Bull sharks in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that the two previous posters live and frequently dive the Keys.

Would you say then, that anyone trying to warn someone from Canada away from snorkeling in the shallow reefs of the Upper Keys, telling them of bull shark dangers, may be full of bull-:turd:?

Yes, it is the ocean, sharks live in it, but is warning someone away from the Creature Feature because of the possibility of bull sharks eating their offspring on the same level as telling someone to not drive by the airport because a jetliner may crash into their car?

In Florida, don't we have a higher chance of being struck by lightning, or shot by a gang member, than being eaten by a bull shark?

Says the librarian who had a gang member take a swing at her on Monday and calmly told him that he was a piece of :turd: as she called 9-911.

Would you say then, that anyone trying to warn someone from Canada away from snorkeling in the shallow reefs of the Upper Keys, telling them of bull shark dangers, may be full of bull something else?

You guys are just afraid I might actually come down there some day :wink:

You guys are just afraid I might actually come down there some day :wink:
Now THAT'S scary!!! Steve in the water? I'm moving to Iowa! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

We are coming to Key Largo and I was inquiring about diving/snorkeling.

In this thread, azchipka indicated bull sharks have been seen in the last 2 months. Has anyone seen reporting of this? Is that a rare occurence, or is Key Largo frequented by bull sharks?
Truly, last thing you need to worry about, whether diving or snorkling -

Don't know the poster you mention - Azchipka - however if Debby is correct (and she almost always is!), I'm diving longer than he is old - I read his comment in the previous thread you cited; lets just say you are not likely to see fins at any of the sites you are likely to go - sometimes - rarely - you see sharks at the deep wrecks, and nurse and reef sharks sometimes - I always feel fortunate to see them. They are not looking for you as food!

Places like Jupiter 130+ miles up the coast are a different story - you are safe in the Keys!

Was diving the Keys last week over the holidays. We dove the Bibb, Duane & Eagle on three separate days. We saw a total of 3 Bullsharks during our dives. We had great vis and wanted the sharks to come in closer for some photos opps but they stayed at least 50 to 70 feet away from us even while spearing. Are there Bulls in the Keys? Yes... are they a problem any diver should be concerned with... NO. Relax.... get in the water and enjoy what the ocean has to offer.

I only have 104 dives off Key Largo since 2004 including 20 on the Spiegel Grove and 19 on the Duane, so my experiece is limited. I consider myself very lucky to have seen 1 Hammerhead and 3 Reefsharks on shallow reef dives and 2 Bullsharks on the Duane. Unfortunately, the sharks were never very interested in hanging around with a diver so the encounters were brief but memorable.

I look forward to my next visit, I may get lucky again.

Good diving, Craig

I found the picture I was thinking of:
DSC_00039.JPG

[/img]
That is a really nice picture.

Thanks for all the advise. It's much reassuring.

It was -20C here in Toronto last night. Would be nice to get to warm water for diving/snorkeling in March (although my kids would miss hockey and daughter miss playing in the snow).

Thanks.

Let us know when y'all are doing this if you want some company. You just never know when the local SB-ers might want to join you!

Yep-- SB'ers have diving buddies all over the Globe! -- Post yer plans and dive with the Locals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom