British nurse lost on dive - Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Condolences to the family and friends. Thanks to many of you especially Don and Dan I decided to get an ACR view PLB, and customdivers case. It fits perfectly into a HOG utility pocket to be worn on the waist belt of a BPW.
I hope you never need it, but it's good insurance for any trip.

PAB like Nautilus, is more useful when there are plenty of boat traffic or on liveaboard that is monitoring its guests’ whereabouts, the moment the guests are not accountable after resurfacing or the moment the AIS receiver showing MOB, activated by the guests who think they are lost at sea.

PLB alert response would be delayed due to the way the signal is being managed, as it first needs to acquire its GPS coordinates, before sending it to SAR satellites (LEOSAR & GEOSAR), then the SAR satellites rebroadcast the GPS coordinates to LUT (local user terminal). Then LUT forward the info, including your PLB serial number, to the appropriate MCC (Mission Control Center, for USA, it’ll be NOAA). MCC would match the PLB serial number with the data that you put in the registration, including your emergency contact number, then forward the info to RCC (Rescue Coordinating Center) . RCC then verify your where about by calling your emergency contact number to make sure it is not a false alarm, at the same time RCC coordinates with the local SAR agency, instructing them to begin the process of how to rescue you. The whole process may take sometime, like hours, much longer than the liveaboard would start searching for you, which is within minutes.
In my view, if the PLB is registered in the central database, all those steps but the last two should take seconds with any decent system. At the most a few minutes. It is most likely fully automated and does not require human intervention other than launching the initial alert. In fact, the longer step will probably be the time it takes to dispatch a rescue team. Acquiring GPS coordinates in open sea is instant.

In my view, if the PLB is registered in the central database, all those steps but the last two should take seconds with any decent system. At the most a few minutes. It is most likely fully automated and does not require human intervention other than launching the initial alert. In fact, the longer step will probably be the time it takes to dispatch a rescue team. Acquiring GPS coordinates in open sea is instant.
Except that 90% of PLB alerts are butt-dials or similar accidents so I think that they are going to try to call your listed contact first. Keep it current and let them know of your plans.

If the local authorities are already searching for the lost person registered to the PLB, yeah that'll expedite the rescue.

Is it possible to carry a half litre water bottle with rehydration salts for emergencies, without them getting crushed and useless after each dive? I suppose they would uncrush on surfacing…?

Is it possible to carry a half litre water bottle with rehydration salts for emergencies, without them getting crushed and useless after each dive? I suppose they would uncrush on surfacing…?
Of course you can carry fresh water. Completely fill the bottle and you'll be fine since it obviously won't compress. No need to carry salts, they are all around you. Don't go above 1 part seawater to 3 parts fresh.

Actually some aluminium bottles like these commonly available for a few dollars might work better. Just need to find a good location on the BP/W to bungee it. Wondering if the lid will need an O-ring to seal it completely to prevent seawater ingress under pressure though.

Attachments

• DFD8C3D0-F196-4A3B-B641-00C50517A71C.jpeg
    DFD8C3D0-F196-4A3B-B641-00C50517A71C.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 54
Any water jug, plastic or whatever, would work as long as it's completely full of water - no air, as water does not compress but air does.
Completely fill the bottle and you'll be fine since it obviously won't compress.
But how much difference would a half-liter make? I'd rather bet on a PLB that's easier to carry ensuring a faster rescue.

Actually some this like this commonly available for a few dollars might work better. Just need to find a good location on the BP/W to bungee it. Wondering if the lid will need an O-ring to seal it completely to prevent seawater ingress under pressure though.
Easy enough to test.

On deco dives we usually carry some packet drinks to consume for long 6m stops, plus a banana or Mars Bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom