Buying Gear Tonight - Need Help Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You all have convinced me to take a couple more weeks to visit some other dive shops. The reason I call this shop recommended is because I really only know one other diver locally and he works with this dive shop. They are very willing to let me try out all the equipment in their pool and will even let me use it out in open water for 30 days or so and still be able to trade it in for something different if it doesn't work right for me.

Also, they do plan trips that take place every month and a half or so. And I think I may go to Utila with them this fall. The dive shop owner took a good hour and a half to walk me through all the different equipment and offered lots of advice.

I guess I am just really excited to have my own new shiny gear. And I am a bit of an impulse buyer, so I will take all of your reco's and at least visit a few other local dive shops that offer other manufacturers.

All of your reco's are greatly appreciated!

What would make a BCD integrated alternate airsource better or worst than the non-integrated type? I really just thought the more streamlined the better. I may not be asking that question right though.

I am an online dealer and would love to have your business, as would every other distance dealer that frequents these boards. That said, I think you would be perfectly safe making the purchase you are planning from your store. It seems that they have offered you plenty of chances to try the gear and change your mind. The prices they have quoted you are pretty good (not the lowest, but pretty good) and the stuff you are looking at is good stuff.

Opinions on this board will range from extreme to extreme. If you want the pride of having your gear now, you are free to do that. After all, it is your money and you don't need protection from any of us. If you trust the advice of the folks at your local store, and if they are willing to back it up with satisfaction guarantees, then by all means, do as you want.

Good luck and welcome to our great sport.

Phil Ellis

You have to be careful when buying gear so newly certified. As you dive in different conditions and learn new diving techniques you are going to opt for different gear profiles. Sometimes it is more economic to rent gear until you have more training and dive experience. I personally ran out right after getting certified and bought all kinds of dive gear. I spent a lot and have practically changed, replaced, or sold 90% of what I originally bought. Looking back I should have taken my girl friend's approach which was to dive, renting the gear I needed and slowly get my own gear as I saw different techniques I wanted to use while diving.

The profile of gear your dive center has recommended seems alright. I am sure they asked you questions like:

Are you going to be diving primarily in the Caribbean or warm water?
Are you going to dive local lakes and quarries?
Etc, etc.

Seaquest and Aqua Lung (both the same company) make excellent gear but you may want more expierence to decide what really is right for you.

Again . . . Thank you ALL for such great advice. I just found out that the relatives I am visiting for my March trip have gear I can use and so I wouldn't even have to rent, so I am going to wait a few more months before I purchase (hopefully can then save money for the gear instead of using my CC). I just hate the thought of using gear that hundreds of other strangers have used.

I do have an interest in the Wing/Back Plate (not sure that is what you call it) set up, my instructors/dive shop never really told me anything about it they just said the Jacket version is most popular/preferred. I love the idea of something more streamlined and lighter. Alot of people have mentioned on other posts that this form of gear is mostly used in double tank type dives. I am not even sure why you would need two tanks? Longer down time I am guessing?

Does anyone know of Dive Shops in the Cincinnati area that sell and service the wing/back plate set up?

Thanks Again!
:) Jennifer

Lots of us use a BPW with just a single tank- just because it is more streamlined and find it easier to maintain trim in it.

Diving doubles is usefull if you are doing "technical" dives that require a geater supply of air for reserve in case you can't reach the surface within your dive plan (particularly when in overhead environments, such as wreck penetrations or caves). When doing technical type diving you want to plan to use 1/3 your air for 1/2 your dive and another 1/3 for your return - keeping 1/3 as a reserve, in case you have a problem or delay. If you dive doubles, a BPW is required to handle the weight and keep the tanks stable.

For normal open water diving, a single tank on a BPW is fine. There are different wings for use with singles and doubles - get the proper wing for the type of diving you will do.

The nice thing about a BPW is you will probably never outgrow the system. If you ever go into "tech" diving, you will probably just buy a second BPW to go with your doubles and a whole lot of extra gear ( 2 x regs, etc) and just keep the two sets - take the single tank rig when you travel to those great warm water locations.

Take your time and research it carefully - ask all the questions you can think of - and maybe find someone local who can show you their BPW. It is great that you don't have to rush into the purchase - that will avoid having to redo it later.

Ultimately you have to have your gear serviced so a relationship is important. That said, I've bought stuff from the local LDS that is reasonably priced to what I find online and online for other things. The comments about buying gear when you're new and having to replace it is true. Take your time, I have used the "typical" jacket bc. Nice in the beginning but after diving a while it just seems loosy goosy. I moved from that to a DiveRite Transpac with a wing. Love it for single tanks, very stable yet open/uncluttered and it was like night and day. I'll never go back to a jacket and it was cheaper. Kids are diving now so I passed my Transpac on to my son and just bought a Transplate/Oxycheq Mach V wing this week. Haven't dove it yet but I can tell I will like it even more than the Transpac. Both the Transpac and Transplate came from Larry/Joe at Scubatoys. Very accomodating/easy to deal with/reasonably priced with a discount for Scubaboard members. They make even better deals on stuff they have laying around/last year's models/small demand colors. I've also bought from Phil at Dive Sports, same experience. Both are here on the board helping members which says something that can't be said for some of the other web dealers. It's AFTER the sale that really counts. And that includes your local dive shop, will they be as accomdating after you had them the hard earned cash? Bottom line, take your time and read as much as you can!

To Blauvelt.jm

I work for a dive shop in Buffalo, i will tell you that we sell Oceanic, Sherwood and Aqualung. One of the things that you might want to take a look at is the Hera BC from Oceanic. It is a BC designed for women specifically, it has a hybrid bladder and has adjustable shoulder straps. If you are interested in driving to buffalo the shop i work for can set you up for gear and give you a great price on it. Below are the links for our website and our email address. The retail page on our website is still being worked on. I can tell you that the instructors and customers that have used the Hera love it because it is so comfortable for them. Also with the oceanic gear there is an alliance service agreement where you never pay for parts on standard overhauls and bc service as long as you have it serviced every year. This warranty is good at any authorized oceanic dealer.

Dip'N Dive - dipndive.com - Home
dipndive@verizon.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom