Boycott Starbucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a Starbucks mug to get the $.50 refills. It paid for itself in about a week, but it is annoying as even though I hand them a starbucks mug and they fill it, a number of the employees will miss the fact it is a "refill" and charge the full price, so you have to remind them it is a refill each and every time. It does not speak well for service or for the intelligence of the average employee there.

Is that how it works? I thought refills were only good for actual "day-of" refills, so you must first buy one at full price (minus $.10 for the cup because of your mug)?

I cant stand Starbucks...
I walk in and say "can I please have a large coffee?" They ask me questions...I don't like to answer questions when I am jonesin' for java.
Size?...uhmmm...LARGE?
Kind? They spit out a bunch of BS kinds...the black kind I can put a bit of milk in...

As I answer each one I get more pissed off. Why does it have to be so complicated??

And when I get it can it taste like coffee, not bilge water? And since when did bilge water cost $5?

U\O

I can't say I buy a lot of Starbucks, but that's never happened to me. I've always gotten pretty good service at SBs.

It's expensive coffee, but it's good and I've gotten good service.

I can't say I buy a lot of Starbucks, but that's never happened to me. I've always gotten pretty good service at SBs.

When you order coffee anywhere, you're going to get some questions.

Size?
Regular/Decaf?
Room for cream?

Even if you're ordering from a coffee vending machine, you'll have to hit the corresponding buttons.

*SNIP*.I am sure that if you were going out to kill people at 13:00 and you didnt show until 13:10 the person in charge of you wouldn’t take "I was on the phone with my wife" as an excuse for being late. *SNIP*

But the people about to be killed would OK with the tardy....

When you order coffee anywhere, you're going to get some questions.

Size?
Regular/Decaf?
Room for cream?

Even if you're ordering from a coffee vending machine, you'll have to hit the corresponding buttons.

I'm a caffeine addict and I don't have that experience.. of getting pissed because the employee wants to get the order right.

I tell them I want a large black coffee, then they tell me the price. Pretty efin simple. If one who happens to have his knuckles dragging while he mumbles something about coffee, the SB employee just might have to ask a couple of questions to make sure the nit-wit gets the coffee he wants.
:D

I'm a caffeine addict and I don't have that experience.. of getting pissed because the employee wants to get the order right.

Exactly. My position wasn't clear in my original post, but I'm in agreement that such questions are totally reasonable and intended to advance good customer service.

I bought a Starbucks mug to get the $.50 refills. It paid for itself in about a week, but it is annoying as even though I hand them a starbucks mug and they fill it, a number of the employees will miss the fact it is a "refill" and charge the full price, so you have to remind them it is a refill each and every time. It does not speak well for service or for the intelligence of the average employee there.

I'd not heard of that "program" before. I think you're just "lucking up" on a decent price cup of coffee in your cup.

Maybe it's a local program you lucked up on. :thumb:

Is that how it works? I thought refills were only good for actual "day-of" refills, so you must first buy one at full price (minus $.10 for the cup because of your mug)?

I don't frequent StarBucks enough to have knowledge of this... but this is what I found on their website.

from https://www.starbucks.com/card/rewards

Green Level - 5 Stars

Once you’ve earned 5 Stars, you advance to the Green level. All current Starbucks Card Reward members will automatically be enrolled at this level. You get all Welcome level rewards plus:

Free Refills on Brewed Coffee and Tea

When you're at Starbucks you feel at home. Your registered Starbucks Card gets you brewed or iced coffee and tea refills at no charge.

You must use your registered Starbucks Card to purchase a hot or iced brewed coffee or tea and then present that same card for the refill during the same visit. Offer valid at participating U.S. stores and is subject to change.​

Card FAQs | Starbucks Coffee Company

My Starbucks Rewards FAQs (United States and Calgary metro area test)

I know you are updating your loyalty program. How will My Starbucks Rewards work?

It’s as easy as registering a loaded Starbucks Card. This will automatically enter you into the Welcome level of the program, which means you’ll receive a free birthday beverage.

Once you have visited and used your card five times (which earns you 5 Stars), you will move into our Green level, where you will receive the following benefits:

* All Welcome level benefits
* Free flavored syrups and milk options such as soy
* Free refills on brewed coffee and tea
* Free tall (12 fl oz) beverage with one pound of whole bean coffee purchase
* Special exclusive offers and coupons

Do I have to present my Starbucks Card to get a free brewed coffee or tea refill?

Yes. You will have to present your registered Starbucks Card to the barista for your free refill. Free refills must occur within the same store visit. Once you leave the store, your visit has ended and any subsequent coffee or tea refill thereafter would be considered a new purchase. Coffee and tea refills are intended for people who are spending time in our stores.​

Can I get unlimited brewed coffee or tea refills? Can I use any size cup for free brewed refills?
  • Yes and yes. You can get unlimited brewed coffee or tea refills during your visit with any size cup, including hot or iced coffee/tea

One more comment...I went back and read the OP. This actually has NOTHING to do with the military. The OP even states that Starbucks didnt give her a chance to explain why she was late, so Starbucks doesnt even know this is a military spouse. As it is stated in the OP this is ONLY about being late.

That's right, the manager based his decision on her timeliness, nothing more. BTW, Starbucks has thousands of managers, most must be pretty good or the enterprise would not survive. The suggest a boycott on an entire franchise based on the actions of a single managers decision seems a little bit of an over-reaction. If it was really that important to me, (it would not be) I'd pay the manager a visit and let him know how I feel.

My wife was refused an interview at Starbucks today for being 5 minutes late. The reason she was late was because she stopped on her way to the interview to take a call from me. I'm in Afghanistan. When she arrived to Starbucks the manager absolutely refused to see her and didn't give her the opportunity to explain the situation. Starbucks is a company notorious for supporting other countries, but not giving back to the country their home base resides in. For these reasons, and I'm sure there are plenty more out there, I encourage all who read this to boycott Starbucks. I serve alongside men and women who will give their life for their country. Starbucks turns their back on them.

I have no dog in this fight but I do frequent Starbucks...

She was late, this much we know from what you said... I understand and can appreciate her pulling off the road to take a phone call from you as way to many people are running thru red lights or crossing traffic lines these days...

But; did she take the time to call the manager? If she did not then I would believe the blame falls on her shoulders... There are way to many undependable people out there who abuse sick time and late to clock in and early to clock out!!! Not saying your wife is one of them but I would pass on her as well if she was late for an interview... Best to be 1 hour early than 2 minutes late!

Regards, lee

PS I did my time in the 82nd when most of us were not appreciated and my son is in the Air Force (Pilot) these days... I trust he is being treated much better by the public than many of us that came before you or my son...

Best to you and yours... and be safe!!!

I'd not heard of that "program" before. I think you're just "lucking up" on a decent price cup of coffee in your cup.

I agree. I think DAA is supposed to be paying for a new cup, and is (unintentionally) bullying employees into giving him a refill price by (again unintentionally) telling them it's a refill. They know better but aren't going to put up a big fuss over a $0.50 cup of coffee.

Free refills must occur within the same store visit. Once you leave the store, your visit has ended and any subsequent coffee or tea refill thereafter would be considered a new purchase.

I have and frequently use my Starbucks Gold card and this is indeed how it works - they swipe the card during the refill too, and I've had a casual conversation with others in line about whether their system is actively checking to see when your original order was (our unofficial conclusion: it probably knows, but it's not gatekeeping anything). I also have several Starbucks mugs and travel containers, and have never heard of a situation where owning one confers the privilege of every visit being deemed a "refill."

But who knows...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom