Bulletproof reg with a design that's been around forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The MK25 has an interesting reputation and history for cold water use. One one hand, it has been a classic of the tech diving community for years and has been on thousands of very cold water dives without incident. OTOH, stories about cold water freeze-ups with the MK25, especially when it's paired with the S600, are not uncommon. Since the MK17 came out, I suspect many MK25 users have switched to it for cold water.

Atomic first stages are very similar to the MK25, with one big exception; atomic decided to retain the practice of packing the ambient chamber with grease to prevent freezing, much like the earlier SP balanced piston first. This is a tried-and-true method of sealing piston 1st stages; it's too bad SP didn't stay with it. I was able to find a few SPEC boots for my MK10s and now have a pair of sealed MK10s. They work great in the frigid Texas water.

I would go with the us divers se2 or xiv. there the workhorses of the armed services and most any search and rescue or professional divers, if that means anything!

Lots and lots of opinions on this one. Arriving at my opinion for a bulletproof regulator means that I have to eliminate plastic second stages (they can crack with misuse / abuse) and double hose rigs because of the increased maintenance associated with them. My choices for a new unit would therefore be either the Mares MR-22 Abyss or, if you can still find one on the shelf or on E-Bait, an Aqualung Conshelf XIV. Both can trace their origins to the 1960s, both are low maintenance, reliable, high performance regulators which will last a lifetime.

Lots and lots of opinions on this one. Arriving at my opinion for a bulletproof regulator means that I have to eliminate plastic second stages (they can crack with misuse / abuse) and double hose rigs because of the increased maintenance associated with them. My choices for a new unit would therefore be either the Mares MR-22 Abyss or, if you can still find one on the shelf or on E-Bait, an Aqualung Conshelf XIV. Both can trace their origins to the 1960s, both are low maintenance, reliable, high performance regulators which will last a lifetime.

Okay, since when has a double hose required "increased maintenance?" IMO, they are actually easier to maintain than a single hose.

Okay, since when has a double hose required "increased maintenance?" IMO, they are actually easier to maintain than a single hose.

For the average diver, rinsing and properly drying the hoses after every day diving, plus the lack of LDS support in rebuilding and tuning makes them more difficult to upkeep. For the DIYer, I would agree with you, they are easier to maintain. A two stage DH with the Phoenix valve can even handle modern auxiliary equipment, but just try diving from a typical cattle boat in the Florida keys with your single stage short yoke USD Mistral, a J valve 2250 psi steel 72 and a manually equipped inflator horse collar BC. It won't happen, and the majority of SBers have no desire to dive a DH, hence their elimination from my list of bulletproof regulators.

For the average diver, rinsing and properly drying the hoses after every day diving, plus the lack of LDS support in rebuilding and tuning makes them more difficult to upkeep. For the DIYer, I would agree with you, they are easier to maintain. A two stage DH with the Phoenix valve can even handle modern auxiliary equipment, but just try diving from a typical cattle boat in the Florida keys with your single stage short yoke USD Mistral, a J valve 2250 psi steel 72 and a manually equipped inflator horse collar BC. It won't happen, and the majority of SBers have no desire to dive a DH, hence their elimination from my list of bulletproof regulators.

Yeah, I was speaking from the perspective of a DIY diver who services his own regulators.

From what I've heard about cattle boats, I don't think I'd want to dive from one. From what I've heard, there are some vintage equipment friendly boats scattered about, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom