Buddy missing on surface - What would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
I have discussed Rescue training with my Instructor, but while we agreed then that it did not sound like the appropriate step in my desire to become a better diver, I will discuss it again when he's available following his recent leg surgery. I had no desire to be a rescue diver that day, but it seemed like the thing to do at that moment.
Take the Rescue class, Don ... if it's taught properly, it will teach you exactly what to do in a situation like the one you described.

FWIW - As an instructor, I believe the Rescue class has merit for every diver. More so than any other class I have ever taken or taught.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bo Danker:
I would like to thank you for the posts. My OW instructor told me that eventually I would see every form stupidity being practice if I chose to stay in the sport long enough but I have found your posts to help speed that up a bit :)

Seriously though I think it helps to read threads like this especially for newbs like me. It is either informative or helps to re-inforce things learned in classes.
Yep, you don't have to make a lot of the learning mistakes - just read about them here and learn in advance. :thumb:

DandyDon:
Thanks Kev - as I mentioned in post #1, better communication of the dive plan details in advance of the dive would have been a better approach, and we certainly worked on that when we went back there last month - without the diver who went missing, but with the bubble watcher now a carded diver: Please stay close at all times, communicate 1500# & 1000# levels to other 2, ascend together, etc.

A certified diver does not a bubble watcher make. More communication is needed. Training and agreement.

Sometimes when the viz is really sucky- I have shown everybody this in advance... I pull a 3/4" thin nylon yellow strap out of my BC and we act like pre-schoolers walking down the street. "Hold the rope, kids".

If you tell them about it in advance and explain how it works- all is well.

Now, what about that Pony?

Don,
As it was you that brought up the TOS may I respectfully remind you of them:

This is a safety oriented board. While there is a lot to be learned here, we strongly advise against learning how to dive, how to enter an overhead environment or any technical diving on your own. A formal class is the only way to do this safely, and we encourage you to avail yourself of as much training as possible. A competent instructor will be able to see safety concerns that you might miss. Consequently, we forbid our users from promoting such conduct on the board either directly or by implication.

I believe that dives below the recreational limit of 130 feet and dives that involve mandatory decompression are generally regarded as Technical Dives. IMHO your exploits are promoting such behaviour by implication and thus are against the TOS.

Hey,you started it :D

Don, you're really taking it on the chin here. I don't want to add to it but I hope you give some serious thought to a rescue course.

Most of what you'll learn is pretty common sense stuff but, common sense isn't so common especially when you have to think fast. You also get to practice applying what you learn in semi-realistic mock emergencies so when you have to do it for real it's not the first time you've done it at all.

Some key points you'll learn in a rescue class that might have helped here are things like...

Before beginning an in water search, take steps to be reasonable certain the person you're looking for is in the water.

ONLY send adequately trained divers with enough breathing gas and no-deco time (where applicable).

If there are other people around use them. Assign tasks. If you are the most qualified person on hand you may do better to stay on the surface to direct rescue efforts. Some one needs to run the show. Tasks that you might want to assign could include... activating EMS - most of us dive around civilization and response times are often like 7 minutes so in many cases you might not have to do anything else at all. Assign surface spotters and searchers even if there is also an underwater search. Have some one gather equipment that may be needed, Oxygen, ropes for searches, surface markers or whatever.

That's by no means everything but the intent is to put an organized effective search/rescue plan into action that above all else does not add to the problem by creating more victems.

Searches are one of the things you'll lear a little bit about in a rescue class.
It can be hard for a lone diver to conduct an effective search in OW in the first place especially without previous practice and the right equipment (lines, markers ect, depending on the topography and the size of the area to be searched). The diver is likely just swimming around wasting time.

Don, you're really taking it on the chin here.
It happens. Some people simply cannot address the question offered, some people have vendettas, etc. I can always turn it into a patience, tolerance, and forgiveness drill.

Personal insults and being called Donny-Boy ignored, it's also good to seek out additional lessons beyond the What would you have done answers.

Interresting...

What Mike said:

MikeFerrara:
Don, you're really taking it on the chin here. I don't want to add to it but I hope you give some serious thought to a rescue course.

Most of what you'll learn is pretty common sense stuff but, common sense isn't so common especially when you have to think fast. You also get to practice applying what you learn in semi-realistic mock emergencies so when you have to do it for real it's not the first time you've done it at all.

Some key points you'll learn in a rescue class that might have helped here are things like...

Before beginning an in water search, take steps to be reasonable certain the person you're looking for is in the water.

ONLY send adequately trained divers with enough breathing gas and no-deco time (where applicable).

If there are other people around use them. Assign tasks. If you are the most qualified person on hand you may do better to stay on the surface to direct rescue efforts. Some one needs to run the show. Tasks that you might want to assign could include... activating EMS - most of us dive around civilization and response times are often like 7 minutes so in many cases you might not have to do anything else at all. Assign surface spotters and searchers even if there is also an underwater search. Have some one gather equipment that may be needed, Oxygen, ropes for searches, surface markers or whatever.

That's by no means everything but the intent is to put an organized effective search/rescue plan into action that above all else does not add to the problem by creating more victems.

Searches are one of the things you'll lear a little bit about in a rescue class.
It can be hard for a lone diver to conduct an effective search in OW in the first place especially without previous practice and the right equipment (lines, markers ect, depending on the topography and the size of the area to be searched). The diver is likely just swimming around wasting time.

What Don heard (ok, read):

MikeFerrara:
Don, you're really taking it on the chin here.

Any questions?

Originally Posted by DandyDon
"I have discussed Rescue training with my Instructor, but while we agreed then that it did not sound like the appropriate step in my desire to become a better diver, I will discuss it again when he's available following his recent leg surgery. I had no desire to be a rescue diver that day, but it seemed like the thing to do at that moment."

I have to say that this response from Don's instructor *really* surprises me. I can't say that I've ever met an instructor, DM or Rescue-trained diver who's EVER said that Rescue training is *not* the most important or valuable course they've ever taught/taken. In fact, every instructor I've ever taken a course with or worked with as a DM has suggested to every student that it really is the minimal level that every diver should consider stopping his/her dive education...and I don't believe that's from a profit motive, but from a real safety perspective.

Don, Rescue doesn't just teach you how to rescue another diver in an emergency situation....it most importantly teaches you how to PREVENT situations which could potentially lead to emergencies, how to rescue yourself *and* how to rescue another diver.

Propertly taught, Rescue class OW weekend will kick your butt - but it will also prepare you for situations like the ones you've faced and you will find that you won't need to come to the board to ask how others would've handled the situation and take abuse...you'll know that you handled the situation in the best way possible (which, as has already been pointed out quite obviously, was *not* a solo search and rescue attempt with inadequate gas supply prior to ascertaining that the diver was not on land first).

I will echo every diver here who urged you to take Rescue training - it WILL make you a better diver - that is a 100% certainty. If you have concerns about potential liability, being certified in Rescue does not give you any increased liability, as you are still not a professional - you will be legally covered under "good Samaritan" principles.

Yep, I think it's been well established that I was wrong to skip the Rescue class, much less attempt one like I did. Again - I will talk to my Instructor about it when he gets out of hospital. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom