BP/Wing as your first BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

first off, my first BC was a BP/W and i have never regretted it and still dive it as often as i can

second, as far as some dive shops and or operations making you use certain gear, that is true, but generally if that is the case they should let you use a set of their rental gear to meet their requirements

... I'm leaning towards a Dive rite transpac w/ rec wing. - admittedly its one of the more pre-configured bp/w set-ups, but at least it retains modularity, which I guess is something that bp/w setups are all about!
The TransPlate is already half of a backplate and wing. If you are inclined that direction, I'd recommend the TransPlate over the TransPac.

John

To the OP:
I had a chance to try out a Halcyon BP/W setup this Saturday at the demo day at Millbrook and it was really great. I am a brand new diver (only 11 dives logged) and I found the BP/W very easy to use. VA Scuba in manassas rents them if you would like to try one out. I rented one to use on Sunday and they let me use steel tanks to see the difference. I had a little trouble dumping air during ascent, but I have since figured out why that was. I don't think you'll have any trouble starting with a BP/W, but you should try one out just in case.

VA Scuba is a really good shop if you think you might be into more tech diving also. They are the only shop that I know of in this area that rent BP/Ws.

I learned to dive in a Halcyon bp/w setup. Had to use jackets once or twice and hated it. Bought my own, never looked back.
I'll never use a jacket again.

cool. Thanks guys,

a friend of mine is trying to push me towards a Seaquest QD pro, I'm leaning towards a Dive rite transpac w/ rec wing. - admittedly its one of the more pre-configured bp/w set-ups, but at least it retains modularity, which I guess is something that bp/w setups are all about!

so far - pros of bp/w are durability, fit, underwater comfort, modularity, self-repair bladders,
cons - cost, its different, got to be careful inflating on surface,

pros of jacket - familiar, easy to use, pockets!
cons - not always easy to dump, not had a bcd that fits right yet, not always comfortable, on a boat, i'm like the michelin man, that seaquest isn't light!

what have I missed ?

That's a good breakdown and analysis. This is what I purchased 3 years ago "Seaquest QC pro". IMO it's a very good jacket style BC, got some nice bells and whistles. It's my third Jacket style BC in my 25 years of diving and the best of the lot. However I'm moving into a more technical style of diving and my new BC is starting to show it's limitations.

A friend of mine has one of these "Dive rite transpac w/ rec wing" and I borrowed it and dove it about 3 weeks ago. Loved it ad I really wished I'd bought it instead of the Seaquest. I've now come to the realization that I bought the wrong BC and now am researching either getting a BP/W or the transpac.

AL

I went to a BP/W after 5 dives. One of the best gear decisions I've ever made. I'm personally partial to DSS. I dive the SS bp, hogarthian harness, LCD 30 lb wing. After 80 or so dives on it now I still LOVE IT!

Cost? I hear that alot. I don't agree. Top end BCs can run you $500-$600. My rig was quite a bit cheaper than that and I'd choose it over a BC any day of the week!

The TransPlate is already half of a backplate and wing. If you are inclined that direction, I'd recommend the TransPlate over the TransPac.

John

Why???

What about something like the Seaquest Balance. I know it's still classified as a BCD but it is a rear inflate style system.

The Transplate is actually a BP/W, just rigged with a specific type of harness. Its more flexible than the Transpac which will always be a hybrid version of a BCD. The Transplate can become a hogarthian BP/W by swapping out the harness for continuous 2" webbing and some hardware (keepers, d-rings and a metal harness buckle). The metal plate is actually very comfortable underwater and puts a certain amount of weight (2 lbs for aluminum, 5-6 lbs for steel) where you need it most -- directly over your buoyant lungs. It looks like is going to be uncomfortable as all get out, but that's not the case IRL.

FWIW, my first BP/W-type dives were in a Transplate. I've been using a BP/W since then. If you have access to a store with both, see if you can't demo both types and decide for yourself.

John

The Transplate is actually a BP/W, just rigged with a specific type of harness. Its more flexible than the Transpac which will always be a hybrid version of a BCD. ...

If you have access to a store with both, see if you can't demo both types and decide for yourself.

John

As a person who both owns and dives both a TransPac and a BP/W I can't agree with all of this. The TransPac is a very versatile rig. As a matter of fact for the traveling, single cylinder diver it is almost ideal with its' light weight and flexibility.

While, especially in this forum, BP/W rigs are vigourously advocated; in fact they are not always the best solution for a specific diver. In fact I suspect that based on sales the Jacket style BC is probably the overwhelmingly preferred choice among divers.

So, as I posted earlier and as said in the second part of this post the best thing to do if you have the opportunity is to test dive several rigs. Then, and only then, pick the one that suits you best. That may be a jacket, a TransPac or its' cousins, or a BP/W with one of the harness styles. After all it is your money and only yourself you need to satisfy; not any of us folks in cyber land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom