BP/W Tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StSomewhere:
I have a pair of the DSS 5 lb weight plates for my DSS backplate, it almost perfectly offsets the buoyancy differences between a steel HP100 and an AL80. I take the plates off for coldwater HP100 dives and put the plates back on for coldwater AL80 dives.

BTW, do to demand we are again manufacturing both the 8lbs and 5 lbs weight plates for our medium plate.

Regards,

Tobin

Yeah I also like the idea of putting some weights directly on the belt next to the plate. I dive alot of weight (Maine drysuit) and the SS plate with a few pounds on the harness helps tons.

I've been in the pool alot with my DSS rig and have found that I'm a little bit leg heavy without my drysuit on. I can maintain a horizontal position with minimal effort but if I completely stop moving I turn upright. Any suggestions on were to place weight to trim this out?

mmadiver:
I've been in the pool alot with my DSS rig and have found that I'm a little bit leg heavy without my drysuit on. I can maintain a horizontal position with minimal effort but if I completely stop moving I turn upright. Any suggestions on were to place weight to trim this out?

You could either put the XS trim pouches that folks mentioned on your upper cam strap or lower on your weight belt (more in front of you like a keel). Unless you are pretty large, the moment arm would be pretty short though. The trim pouches would work much better better.

Bryan.

cool_hardware52:
BTW, do to demand we are again manufacturing both the 8lbs and 5 lbs weight plates for our medium plate.
Regards,

Tobin

Tobin,

Do the bolt on weight plates only fit the medium sized plates or would they work on any of your plates?

Mitten Diver:
Tobin,

Do the bolt on weight plates only fit the medium sized plates or would they work on any of your plates?

We make 5.3 lbs and 8.1 lbs weight plates that fit the Medium Stainless Plates.

We make 8.1 lbs weight plates that fit the large Stainless Plates.

We do not make weight plates for the small BackPlates, or for the Kydex Backplates.

Our weight plates fit only DSS plates.

Tobin

I took a 1 3/8 innertube, cut in in half and poured half of a 3lb shot weight into each piece. I now, after securing the ends, have attached that to either side of my BP via wire ties. Viola, no more weight belt to carry the three lbs.

rockjock3:
I took a 1 3/8 innertube, cut in in half and poured half of a 3lb shot weight into each piece. I now, after securing the ends, have attached that to either side of my BP via wire ties. Viola, no more weight belt to carry the three lbs.

Niceeee...exactly the sort of thing Im looking for.

MRF:
I read that tip somewhere before. I went to the store and bought the largest diameter bike innertube I could find. Cut it into 2" lengths and threaded my harness through it. It was just too small a diameter to be useful. What size tube are you getting or how are you using the 1.75 - 2.25 tubes?

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=127278
This thread goes deep into the discussion of the proper use of bike inner tubes. It even has pictures.

I've done the bullet weights on the backside of the plate at the belt and it worked fine. I've also used several different colors of webbing on my and other peoples' plates. I use 2 inch stage bottle neck rings with attached snaps and used them as the connector point between the top shoulder straps and the bottom weight belt strap, leaving me with two large snaps for attaching stuff. My wetsuit plate is done all in brass hardware and my drysuit plate is all stainless. Course, I do all this just to watch the color drain from the faces of the DIR people I run into. :D

mmadiver:
Done alot of diving recently with my DSS singles rig and love it. I will never go back to a jacket. Ive got my rig well configured for my style: very minimalist/streamlined but not DIR. I'm a fiddler and I like to try things out with my gear. I'm wondering if anyone has any "tricks of the trade" for a BP/W setup or any do-it-yourself changes you've made to your rig that I could play around with?

mmadiver, Since you are not strict DIR and love your DSS rig I was wondering if you use the hog or profit harness? I am just about ready to buy a DSS rig and am not sure which way to go. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom