Buddy missing on surface - What would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gangrel441:
So...when is it that you are signed up to start that rescue course?
He has little interest in a rescue class (He doesn't want to take one, at least thats how I read it)...IIRC he has started (or is about to start) his deep air technical training.

Thanks Jeff.....question was rhetorical.

the questions was "What would you do?'

Some people need other hobbies.

Isn't rescue a pre-requisite for tech training?

gangrel441:
Thanks Jeff.....question was rhetorical.
Oops...My mistake. Carry on with the beatings then.

pants!:
Isn't rescue a pre-requisite for tech training?
Not that I have ever seen.

Don,

Believe it or not, I think these very experienced divers really ARE trying to help you! The problem that I see (as a newly certified diver, but a long-time rock climber, paraglider pilot, backcountry skier, and tactical firearms instructor) is that you have survived multiple instances where cascading poor decisions have resulted in a near miss for you. Yet, in relating those tales, you seem to not really recognize the significance of each poor decision in that error chain. Asking "What would you do?" is a very simplistic question - folks have provided detailed analysis of your serial errors, but you just let your feelings get hurt and discard the advise. Whimpering, "Well, I admitted my mistake," is not a valid response if you KEEP making the same mistakes.

The pony bottle / tech diving thing is a prime example. Has your attitude changed since you made the tech diving statement a year ago? It would seem not. You're using a last ditch bailout bottle as if it was a piece of standard operational equipment. Let's put it into context: If you go to pull out of the driveway in your Ford F150 one morning and the brake pedal goes to the floor, would you continue your commute, thinking, "Oh well, I still have the air bags?" or would you thumb the commute, find an alternate way to work, and get the brakes fixed? That is the depth of your misunderstanding. Until you rewire that (and that's what a rescue course is for) you will continue to endanger yourself and those unfortunate enough to be diving in your proximity.

DandyDon:
the questions was "What would you do?'

Some people need other hobbies.

That question was asked and answered hours ago. We have moved on to the "how do I prevent such a situation and learn how to deal with it in the future" phase. Keep up with the conversation.

DandyDon:
Digging a quote from another thread that must be a year old - kinda shows the lack of appropriateness some people bring to message boards designed to help divers.

Actually about 6 months
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=96555&highlight=technical

Don,I dont intend to be mean to you but I think you have an attitude problem. Do you really consider yourself ready for technical diving?

I would rather see you mad at me than dead

JeffG:
Oops...My mistake. Carry on with the beatings then.

I prefer to think of it as a well intentioned flogging. :D

I try to live up to your sig line every day, Jeff. :D

Back
Top Bottom