Boy, 14, scuba diving with his dad, drowns off Deerfield Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The latest report in the Miami Herald said neither diver was certified. Their dive experience was 3 dives and the 14 year old was dead due to drowning with air remaining in his tank.

I too used to free dive with my father. We would spearfish and we would go to the Cayman Islands before it was a dive destination. They were wonderful times and he tried to watch me like a hawk.

Parents are always watching their young scuba divers like a hawk even those with experience. Wonder why? I suspect that deep inside, most of us don't really trust our youngsters to be mature enough to handle a really dangerous situation. For that matter, there are a lot of adults who won't be able to handle a dangerous situation...but that's another story.

I'm certain there are mature teenagers out there who have more skills than myself. They are the minority IMHO. Teenage boys just get "stoopid" and that doesn't seem to change for most until they are in their mid 20's. Certification at 10 is a bad idea.

Just my opinion.

Larry Stein

Posted on Sat, Jul. 31, 2004
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

DEERFIELD BEACH

BSO: Inexperience a factor in diving death of teen

A lack of diving certification and experience may have contributed to the death of a 14-year-old Deerfield Beach boy who drowned Thursday while diving with his father.
BY CRISTINA SILVA
csilva@herald.com

Neither Yannick Berger nor his father, Herbert, was a certified diver, investigators say.
Both had only dived about two or three times.

Yet on Thursday, they headed out to the beach in diving gear and tanks. They waded into the ocean along the 900 block of Southwest 21st Avenue in Deerfield Beach. And they made their way out about 200 yards to a depth of about 12 feet, Broward Sheriff's Office said.

Their lack of certification and lack of experience might have contributed to Yannick's drowning death, BSO said.

During the dive, Herbert Berger, 39, surfaced to clear water from his mask. When he descended back into the water, he could not locate Yannick, 14, and called for help.

Lifeguards found Yannick about 20 minutes later on the ocean floor.

The boy was rushed to North Broward General Medical Center near Pompano Beach, and was pronounced dead soon afterward.

An autopsy Friday revealed the drowning was an accident.

Yannick's air tank was approximately two-thirds full when his body was recovered, BSO said.

But investigators also found that Yannick's buoyancy control device (BCD) contained 12 pounds of lead weight loaded into two utility pockets. The device allows divers to sink easily to the bottom of the ocean, said Jeff Porode, president of South Florida Diving Headquarters, a diving company in Pompano Beach.

In an emergency situation, however, divers should ditch the BCD weights so they can rise to the surface of the water, Porode said in an interview Thursday night.

Yannick did not do that.

Inexperienced divers might not know better or forget their training, