BP/Wing as your first BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To answer your question directly: There are a fair number of people whose first buoyancy device was a backplate and wing. They did all their certification work with that setup. So it can be done successfully. Personally, at that level I don't think it matters much what style BC a student uses as long as they learn the principles involved.

But despite what you read in cyber diving there is no "best" buoyancy device for all people and for all seasons. It boils down to your personal preference for the diving you do and the people you dive with. I know lots of very skilled divers who use jackets, others that use back inflation and others who use BP/W.

So, don't look at a BP/W as some kind of icon. Instead, learn to dive with whatever rig your instructor and shop recommends. Then, when you know enough to evaluate and make decisions, buy whatever best suits you and the diving you are doing. When you know enough to make a decision you won't need to ask advice; you'll just buy.

ArcticDiver:
Instead, learn to dive with whatever rig your instructor and shop recommends.

WRONG. Learn to dive with a BP/W and whatever instructor/shop is comfortable with that. If you don't like it, you can switch to a "regular" BC but at least you will have tried the BP/W without having wasted any money.

johm77:
Ok, I'm a fairly new diver. Learned in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and had a few more dives in Southern Cali. I've always rented/borrowed jacket style BCDs.

I've read on here, so far, that it seems most experienced divers prefer the bp/wing config. Are there any brand new divers that start with a bp/wing config? or is that strictly for experienced tech divers? So far, all the equipment I bought, I had to buy another, b/c i made the wrong choice in the beginning... (I've only bought person gear.. but it still is a hefty sum). Mask, bought XSScuba Fusion, then bought Hyrdooptix (a world of difference). Bought XS Scuba snorkel, lost it on 2nd dive, then got oceanic superdry. Bought Tusa Imprex fins, then bought Scubapro Twin Jets. Bought some titanium small knife, left it in a rental BCD, and then bought another one later. I kept my gloves and booties, but I'm about to replace them also.

So, I want to make the right decision on a BCD. I live in fairfax, va... and don't plan on diving much around here. I vacation frequently and would do so in tropical areas.

Should I start with a BP/wing? I've seen many posts concerning the bp/wing config, but is it okay to start with one? I would rather buy online, b/c the 2 shops i visited in my area are either too heavy on looking to sell, or not concerned. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

-Johm
If you're ready to buy, you'll never regret a plate and wing set up. They'll grow with you as you progress in diving. There are many excellent BP/W setups out there. I dive the Halcyon Eclipse and love it! Check out www.halcyon.net I've made two trips to the Carribean with it and it's perfect for travel. I don't think you'll go wrong by purchasing a BP/W setup, I think you'll be very happy you did. :palmtree: Bob

johm77:
style BCDs.

I've read on here, so far, that it seems most experienced divers prefer the bp/wing config.
-Johm

Welcome to the board and to diving. Don't confuse the overly vocal opinions of a few with fact. There are plenty of experienced divers who choose not to use a BP/wing, including myself. Nothing wrong with a BP and if I were doing tech diving, it would be the BC I would choose but I was not impress with them for the diving I do. They are a pain to adjust, require a weight belt and did not provide any advantages that outweighted the disadvantages for me. And from some of the comments I have seen here lately, they have gotten expensive. You may find you like it or you may not. The best advise is still to rent/borrow several BCs of different types and find what suits you best.
For what little it's worth I do prefer back inflate BCs (a BP/wing is a type of back inflate) over jackets but I have and can dive in them all.

johm77,
Opinions are like elbows, everyone has a couple, including me. I dive all three types of inflation devices, jacket, back inflate and BP/W. I encourage you to dive a BP/W and if you do, you will buy one. BTW the Halycon Eclipse has intergrated weight pockets, no weight belt needed... :palmtree: Bob

johm77:
Ok, I'm a fairly new diver. Learned in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and had a few more dives in Southern Cali. I've always rented/borrowed jacket style BCDs.

I've read on here, so far, that it seems most experienced divers prefer the bp/wing config. Are there any brand new divers that start with a bp/wing config? or is that strictly for experienced tech divers? So far, all the equipment I bought, I had to buy another, b/c i made the wrong choice in the beginning... (I've only bought person gear.. but it still is a hefty sum). Mask, bought XSScuba Fusion, then bought Hyrdooptix (a world of difference). Bought XS Scuba snorkel, lost it on 2nd dive, then got oceanic superdry. Bought Tusa Imprex fins, then bought Scubapro Twin Jets. Bought some titanium small knife, left it in a rental BCD, and then bought another one later. I kept my gloves and booties, but I'm about to replace them also.

So, I want to make the right decision on a BCD. I live in fairfax, va... and don't plan on diving much around here. I vacation frequently and would do so in tropical areas.

Should I start with a BP/wing? I've seen many posts concerning the bp/wing config, but is it okay to start with one? I would rather buy online, b/c the 2 shops i visited in my area are either too heavy on looking to sell, or not concerned. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

-Johm
I'm a new Diver and my rig of choice is an OMS comfort harness. it isn't a "pain to adjust" and its flexibility for diving bare (figuratively speaking) or with my 7m is fantastic. I trained on a Beachat, A Zeagle Escape and a Zeagle Tech but chose the BP/W for its bare bones practicality. my one complaint is that I don't see why they cost so much.

herman:
Welcome to the board and to diving. Don't confuse the overly vocal opinions of a few with fact. There are plenty of experienced divers who choose not to use a BP/wing, including myself. Nothing wrong with a BP and if I were doing tech diving, it would be the BC I would choose but I was not impress with them for the diving I do. They are a pain to adjust, require a weight belt and did not provide any advantages that outweighted the disadvantages for me. And from some of the comments I have seen here lately, they have gotten expensive. You may find you like it or you may not. The best advise is still to rent/borrow several BCs of different types and find what suits you best.
For what little it's worth I do prefer back inflate BCs (a BP/wing is a type of back inflate) over jackets but I have and can dive in them all.

i agree with herman. best bet is to try all configurations before buying. in my case i trained on a bcd and did my first 4 dives with it. didn't know what a bp/wing (or a back inflated bc for that matter) was until an instructor friend asked me to try it. i frequently dive with a guy who has 10,000+ dives under his belt and dives a bcd. it works for him. btw, i'm not tech either. good luck. :wink:

i use a philippine made sspb and a dive rite venture wing.

A local instructor is set-up with a fleet of BP&W set-ups. He went with the adjustable harnesses so they would be able to configure from teens to burly adults and though he is just starting out it seems to be working for him. From a business capital standpoint it seems to make a lot of sense.

We ran into him while he was working with a family and they all seemed to handle it just fine. I don't think they appreciated what they were diving but as a new diver what do you need besides an inflater, a dump valve or 2 and a harness you can get in and out of.

The only real downside I can see for a new diver is the reduced head lift before you get front heavy. As long as the divers are comfortable on the water and are configured for decent balance then go for it.

In terms of cost a BP/W can get out of hand if you outfit them with pockets, ditchable weights, pads and all of the accouterments to make it into a full blown back inflate jacket.

Pete

DarthWader:
my one complaint is that I don't see why they cost so much.

They don't have to, but you managed to buy one of the most expensive available. The DSS is $455, and the Golem, when on sale is $380. I've used both and would recommend either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom