Bull sharks in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are lucky enough to see some bull sharks off Key Largo you should consider yourself fortunate. They aren't a common sight but a special one. I may have seen four small ones swimming around French Reef over 20 years ago. I spent an entire dive just following them around shooting pictures, slides in those days. More recently I saw a large one free diving on the Duane and was able to capture it on video. He was swimming across the bow in 130 ft. of water totally disinterested in me or the SCUBA divers on the wreck. Was lucky to have been able to see it much less be able to video it. One of the folks didn't get a good look at it from the bow thought it might have been a goliath grouper. The visibility to the eye was less than the video suggests. As you can see it was a bit larger than most g. groupers too. It is on the clip along with a lot of the Duane at:

NEW Full Video - Free Diving The Duane - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Last edited:
Let us know when y'all are doing this if you want some company. You just never know when the local SB-ers might want to join you!
You mean play hockey, or making snowman/forts with my daughter?:)

I've booked the Creature dive with Capt. Slates for Fri. Mar. 12 morning. Still trying to figure out what we can do in the other 1.5 day, before having to drive to FLL to get on Costa Fortuna cruise on Sun. Mar. 14. Even thinking of the possibility to drive to Key West (and back) one day.

Two years my wife and I came to FL and booked to stay in Key Largo for 2 days and 1 day in Key West. But tropical storm Faye kept us in a FLL hotel and we had to cancel the Key Largo bookings. Still drove all the way to Key West, so we saw the sunset in Mallory SQ and the rest. This time certainly hope we'll get good diving/snorkeling in Key Largo.

Odds are no Topical Storms in March.
icosm14.gif

You mean play hockey, or making snowman/forts with my daughter?:)
If she is planning on doing this in Key Largo, she is going to be mighty disappointed.

I've booked the Creature dive with Capt. Slates for Fri. Mar. 12 morning. Still trying to figure out what we can do in the other 1.5 day, before having to drive to FLL to get on Costa Fortuna cruise on Sun. Mar. 14. Even thinking of the possibility to drive to Key West (and back) one day.
Remind me before March 12 and schedule permitting, I'd love to come down and join you. The Creature Feature is a BLAST! For the rest of the time, there are hundreds of cool things to do in Miiami-Dade and Broward, if you don't end up going to Key West.

Creature feature is a great time and with out a doubt a do not miss for Key Largo. Other cool things would include dives on the spiegel grove & the eagle. Perhaps a visit to the Dive Museum, and the Turtle Hospital.

Torontonian:
Last I checked, snow has been coming down in FL.

True, but only about as far south as Tampa and it didn't stick. It's never snowed in the Keys. Officially snow has fallen as far south as Fort Lauderdale. Flurries have been seen in Miami, but not at an official weather station. You won't be building snow forts or snow men in Key Largo.

True, but only about as far south as Tampa and it didn't stick. It's never snowed in the Keys. Officially snow has fallen as far south as Fort Lauderdale. Flurries have been seen in Miami, but not at an official weather station. You won't be building snow forts or snow men in Key Largo.

Official or not it's still dang cold for Florida.

Now that's a fact!

Last snow on record was 1977. I hope it doesn't happen again.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom