BP/Wing as your first BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johm77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, I'm a fairly new diver. Learned in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and had a few more dives in Southern Cali. I've always rented/borrowed jacket style BCDs.

I've read on here, so far, that it seems most experienced divers prefer the bp/wing config. Are there any brand new divers that start with a bp/wing config? or is that strictly for experienced tech divers? So far, all the equipment I bought, I had to buy another, b/c i made the wrong choice in the beginning... (I've only bought person gear.. but it still is a hefty sum). Mask, bought XSScuba Fusion, then bought Hyrdooptix (a world of difference). Bought XS Scuba snorkel, lost it on 2nd dive, then got oceanic superdry. Bought Tusa Imprex fins, then bought Scubapro Twin Jets. Bought some titanium small knife, left it in a rental BCD, and then bought another one later. I kept my gloves and booties, but I'm about to replace them also.

So, I want to make the right decision on a BCD. I live in fairfax, va... and don't plan on diving much around here. I vacation frequently and would do so in tropical areas.

Should I start with a BP/wing? I've seen many posts concerning the bp/wing config, but is it okay to start with one? I would rather buy online, b/c the 2 shops i visited in my area are either too heavy on looking to sell, or not concerned. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

-Johm

They are fine to start with, and you won't outgrow it. They are simplicity itself as long as you don't go off the deep end and get a bunch of crap on it you don't need.

The various basic training agencies mandate a B/C of some kind. A rented jacket is probably the best idea.

After certification and 10 or 20 dives, a diver is probably ready to try a backplate and wing configuration.

I second a BP/W! :)

I had to use a jacket-style BC in my OW course(s) and hated it. During my first dive trip after certification, I borrowed a friends's BP/W and liked it enough to purchase my own (although I had issues venting the horseshoe-style wing). Now I'm an extremely happy and satisified owner of a DSS SS BP and an OxyCheq Mach V (donut-style :wink:) wing!

I've logged 11 dives now, and am very comfortable in the water. i'm actually going to purchase a 3mm full wetsuit first, then a reg/octo/guage combo, then wrist computer, then a bcd... but I'm going to purchase them all before I go to hawaii and okinawa for 6 weeks for business (starting sept 22, i can't wait)

honestly, the bp/wing combo seems like the consensus pick on this board, but is a little confusing. shoudl i buy a jacket or back inflate bc for now and worry about a bp/wing later?

ps. i'm not made out of money.

I didn't start with a bp/w but several of my students bought one after their open water check out dives. If at all possible I let students use one on their 4th or 5th dive. I've also let them use it in the pool. So far, each person who tried it liked it and preferred it.

Cheers

Chris

One of my favorite dive buddies did his 5th post certification dive in a DSS BP/W system he had bought, and he's never looked back. I had about 40 dives before I switched, and I wished I'd had the gear I have now when I started.

I bought a BP/w right after my last dive in OW at the recommendation of the shop owner that hosted the course. The immediate improvement to trim and buoyancy was amazing.

I doubt if I will ever dive anything else.

johm77:
I've logged 11 dives now, and am very comfortable in the water. i'm actually going to purchase a 3mm full wetsuit first, then a reg/octo/guage combo, then wrist computer, then a bcd... but I'm going to purchase them all before I go to hawaii and okinawa for 6 weeks for business (starting sept 22, i can't wait)

honestly, the bp/wing combo seems like the consensus pick on this board, but is a little confusing. shoudl i buy a jacket or back inflate bc for now and worry about a bp/wing later?

ps. i'm not made out of money.
Haven't given this speech in awhile, so what the heck...

Whatever you do, just understand why you're buying what you're buying. Don't figure something is right for you because it seems like everyone on Scubaboard has one. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. There are pros and cons to everything, and many of the things often listed as advantages to a BP/W are also obtainable with other BC types. The BP/W contingent on here is very vocal and is a much higher percentage of folks than you'll find in most diving environments. (You can do hundreds of dives in tropical places and never see a BP/W - I think I've seen 2, ever.) But lots of people on here including some very experienced divers don't use them and are just as happy with their choice. There are also folks that have several different types of BCs and use the one they prefer for the type of dive they're doing.

One thing about "traditional" BCs - fit is one of the most important things in a BC and it's difficult to buy a jacket or back inflate that fits right without at least trying it on. And there's a big difference between a crappy rental jacket that doesn't fit and a BC you have carefully selected for yourself. I think a fair number of people that didn't like traditional BCs, didn't like them because they couldn't or didn't get one that fit properly.

Back
Top Bottom