Bulletproof reg with a design that's been around forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy an older Scubapro MK2 R190 - Indestructable, inexpensive and extremely reliable

Most importantly, configuration
first_stage_dst.jpg

which way do you want the hoses to route

ImageGen.aspx

or something ridiculous like this

Have used both - no difference in performance and as far as hose routing -who gives a crap... I'll take the $200 MK2 R190 over anything Apeks ever produced - hell - over anything else Scubapro ever produced. And no I'm not a SP dealer... just been using them for more than 10 years commercially in some harsh conditions, beat the heck out of it, never serviced them and they work as good as the day they were bought.

For dead nuts simple and reliable, I'd go with the Mk2/r190. No games no gimmicks. Not the best breather out there, but its very robust and will tolerate some abuse.

I'm interested in a regulator that's basically bulletproof and uses a time tested design that has been around forever.

Poseidon Cyclon, and Jetstream.
Scubapro Mk2.
Aqualung Titan (the old style).
Sherwood Brut.

I know there are the very high end stuff from scubapro, atomic, etc but I'd like to avoid that for now. I prefer something that's a workhorse, economical, bulletproof, and reliable.

Poseidon Cyclon. The Jetstream cost more.
Scubapro Mk2.
Aqualung Titan.
Sherwood Brut.

Plus if it's cheap to rebuild and one that I can buy parts for (eventually).

Dive Rite.
H.O.G.
You can ebay parts for other regs, but the two above don't require you to have to resort to ebay for parts.

I only do recreational diving in waters that typically range from 45-55 degrees F. Any regulators fit this description?

Take care,
Mitch

Here you go. Poseidon :: Regulators

Not many can stand shoulder to shoulder with poseiden.

This.

The Poseidon Cyklon has been around with only minor evolutionary changes since 1958.

It hasn't changed because it hasn't had to. They got it right the first time.

Oh, if you go this way, get the brass one. Metal>plastic.

Sherwood would be my pick for a super simple robust regulator that is cheap.

Though you would have to find it on e-bay as a used reg - Sherwood Oasis + I'm not as crazy about the newer Sherwoods.
Another great choice would be ScubaPro MK25 and G250 second.

Been reading all the reply's and not a soul has mentioned the oldest regulators.............for his needs a USD Royal Aqua Master, DA or Voit Triesti.........converted with a Mossback Mk3 or Mk4 (avaliable in the next few months) or if you can't wait that long, there is Luis Hero's excellent Phoenix 1st stage adapter for modern diving.

Regs are used (but reefvagabond stated old regs, so old is used) but parts are available now from Vintage Scuba Supply.com as are rebuilds, and rebuilds are silly simple............they don't freeze in cold water, no bubbles to distract your vision, or hearing.........light mouthpiece mostly just floats, no weight on the teeth.......

NO purge, but a little training old style corrects that.........I would not recommend one for a new diver or a diver with few hours..........one needs to be calm and use to the water enviroment.....I think new divers need that purge button today.......yesteryear? Purge buttons didn't exist until the single hose hit the market.

Clearing hoses needs an .5 hr of training in a pool to be proficent. And understanding the physics of body orientation in the water vs reg position and your lungs takes about a hour.

But they are simple, easy to maintain........HP side is the same as the Conshelf save the removable HP volcano crown. IP uses the same diaphragm and washer, Second stage uses the same rubber seal..............all other parts will out last your life.........as it has others already.....

Also, great for photographers reefvagabond!

Oldmossback

Sherwood Brut fits your needs best. SP MK 2 is a close second. Poseidon's are great regs, but expensive, hard to get parts for and hard to work on. I'm sure someone will not agree, but Poseidon parts have been very hard to get at times. Wonder why there are so many Sherwood's in rental? Answer: Simple with few moving parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom