British nurse lost on dive - Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. It is correct. That’s why I put it in a waterproof case.

It’s not only to be used in marine environment, but also on land. I carry it when I go hiking & skiing.
Does the same company sell the waterproof case? Which one do you have?

PAB like Nautilus, is more useful when there are plenty of boat traffic or on liveaboard that is monitoring its guests’ whereabouts, the moment the guests are not accountable after resurfacing or the moment the AIS receiver showing MOB, activated by the guests who think they are lost at sea.

PLB alert response would be delayed due to the way the signal is being managed, as it first needs to acquire its GPS coordinates, before sending it to SAR satellites (LEOSAR & GEOSAR), then the SAR satellites rebroadcast the GPS coordinates to LUT (local user terminal). Then LUT forward the info, including your PLB serial number, to the appropriate MCC (Mission Control Center, for USA, it’ll be NOAA). MCC would match the PLB serial number with the data that you put in the registration, including your emergency contact number, then forward the info to RCC (Rescue Coordinating Center) . RCC then verify your where about by calling your emergency contact number to make sure it is not a false alarm, at the same time RCC coordinates with the local SAR agency, instructing them to begin the process of how to rescue you. The whole process may take sometime, like hours, much longer than the liveaboard would start searching for you, which is within minutes.

Reactions: OTF
Thanks for all the info. I need to do some reading on these units.

I really liked the ability to bug captains verbally on VHF with the old Nautilus. Or just a straight up VHF radio. If I get separated from the dive boat or go overboard from a ship at night (my other use case for carrying it) the most direct, effective, quick rescue surely is yelling at my own crew. "HEY ***HOLES TURN AROUND, YOU FORGOT ME!" is much more useful than setting off a DSC alarm. DSC's are ignored and silenced as a matter of course on a lot of boats, especially boats with good antennas in busy areas that pick up multiple false alarms every day.

Am I right in thinking that the non-satellite units just activate a DSC alert? Or do they do something better than that?

I guess range is an issue, not much line of sight with a tiny VHF antenna at water level. So a satellite beacon is better if rescue is any meaningful distance away. But with those satellite things there are so many intermediary steps I would worry that rescue might never come, or would take a very long time to get the message, confirm it, and start searching. Not fun in cold water.

Does the same company sell the waterproof case? Which one do you have?
No. I recently replaced my lost unit with a new ACR 425 View and a UK Custom Diver waterproof canister. I had to email the company, place the order, then pay when they contacted me. It took a few weeks to arrive from the UK, but works great. Just do not forget to lube the o-rings as needed with silicone grease.

Am I right in thinking that the non-satellite units just activate a DSC alert? Or do they do something better than that?
Just DSC for the old Nautilus with marine radio. The new Nautilus (what I call MRG) will send out DSC & AIS signals.

Thanks for all the info. I need to do some reading on these units.

I really liked the ability to bug captains verbally on VHF with the old Nautilus. Or just a straight up VHF radio. If I get separated from the dive boat or go overboard from a ship at night (my other use case for carrying it) the most direct, effective, quick rescue surely is yelling at my own crew. "HEY ***HOLES TURN AROUND, YOU FORGOT ME!" is much more useful than setting off a DSC alarm. DSC's are ignored and silenced as a matter of course on a lot of boats, especially boats with good antennas in busy areas that pick up multiple false alarms every day.

I guess range is an issue, not much line of sight with a tiny VHF antenna at water level. So a satellite beacon is better if rescue is any meaningful distance away. But with those satellite things there are so many intermediary steps I would worry that rescue might never come, or would take a very long time to get the message, confirm it, and start searching. Not fun in cold water.
You understand why I carry both, but one is better than none.

No. I recently replaced my lost unit with a new ACR 425 View and a UK Custom Diver waterproof canister. I had to email the company, place the order, then pay when they contacted me. It took a few weeks to arrive from the UK, but works great. Just do not forget to lube the o-rings as needed with silicone grease.
I see links to the ACR 425 view.

Can you send a link for the waterproof canister you got?

You understand why I carry both, but one is better than none.
Yeah. I'm just bothered that there isn't a combo unit. At the end of the day my choice might be a regular VHF in a canister.

I see links to the ACR 425 view.
They are pricey, but I keep mine in my car console when I am not using while diving, hiking, farming, etc. It seems every week some hiker dies lost. Just test it now and then per instructions and the battery will last 5 - 6 years waiting to be used. I got a cheap holster on ebay to keep the antenna from being knocked loose or the alarm button punched.
Can you send a link for the waterproof canister you got?

Change the o-rings every year or two. Order a spare set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom