Bull sharks in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debby, I agree Bull Sharks have not been a problem in the Keys, but that wasn't what he asked. He asked if they are there. They certainly are seen in the Keys. They probably see us much more often than we see them. I've seen a few in the Keys on a number of trips.

Walter, the backstory is that a few days ago, the OP asked about snorkeling and SCUBA and the creature feature, and a new forum member who recently moved to the keys, and works for a competitor of the op who runs the creature feature, tried to scare the OP off from the dive. So, while you are correct, I think that it was wrong for the Keys newbie to use scare tactics to try to drum up business.

Besides, the two dive ops are in the same part of the Keys so hello, if there are bull sharks at one dive op's sites they will be at the other's.

Walter, the backstory is that a few days ago, the OP asked about snorkeling and SCUBA and the creature feature, and a new forum member who recently moved to the keys, and works for a competitor of the op who runs the creature feature, tried to scare the OP off from the dive. So, while you are correct, I think that it was wrong for the Keys newbie to use scare tactics to try to drum up business.

That's from another thread???

The question I see in this thread is, "Are there Bull Sharks in the Keys?"

Answer, "Yes"

The only time a saw a bull shark was on the Duane. That being said I was diving in Looe Key(25ft feet of water) and saw a Tiger Shark

I have no data to support this but I see more Bullsharks in close here in Fort Pierce than anywhere else. I think it is do to our huge estuary lagoon as Bullsharks swim up into freshwater to hunt and are evolved to specialize where other sharks can not go.

I have never been bitten yet. I get close enough to get my sac rate WAY up many times. I have even swam back in a few times because I got nervous.

Boat dives however in Jupiter I only see them if there are sucessful spearo's on board which is why I love to go on this trips. In my experience if you are not holding a thrashing bleeding fish you will not get bit.

I found the picture I was thinking of:

Here's a wide angle shot of the bow of the Duane. Notice the black shape at 8:30 in the picture.

DSC_00039.JPG

Here's a closeup (This is the same image, but zoomed in. I shoot 12mp's so it's reduced to fit - remember the scale based on the original image)
shark37.jpg

i've observed bull sharks on the duane(approx.7-8 years ago, bull's were frequently seen on the duane for about a year. rumor has it upper keys headboats fished them off the wreck), bibb, eagle and twice @ banana reef in the greacian SPA. having said that, bull sharks are rarely observed by snorkelers or scubadivers in the upper keys and your chances of seeing one, is remote, at best,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
keylargo

OK friends, having said all that, and with the knowledge that the famous dive known as Creature Feature has been going on since the late 1970's...does anyone have any reason to tell the OP that having his kids snorkel while the Creature Feature is going on is a bad idea?

absolutely none,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Of course not

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom