BP/W Tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How would you suggest attaching an STA to the plate? Bolts are the only thing I can think of. I know alot of people use the built in one, but some prefer the adapter. I have not seen any tank rock with it, using bolts.

-V

for those who dive with a can light: get a beltclip to secure it, mine ate 2 weightkeepers before I gave in...

Vayu:
How would you suggest attaching an STA to the plate? Bolts are the only thing I can think of. I know alot of people use the built in one, but some prefer the adapter. I have not seen any tank rock with it, using bolts.

-V

Wingnuts...that's what mine(DiveRite SS) has for singles...

Vayu:

-V

I'm not sure I understand your question. With a DSS Plate and wing there is no need for a bolt on STA, none. Previous "STA-Less" designs have been problematic for some, but our solution is very solid. I've not had anyone report that with a DSS plate and wing their tank was in any way less than secure.

Having said that, it is possible to use a STA with either our Plate and or our Single wings.
A conventional STA is bolted on, right through the wing amd plate, just like one would mount doubles.

Tobin

LittleFish:
mmadiver, Since you are not strict DIR and love your DSS rig I was wondering if you use the hog or profit harness? I am just about ready to buy a DSS rig and am not sure which way to go. Thanks

I use the Hog harness. I considered the Pro-fit but and have no problems with the idea of the Pro-fit. I went with the hog because Ive heard nothing but good things about hog setups. And it can be easily modified/replaced with basic weight belt webbing. I'm not DIR but instead I have my own personally designed diving philosophy (KISS. Keep it simple stupid) HOG is definatly KISS.

mmadiver:
I use the Hog harness. I considered the Pro-fit but and have no problems with the idea of the Pro-fit. I went with the hog because Ive heard nothing but good things about hog setups. And it can be easily modified/replaced with basic weight belt webbing. I'm not DIR but instead I have my own personally designed diving philosophy (KISS. Keep it simple stupid) HOG is definatly KISS.
I'll definitely second this motion from mmadiver, LittleFish!
I've put about 100 dives on the DSS in 5 months, (my first BP/W.) I alternate between diving in a 7mm wetsuit chasing lobsters (25%), and basking in a bulky crushed neoprene drysuit for real dives (75%). Originally I hesitated to go with the pure and sacred 14-feet-of-black-webbing... but was well-advised to give it a try.

I love it. LOVE IT. I don't readjust it between the two suits, and the unit doesn't move on me at all. It's easy enough to don and doff and I can do both alone. I love the solid tight fit, and no buckles to fail or catch (or violate the truly sacred Rule 6... yeah, I reek of Koolaid :wink: .)

And it's inexpensive. IMNSHO: Try it. You can always change to the Pro-Fit if it doesn't work for you. Rethreading is not a big deal.

Enjoy the new gear!
Claudette

catherine96821:
Greg, the bolts seem to loosen and fall off and I ordered a bag of them. the tech divers I know love zip ties for everything. yea, i guess i should get the inflator fixed. do you think there is anythingreally dangerous about just blowing in it? I don't have to do it but maybe once. Since I am not in drysuit, not wearing alot of weight, I cannot think of a downside. Am i missing something? If I need it on the surface i just plug it up and inflate it.

Halcyon would probably replace the inflator. I know they improved over the old one just a few years ago.

I don't see a problem with it though. Do you still have the LP hose for the inflator attached? Does you SMB inflate with that hose? If you aren't using it at all you could reduce the # of hoses on your 1st stage by one more I guess. The only benefit to using the tank air to inflate it is ease and not having to swap between your reg and the inflator.

thingamibobs

Is that a real word?
*Floater*:
Is that a real word?

I think the correct spelling is"thingamAbobs.

i put trim weight pockets on my lower cam strap. i second the inner tube thought. if you use zip ties, cut them with nail cutters to make a curved cut so they don't slice *you*. if you use cave line, remember to burn the ends. (these are to put bolt snaps on your stuff.) i like a diverite pocket on the left if i have my light on and on the right if i don't, since i don't have pockets on my suit. i need to put my upper d-rings higher so my backup lights aren't all in my armpits. umm...i like the crotch strap. i have pink webbing. i guess that's all i have to say, scraping the bottom of the barrel here...

ZzzKing:
thingamibobs

Is that a real word?

I think the correct spelling is"thingamAbobs.

No no. It's actually THINGYMABOB. Or THINGYMAJIG. I cannot believe that I looked that up, but I did. I daresay that "dohickey" would do just as well.

Back
Top Bottom