Bull sharks in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are coming to Key Largo and I was inquiring about diving/snorkeling.

In this thread, azchipka indicated bull sharks have been seen in the last 2 months. Has anyone seen reporting of this? Is that a rare occurence, or is Key Largo frequented by bull sharks?

I have already mentioned to you that I've been diving and snorkeling in Key Largo since the mid-seventies. I owned a home down there until 2005 (sold in a divorce) and kept my well-equipped Grady-White down there, and spent summers down there many years ago on my Formula Liberator. If bull sharks were a problem, I suspect I may have known about it. I have never, ever seen one down there. Azchipka is a chest-thumping 29-yo newbie who is trying to steer all SB business away from the competition to the dive op he is contracted to (but not employed by) so take anything he posts with not just a grain of salt, but the whole shaker.

Are there bull sharks in Key Largo this time of year? More than likely. I see them frequently this time of year on the Duane. I have never had a problem with them. The only time one has come anywhere near me was when I left my camera on the boat. I missed some great shots.

The only sharks I've seen in the Keys are nurse and bonnet heads.

I wish I could be fortunate enough to see other species down there.

We are coming to Key Largo and I was inquiring about diving/snorkeling.

In this thread, azchipka indicated bull sharks have been seen in the last 2 months. Has anyone seen reporting of this? Is that a rare occurence, or is Key Largo frequented by bull sharks?

Seeing Bull Sharks on the deeper wrecks is not uncommon.

I've seen Bull sharks on several of my dives on the Duane.

If you really want to see them.

1) Go down first
2) go down as fast as you safely can

Generally, they scatter quickly when they hear the divers coming.

Who has a link to the shark attack database...and can show how many shark attacks have happened in the Keys to non-spearos?

That one?

That is a good start Steve but I think somewhere there is a site that would give locations and circumstances (and I'm too busy to search for it right now). I believe that nearly all attacks are either surfers or spearos, and rarely a beach swimmer. And that just about all of them are in central to northern Florida waters.

I still think that based on my decades of familiarity with diving the Upper Keys, if it were a problem, I'd be one of the ones to know about it...and to warn the OP.

I have seen bull sharks they have been on the Duane and Bibb. Most of us who spear will hit the Bibb becuase when the dive boats pull up to the Duane everything leaves that wreck and heads to the Bibb. It's like a school bell everytime.
As far as bull sharks on the reefs here NO worries you wont see one and if you do please have a camera becuase you probably will never see one again.

Please dont take one mans word over everyone here. Most everyone is SoFl and even abroad have dove these reefs for may many years and still dive them. You will only get good advice from the regulars here and thats a fact. Some may joke around but when it all comes down to it, they will always give you the best advice.
Becky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom