Buddy missing on surface - What would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What would I have done?

1. Adequate pre-dive planning, including the order in which the divers would proceed, a discussion of signals, turn pressures, identification of the person who would "direct" the dive, separation procedures, light signals, goals/objectives, planned run times, etc....

2. Adequate equipment. Personally, I like can lights because they allow you to stay in passive communication with your buddies. With regard to the pony issue, I carry one also. Its banded to my primary, has a manifold connection, and is exactly the same size. Its heavy, but it provides redundancy that a pony lacks.

3. Adequate training. Team skills are particularly important when diving as a trio because you've complicated the situation by adding another person. If everyone is not ready to operate in a trio, thumb the dive.

4. Rather than writing "stay close" on your slate, discuss what you mean by this term. Is it 10 feet, 5 feet or touch contact. Do the same thing with turn pressures. If the buddies don't agree, don't dive with them. If they don't adhere to procedures, thumb the dive before they compromise safety.

5. Once you're back on the surface, stay there. Look for bubbles. Conduct a surface search. But descending, thereby creating a significant risk of a second victim, doesn't help anyone. In addition, consider this. You had a nearly empty 80 and a 19 with a single reg. What exactly would you have done if you had found your buddy? You could not have effectively shared air anyway.

6. Check surface support to determine whether the buddy had surfaced. If not, activate the emergency system and notify the people in charge of the area (if any). Let other divers, who may have actually bothered to get rescue certified, know so that they can help.

The failure cascade on this dive put you at risk. The risk could have been reduced with proper planning and execution.

With regard to rescue as a pre-requisite for "tech" training, whether its a required or not, its a very good idea because it teaches you to manage stressful situations encountered while diving and allows you to provide aid to a buddy. Personally, I wouldn't even consider a tech dive unless my buddy was certified in rescue and first aid.

More importantly for the purposes of the present discussion, a decent rescue class would have taught you some of the skills needed to handle the situation.

Yeah, I've been to the D-Stop once. They obviously have different Tos, and my temper is way too short for what I saw there. I've been warned of it here on SB. But I think we have fine advisers here on SB; all you gotta' do is weed their posts out from the those of the jackals who enjoy kicking someone who admitted a mistake long ago in this thread.

To all the constructive posters, especially NEWrecks, thanks. :thumb: I have discussed Rescue training with my Instructor, but while we agreed then that it did not sound like the appropriate step in my desire to become a better diver, I will discuss it again when he's available following his recent leg surgery. I had no desire to be a rescue diver that day, but it seemed like the thing to do at that moment. The missing diver's crippled wife was waiting in their car, and with that in mind - I made the wrong decision.

I thought when you decided to open this thread, that you might, just might be able to take some of the tough love approach you had coming your way and actually take a lesson away from it.
Nope - at least not by your standards. I opened this thread to stop a hijack of another one and to post the question in the thread title. You took it as you chose to.

Don asked "what would you DO?" He didn't ask, "what do you think of what I DID?" And he sure didn't ask, "what do you think of ME?" He got some good advice about how others would have handled the situation, and after reading them, he deduced that he had not made a good decision. However, some of you keep chipping away at him, over and over, seemingly not understanding that he admitted, early on in the thread, OKAY! I MADE A MISTAKE!

Don showed great restraint in his responses. Some less hardy souls will probably shy away from asking similar questions in the future, for fear of being made to feel like a hopeless shmuck. I, however, would probably just tell you to bite me.

Foo

Foo:
Don showed great restraint in his responses. Some less hardy souls will probably shy away from asking similar questions in the future, for fear of being made to feel like a hopeless shmuck. I, however, would probably just tell you to bite me.

Foo
:lol:
Love it!!

Foo:
Some less hardy souls will probably shy away from asking similar questions in the future, for fear of being made to feel like a hopeless shmuck. I, however, would probably just tell you to bite me.

Foo
There you go guys...You have now been officially Foo-Man-Chewed out

JeffG:
There you go guys...You have now been officially Foo-Man-Chewed out

OMG! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I HATE de-coke-ifying my keyboard!

