BP/Wing as your first BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob:
You thought I was saying that intergrated weight pockets were unique to Halcyon? Come on Patrick, that's a stretch. It's not a fact that I think that or that I said that. That's an assumption on your part. In the pool I teach in a Glide Plus. BTW, I wouldn't be suprised if the Glide weight pockets weren't the inspiration for the Halcyon pockets. There're very similar. I assume you are an employee of Oxycheq? If you are, you should state it here and in your profile. For the record I'm not associated with any scuba manafacturer. :palmtree: Bob

Bob,

You are now using two different posts. The facts were the history of integrated weight pockets. Yes, it was my assumption based on pointing something out that to me seemed quite typical (weight pockets) for the industry and that is why I provided the history.

No, I am not an employee of OxyCheq, I am OxyCheq.

Sometimes I take for granted that most people know who I am. I actually thought the logo kind of tells anyone that at a minimum, I am associated OxyCheq.

Not to mention the big clue might be the signature at the bottom of my posts.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---
http://oxycheq.com

Patrick:
Bob,

You are now using two different posts. The facts were the history of integrated weight pockets. Yes, it was my assumption based on pointing something out that to me seemed quite typical (weight pockets) for the industry and that is why I provided the history.

Sometimes I take for granted that most people know who I am. I actually thought the logo kind of tells anyone that at a minimum, I am associated OxyCheq.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---
http://oxycheq.com[/QUOTE

I wouldn't know you from Adam. It's been nice talking to you.
:palmtree: Bob

A couple of additional thoughts for the OP:

• The padding and plastic in a BC will make it positively buoyant (4 or 5 lbs is not uncommon), which translates to exactly that much more weight on your weight belt or in your integrated weight pockets.
  • The BC will likely have limited options for where you put the weight. This is only important if you care about having good trim (horizontal posture). :eyebrow: The backplate puts a strategic part of your weight where it'll do you the most good, over your lungs.
  • If you happen to drop an integrated weight pocket, good luck finding a replacement at your vacation resort. So much for no weight belt.
  • Most BCs won't shrink or grow with your body shape over time (Zeagle is probably the one exception to this). A BP/W will be far more adjustable, which you can think of as a bad or good thing. Yes, if you have to rig it yourself it'll take an hour and then you'll understand the system (there are plenty of great websites with pictures to help with this). Yes, the first couple times you use it you will likely have to adjust it a bit, but once that's done you just dive with it because it just fits you.
  • The amount of lift in many BCs (and some wings!) make no sense for single tank rigs. Does anyone really need a 40 or 45 lb singles wing?
  • Tropical diving with a BP/W, an Al80 and a tropical wetsuit, you many not need any weight on a weight belt (or in weight pockets).
  • Before you dismiss a backplate as too heavy for travel at 5 lbs, go and actually weigh a BC. The BC will probably weigh as much, it won't pack down at all, and a wet BC will weigh a TON in your luggage if you don't have the time or place to properly hang it up to dry.
  • If you buy a BC and decide to sell it later, you will take a large financial hit. You'd be doing very well to get 40%-50% of your purchase price. There are many reasons for this, including the fact that most new divers tend to buy from the LDS that trained them and are (rightly or wrongly) afraid of buying "used life support" equipment. Also, dealers like Scubatoys, LeisurePro, etc. that sell new gear at a substantial discount also will naturally limit the used price market.
  • While the H gear is very nice its is also expensive vs. comparable gear. For comparison, a DSS single tank rig with an LCD wing starts as low as $399, which is just about the price of a single H Eclipse wing alone. Shop around and spend whatever is comfortable for you.

Good luck on your search.

John

Bob:
Patrick:
Bob,

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---
http://oxycheq.com[/QUOTE

I wouldn't know you from Adam. It's been nice talking to you.
:palmtree: Bob

Bob,

If you are going to DEMA, stop by our boot and I will personally show you the differences between what you are diving now and our wings.

FYI --- I did add some further information to my profile as you requested.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---

my buddy loves his scuba pro knighthawk, its a back inflate and has d-rings weight integration and looks like a nice bc.

I dive a halcyon pioneer with integrated weights on a stainless plate. With the pockets, it does not pack very small. I did put my d-rings on to suit me and the gear that I carry. I like the secure fitting of my straps and crotch strap, its not shifting anywhere.

A bc is going to be one price + lead.
A wing + back plate + weight pockets + lead + d-rings/tri glides + webbing

Patrick:
Bob:
Bob,

If you are going to DEMA, stop by our boot and I will personally show you the differences between what you are diving now and our wings.

FYI --- I did add some further information to my profile as you requested.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---

You know what Patrick, I'll take you up on that! Looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for the invite. :wink: :palmtree: Bob

rockjock3:
Does that include you?

Yea, the one time you have to adjust them. There are also many weighting option. Unless you carry more than 15-20lbs of weight most of them can be configured to not require any weight belt (steel plate vs aluminum plate, v-weight, plate weights, pouches, etc).

No more than your quality BCs have. You can pay as little as $300-400 for a good BP/W. Not many decent BC much cheaper than that.

You are only the second person I have ever run across that didn't like a bp/w once they tried it.

Now this is good advice. Yes, try them all WITH somebody that knows them. This way they can help with things like adjustments and proper use.

Thanks for making my point for me. I state an opinion and at least 3 make comments at me.

Does 2 GUE instructors count as "WITH somebody that knows them" ??

OP, good luck with your choice.

Bob:
Patrick:
You know what Patrick, I'll take you up on that! Looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for the invite. :wink: :palmtree: Bob

Bob,

I will look forward to seeing you there. I am hoping to annouce quite a few new products at the show.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
---

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom