to much of what a dive shop says cause they will likely try and sell you something you dont need. I could put you in better gear with more adaptability for about the same or less, but I dont sell gear. I have gone through everything gear wise on myself twice because I listened to a dive shop the first time. Look for Scubapro, Dive rite, OMS, Halcyon, DUI, Whites, Henderson, Solus, Salvo, etc. Those are good manufactures that make gear for everyone and some even make stuff for the military, seaquest doesn't make anything good enough for our military.

Gear commonly associated with "tech diving" is a good place to start, all gear can be used in recreational diving but not everything works for tech and all tech gear is gonna be built better and out perform any recreational demands. Tech gear wont have any BS you dont need and is designed to be highly modular and universal. If later on you chose to go tech you would not need anything new really and you would already be used to your gear . Its a big plus but even if you dont go tech you wont regret getting outfitted right from the beginning.

A dive computer is handy especially if all you dive is air or nitrox but you dont need one. If you get a computer get one that will at least work with nitrox. suunto is a good place to start. I use a suunto cobra for recreational diving and as a backup (in gauge mode) for tech diving. A good bottom timer on your wrist and a pressure gauge and tables will suit most anyone well and tends to make you more responsible with recording dive logs (maybe thats just me).

Read up on scubaboard about backplate and wing BCD's there is so much info about them and tobin at deep sea supply would hook you up with the first and last bc you would ever buy for less than that seaquest.

Also, when you're ready to buy, give ScubaToys a call.

They'll put together a package deal for you, based upon what YOU want to buy, not what they want to sell. (Of course, they're also really good at discussion the pros and cons of various gear choices.)

I saved enough off of their already low posted prices with my custom package to pay for my AOW course in Hawaii (airfare, food , booze and lodging not included.)

Good luck and try to enjoy the gear acquisition phase of your diving.

I would recommend to shop around, but when you are ready to buy, do so at a store you trust. It sounds like the place you got the quote is willing to work with you and they will be the ones servicing your gear as well. They sound like an authorized dealer so any work you would need done to your equipment should be done with no hassle.

An in-line octopus is nice and a couple of things to keep in mind. If you forget your BCD, and need to rent, you will also need to rent an octo. If you forget your regulator, you may not be able to get a hose that will fit your BCD (in-line octo/inflater has a different fitting) so you may be stuck renting a BCD as well.

I think the package you picked out is fine, except I would not recommend buying a regulator that has been discontinued. Having your own gear makes a huge difference and you will be a much happier diver.

Those are good manufactures that make gear for everyone and some even make stuff for the military, seaquest doesn't make anything good enough for our military.

Those are some good brands you mentioned, I would avoid a few of them because if you ask me they way overpriced, but trust me, the fact that a company makes gear "good enough" for the military doesn't mean its good gear or a good company. I'm not saying all military gear is bad, I'm just say a lot of military gear is horrible. :D

Go ahead....here is what I suggest for a cold water setup.

Buy scuba gear, scuba diving and snorkeling equipment, and everything underwater from LeisurePro.com

Regulator
Primary – Apeks XTX50 (DIN)
Octopus - Apeks XTX50 Octopus
Buoyancy Compensator (BP/W)
Backplate - Dive Rite SS Backplate
Harness - Dive Rite Basic Harness
Wing - Dive Rite Venture Wing

Wetsuit - Xcel Titanium Polar Quad Density
Mask - Cressi-Sub Big Eyes
Fins - Scuba Pro Jet fins
Boots – Blue Reef 5mm
Cloves - Blue Reef 5mm
Compass - Suunto SK-7 Wrist Compass
Presure Gauge - OMS Brass PSI Pressure Gauge
Dive Computer - Suunto Mosquito Wrist Dive Computer
Dive Light - Underwater Kinetics Sunlight “C8 eLed”
Weight Belt – XS Scuba Weight Belt
Reel - Dive Rite Finger Spool
Safety Sausage - Dive Rite Marking Bag
Wistle – “Storm” Whistle, Orange
Knife - K-3 Stainless Steel
Tank - Steel E7 Series 100Cu
Gear Bag – XS Scuba Wheeled Backpack BG110

Wow and you reckon he can get all that for $1500? Im impressed:wink:

In my not-so-humble opinion:

Regulator: I'm not sure, but I believe the Micra has been discontinued by AL. It is a good breather, but is fussy to service properly, and has terrible bubble interference. I strongly recommend the Titan LX.

Alternate: If one wants an integrated octo, this one is probably as good as any. I recommend the Calypso-Titan conventional octo. It is less expensive, too.

BCD: Libra is an excellent back inflate BC,

Computer: Gekko is an excellent and very reliable computer.

yes you are right the Micra has been discontinued but apparently parts are no problem, also you can get the exhaust swapped out for a later version which is wider and largely fixes the bubble problem, (i have that reg and have just had it overhauled and had the exhaust replaced)

I agree the Gekko is a great computer some of my friends dive with it, only "complaint" is no back light.

As others have said dont rush it, look around, read the forums take ya time or you may end up paying a lot more than you should for gear you may decide isnt actually want you want or need ( I know I have in the past)...goodluck:wink:

Back
Top Bottom