76 posts thus far ... I hope some folks got something out of this thread. :D

Don, you have obviously been diving for a while. I wonder what the other two divers thought of your skill. You're telling them to stick close to you, but did you stick close to them? Rhetorical quesions. You don't even have to answer me. Just something to think about.

What I would have don'd differently:

1) Communications & Dive plan... you want to know when they're at 1500#'s. Tell them what you want to know. Trio’s are okay if you are all comfortable with each other and have your communications and plan down.

2) All you had was a bubble watcher. I wouldn’t of even bothered with her unless she knew exactly what you needed from her. Once the OW class was there, it sounds like she was useless.

3) Once a buddy is thought lost, as grangrel said --- STOP BREATH ACT THINK. I would have thought what resources I have available if the $h!t hits the fan. You alone did not have enough resources to conduct a rescue. You definitely didn’t have enough air. If you had seen him floating at 90 ft, what would you have done?
--- I deal with missing people all of the time… non-diving… 1st thing searched is the most obvious and least dangerous. We then go out from there, with as many resources available to us as possible.

4) Just a thought. I carry chem-lights with zip ties. If you are diving with new divers and you worry about seeing them, especially in larger groups… attach the chem lights to them and yourself…

my 2 pennys worth… yeah, and that’s about all it’s worth… :D

and I still love you Don… I’d go diving with you, if your promised not to get mad at me and hit me on the head with your pony bottle.

Foo:
Don asked "what would you DO?" He didn't ask, "what do you think of what I DID?" And he sure didn't ask, "what do you think of ME?" He got some good advice about how others would have handled the situation, and after reading them, he deduced that he had not made a good decision. However, some of you keep chipping away at him, over and over, seemingly not understanding that he admitted, early on in the thread, OKAY! I MADE A MISTAKE!

Have you gone back and read Don's previous threads? Have you read his posting histroy? See any running themes? "Made a mistake" in this case don't seem to be much of a guarantee that it won't happen again. How many people do you know who have 1) drained a pony and an AL 80 on the same dive, then cut into a diver in deco's air supply off his octo, 2) headed for 180 fsw on EANx 28, prompting a DM to take his own life in his hands to go get him, then 3) do what is listed above in this thread? I think tough love was well in order here, but it will almost certainly go unheeded.

Foo:

Foo

Sorry if you guys thought anything I said back there was harsh. My goal was trying to extend someone's life by making sure the lessons from this one stick. My goal here was never kicking anyone while they are down. The goal here was to get the point goes deeper than "what would you have done", and goes straight to "what do I need to change about how I think about diving in order to not be an unreasonable risk." However, the most important advice given here will almost certainly fall on deaf ears with the intended audience.

:fork:
DandyDon:
From the Tos...

TOS? :06:

Gag me with a spoon, Donny. Any time anything goes haywire in your internet diving career, you whip out the TOS.

"TOSS" THIS: Your PONY TANK

It's gonna kill'ya Donny.It will crawl right out of the closet some night while your sleeping and strangle you... that'll be it.

Lose the pony, boy. If you were looking to learn from this, show us all. Raise your right hand and repeat...

Pony Boy

------Bruce Springsteen

Pony boy pony boy
Won't you be my pony boy
Giddy-up giddy-up giddy-up whoa
My pony boy

Ride with me ride with me
Won't you take a ride with me
Underneath the starry sky
My pony boy

O'er the hills and through the trees
We'll go ridin' you and me
Giddy-up giddy-up giddy-away
My pony boy

Down into the valley deep
'Neath the eaves we will sleep
Sky of dreams up above

Thanks Kev - as I mentioned in post #1, better communication of the dive plan details in advance of the dive would have been a better approach, and we certainly worked on that when we went back there last month - without the diver who went missing, but with the bubble watcher now a carded diver: Please stay close at all times, communicate 1500# & 1000# levels to other 2, ascend together, etc.

Organizing the search from the surface would have been best - and will be next time, as I'm sure it'll happen again, maybe in a different way. That was certainly my big mistake. I've read a story once where all the members of a household escaped a burning home, but without a plan to meet at a point outside, and the mom went back in and perished needlessly. Another part of the missing plan to never miss again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom