Bulletproof reg with a design that's been around forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have used both - no difference in performance and as far as hose routing -who gives a crap... I'll take the $200 MK2 R190 over anything Apeks ever produced - hell - over anything else Scubapro ever produced. And no I'm not a SP dealer... just been using them for more than 10 years commercially in some harsh conditions, beat the heck out of it, never serviced them and they work as good as the day they were bought.

This +1

I vote for Scubapro MK2/R190, about as simple as it gets and bullet proof.
The one before that was a MK3/108, basic same design but the second stage is simpler and all metal. There's one for sale right now in classifieds.
Both can easily be rebuilt in about 10 minutes.
Northeast Scuba Supply sells a parts kit for the MK2 so you can avoid the whole SP dealer run around.

The other one I would mention is Aqualung Conshelf/Titan. A basic diaphram design and theoretically better for cold water.

If I was only allowed to only pick one modern style single hose reg to use for the rest of my life I would pick a MK2/R190 over everything else. It's all I need.

Apeks regulators. I bought a second-hand pair of T50's when I first started diving. They were old when I bought them... but functioned perfectly for 7-8 years before I sold them and upgraded to Poseidons. When I sold them, they still functioned perfectly and actually fetched more than I initially paid for them on Ebay. A smart investment in scuba kit? It can't be....!

My next set (Poseidon Cyclones) were a design that has been around for decades. They were excellent regulators in every respect - I only sold them because of a lack of convenient service/support when I moved to SE Asia.

As a recommendation, I would say that you cannot go wrong with Apeks.

I would not get any diaphram reg. It may seem counter-intuitive but sealed regs are gonna be finicky without service over time and dives.

The unbalanced pistons recommended so far (SP Mk2 and Sherwood Brut) will last years longer without servicing. Not the best breathers, but make up for it with robustness.

I have to disagree with the last comment about diaphragm vs piston regs.
For a dive and then forget reg I would choose a diaphragm.....not that there's a huge difference between something like a MK2, R2 or Calypso compared to a Conshelf or Apeks, however, the nod, in my experience, for being able to withstand very extended intervals, has to go to the diaphragms.
Bruts theoretically should be good but the Sherwood teflon seat is soft and tends to give out well before the o rings.

I have to disagree with the last comment about diaphragm vs piston regs.
For a dive and then forget reg I would choose a diaphragm.....not that there's a huge difference between something like a MK2, R2 or Calypso compared to a Conshelf or Apeks, however, the nod, in my experience, for being able to withstand very extended intervals, has to go to the diaphragms.
Bruts theoretically should be good but the Sherwood teflon seat is soft and tends to give out well before the o rings.

I agree, I pick up old DH regs (very similar or the same design internally to Conshelfs) that have not see service in 40+ years, the majority of the first stages still lock up solid and work fine....the second stages are usually shot, mostly from age but that is a different matter. I make a point to test any reg I get before I take it apart, mainly our of curiosity. The beauty of the MK-2 or similar piston regs is everything, including the seats can be gotten aftermarket (common Orings) or DIY. The HP seat in a flow by piston reg (Mk-2 and the like) can easily be made at home with simple tools, plus it can be flipped over for a second go, same for the LP seat in the second stages common with these regs. The second stage is the problem with regs like Apeks, HOGs and the rest of the seconds of similar design. The LP seats are not something you can DIY or flip over plus they use tiny Orings that are not easy to find locally.

Of the lot, Posidens would be at the bottom of my list. They may have been around a long time and great performers but a req that is hard to get parts for, has expensive internal parts and is finicky to service is not one I would classify as simple and bulletproof.

Lots of great info. Looks like the Scubapro MK2 got the most mentions by a long shot followed by Aqualung Conshelf/Titan, then Sherwood and Apex.

Just to clarify I'm looking to get my first regulator, but I don't necessarily mean used. I'd prefer a new one that is based on a design that hasn't changed much (or basically exactly the same) because it just works.

Overall Scubapro's MK2 sounds pretty good so far but I'm a little curious about the Aqualung Conshelf. I can't find it on Aqualung's website. Is getting it used the only way to buy it? Is the Titan very simliar?

Here are the equivalents in 1st stages:
Conshelf=Titan
SEA=Legend

For a mid priced/low priced new reg with the performance of a top of the line model it would be difficult to beat a:
Aqualung Micron/Titan LX
Apeks XTX 20
Zeagle Envoy
HOG D1
.....all balanced diaphragm 1st stages with balanced 2nds. All have the ability to have "extended" service intervals and remain very stable.

I agree, I pick up old DH regs (very similar or the same design internally to Conshelfs) that have not see service in 40+ years, the majority of the first stages still lock up solid and work fine....the second stages are usually shot, mostly from age but that is a different matter. I make a point to test any reg I get before I take it apart, mainly our of curiosity. The beauty of the MK-2 or similar piston regs is everything, including the seats can be gotten aftermarket (common Orings) or DIY. The HP seat in a flow by piston reg (Mk-2 and the like) can easily be made at home with simple tools, plus it can be flipped over for a second go, same for the LP seat in the second stages common with these regs. The second stage is the problem with regs like Apeks, HOGs and the rest of the seconds of similar design. The LP seats are not something you can DIY or flip over plus they use tiny Orings that are not easy to find locally.

Of the lot, Posidens would be at the bottom of my list. They may have been around a long time and great performers but a req that is hard to get parts for, has expensive internal parts and is finicky to service is not one I would classify as simple and bulletproof.

Totally agree, I have seen many people have free-flow problems with poseiden regs.

I used one old sherwood Brute first stage for YEARS of golf ball diving. I did 9-10 tanks a week for years without any service (and at such a shallow depth that there were many more breathing cycles than a typical diver would have for a tank). The only thing I did was take the cap off, clean the piston O-ring and smear some grease around. I doubt the first stage had been service for 5-8 years prior to my use.

The dry bleed system just seems to work and for really dirty water diving, I have to think that a sealed piston is better than one exposed to the elements (for longevity).

I've been using SP MK2 for a few years now as a pony bottle reg, not much actual use, but it does seem to be holding pressure after a few years of just rinsing and soaking it.

Lots of great info. Looks like the Scubapro MK2 got the most mentions by a long shot followed by Aqualung Conshelf/Titan, then Sherwood and Apex.

Just to clarify I'm looking to get my first regulator, but I don't necessarily mean used. I'd prefer a new one that is based on a design that hasn't changed much (or basically exactly the same) because it just works.

Overall Scubapro's MK2 sounds pretty good so far but I'm a little curious about the Aqualung Conshelf. I can't find it on Aqualung's website. Is getting it used the only way to buy it? Is the Titan very simliar?

The Conshelf has not been offered to the public (still available to military) for a number of years. You can pick them up on eBay sometimes for little of nothing (got one a few weeks back for less than $15) it was partly dissambled but was all there so restoring it was not a problem. The older model Titan is a Conshelf in a different skin.

As for new, the SP MK-2 is still basically the same as it's always been, same for the less expensive Sherwoods....the SR-1 in a different animal and one to be avoided IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom