DIR- Generic Help putting together a beginner gear set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll chime in my 2 cents, since between my son and I we have a handful of configurations that fit your description.

BLUF: the DGX BP/W combo is an excellent value and quality seems on par with "premium" branded gear.

In the photos from right to left are DGX aluminum plate w/30lb wing, Halcyon aluminum plate w/25lb Dive Rite Travel EXP and Halcyon stainless plate w/40lb Eclipse.

The 40lb Eclipse dives the same (in my experience) as the 30 and save for the side panels the dimensions are nearly the same. The 30lb DGX had a taller and narrower profile. Underwater I rarely have more than a puff in my BC bladder, so this one doesn't seem to dive any differently than the Halcyon single tank wings.

Notice in the deflated and side views, the Halcyon (and less so the Dive Rite) curl up the sides of the cylinder more. I rotate my hip and use the butt dump to move air out, so don't notice the Halcyon trapping much air.

As far as the plates are concerned the Halcyon aluminum plate's holes and slots are nicely chamfered, while the DGX plate needs tubular webbing at the slots to protect the harness from excess abrasion. Both Halcyon and DGX stainless plates are chamfered.

Harness webbing. The Halcyon is noticeably softer to the hand, although the DGX is a bit stiffer (though not bad).

Trim pockets, Halcyon will hold a 4lb soft weight, while Dive Rite's will hold 5lb. I did not evaluate other trim pockets that only relied on velcro (w/o buckle).

Wing materials all seem to be a similar denier and thickness nylon. Bladder materials also seem similar. The DGX wing (like Halcyon and Dive Rite) is made in the USA.

For regulators, I'm partial to Dive Rite XT1 and either the XT2 or 4. Unless your student decides later to travel abroad alot, they'll have no trouble getting service. Sealed, balanced diaphragm and they won't break the bank, especially when they need a second 1st stage latter if they decide to go into doubles. Of course, they could save a few dollars with DGX D6, which is similar, but unless they are going to service their own regs or mail them in for service, they may have a more complicated time if trying to service locally.

Again, just my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Ken
Ken, this is super helpful, thank you!

I do have some experience with the 30 lb Halcyon wing, and I am not a big fan. Used in with a large single SS cylinder and found the shape awkward. I think an 18-20 lb wing would be perfectly suitable for warm water, sAL80 applications.

That Dive Rite of yours seems to be perfectly shaped. The inflator length in both DR and DGX tho... :eek:

So what I have stumbled upon so far.
HOG "Intro to tech" complete single regulator package, unfortunately with braided hoses and with a few unneeded bits and pieces - $599 on Divers' Supply.​
DGX Gears Singles BP/W package with SS backplate - $424 on DGX. Still looking for an option with short SS B/P and 18-22 lb wing.​
Scubapro 330M BT - yay!! Still alive!! $150​
The most economical short plate I know if is the dive rite one. I don't really understand why they are so hard to find, are divers under 5'4" that rare?

That Dive Rite of yours seems to be perfectly shaped. The inflator length in both DR and DGX tho... :eek:

Believe it or not the DGX wing's inflator is 5" shorter than how it came! Both DGX and Dive Rite seem to like the inflator with a 17" corrugated hose. The DGX pictured was replaced with a 12" corrugated hose and paired with a 18" lp inflator. The DGX rides a little taller than either the Halcyon or Dive Rite and the positioning of the upper bladder connection makes the inflator hose seem longer (relative to its position).

All of my Halcyon wings (Eclipse and Evolve) have 14" corrugated hoses. I also use an 18" lp inflator hose with these. Both the DGX and Halcyon, when equipped this way, "wear" the same. The inflator falls right at my left hand shoulder D.

If you are looking for an 18lb wing, I will say that the DGX 30 shares the same profile as a smaller lift wing (like the Apex WDX 18).

Halcyon has regulators at 30% off until August 31st. They are Scubapro regulators with a Halcyon badge and might be worth a look.

Halcyon has regulators at 30% off until August 31st. They are Scubapro regulators with a Halcyon badge and might be worth a look.
Thanks! Is there a secret code or what not? I see regular prices on Extreme Exposure, and I don't think Halcyon sells directly.

Thanks! Is there a secret code or what not? I see regular prices on Extreme Exposure, and I don't think Halcyon sells directly.
Hi, there is no code. Here is the link to Paragon Dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom