Boycott Starbucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

how is sitting in the parking lot going to change anything in this case ?

OK, maybe she might have been able to make the interview if she had been, but maybe not
... again, would you have not taken that call??

George Bush Jr and I don't agree on many things, but I understand he had a sign on his desk in the Oval office facing anyone who came in to see him with just three words on it.

"Late is rude."

Gotta go with him on that one.

I would have taken the call......I also would have ended the call with enough time to get to the interview in time. There is no excuse for late.....none. They made a choice to present her as they did and now they regret their choice. Hopefully next time they will think about it ahead of time.

I suppose, next time I am late for an interview I can claim my wife called from Afganistan - or that I helped a little old man who fell in the street, helped deliver a baby in the cab on the way there, apprehended public enemy number one, talked a distressed teen out of jumping off a building or any one of a hundred other notable, personally important, or socially valuable deeds. But the outcome for the potential employer will still be that I was late for the interview.

It may not be fair, and it may imply that the employer - the entity that pays employees to show up and make money for the company - is more concerned about the business than your personal life, but that is the way it is.

From the perspective of a caring supervisor, the reality is also that there are proabably 50 equally qualified applicants and 49 of them will be dissappointed when they don't get the job. When you can screen one out due to reasons under that person's control or for easily measureable and generally agreed upon criteria (the interview is at 8:00am, be there at 7:55am not 8:05am) it is a no brainer and one of the easier decisions a manger will make. In other words, how fair is it to consider you as a serious applicant when the other 49 showed up on time. I could be nice and waste your time interviewing you, but if I have no intent to hire you, it's more honest to just be up front with you and tell you why. It won't feel good, but it won;t fosterfalse hope and learning may occur.

It is true that the timing of the call sucked and if my spuse called in that situaiont I'd probably take it too. It's a matter of priorities and choice is involved but a grown up realizes there are potential consequneces even when you make the *right* choice.

Once an employee is on board, it can and should be different. I'd certainly allow flexibility for a proven and capable employee to step out for an insta break if a spouse called from Afganistan even if it were the peak of the rush, but it would be asking a lot for me to automatically honor that *claim* when I don't even know them and our first meeting (an interview no less) is 5 minutes late.

I allowed an interpreter in my division to leave 30 minutes early each day to make daycare arrangements work out. She was very good at her job, very committed and I trusted her to make up the time as the needs of the job required and I was never disappointed. But had she shown up 5 minutes late for an interview for a job where being on time is critical, no way would I have ever hired her ass. I would have missed out on hiring an excellent employee, but it would have still been the right decision to make at the time.

So your spouse missed a possible job at Starbucks because she took a call that mattered. Get on with life and get over it. It won't matter a year from now and unless it is one of those things that does matter a year down the road, then don't sweat it, as it is just little stuff.

I bought a Starbucks mug to get the $.50 refills. It paid for itself in about a week, but it is annoying as even though I hand them a starbucks mug and they fill it, a number of the employees will miss the fact it is a "refill" and charge the full price, so you have to remind them it is a refill each and every time. It does not speak well for service or for the intelligence of the average employee there.

how is sitting in the parking lot going to change anything in this case ?

OK, maybe she might have been able to make the interview if she had been, but maybe not

Like has already been mentioned, she could have least ended the call with enough time to walk into the building if she had been there already. Wonder how much time it took to pull off the road and then get back on the road in the flow of traffic.

I would have taken the call in that circumstance but still made sure I arrived at the interview with time to spare.

I guess in the end it's all about priorities at that moment.

While I appreciate the original posters service to our country, has anyone notice that he hasn't been back to this thread since July 27th, yet folks are still arguing over it? :popcorn:

While I appreciate the original posters service to our country, has anyone notice that he hasn't been back to this thread since July 27th, yet folks are still arguing over it? :popcorn:

That is the sign of a good thread......it is the gift that keeps on giving.

A quick comment about boycotts.

What is the purpose of a boycott? Typically, to punish a company for what you consider bad behavior. While it may make you feel good, unless the company knows about the bad behavior it is not going to do squat. If you want change, contact them. Without contacting them you might as well be pissing in the wind.

While I will not go into the full details. Yesterday, I wrote a company explaining that while I was in the market for a new pairs shoes that I was not going to buying from them even though in the past I had and was pleased with their products because of one the people they were sponsoring did a disservice to the community and had take zero responsibility for it. As such, I was taking my business elsewhere until I saw either that person canned from their sponsored line up or that person took some responsibility for their actions and did something positive for the community. (No this was not major shoe mfg).

That said, with some companies even writing a letter will not do any good. Kind of like writing congress.

Back
Top Bottom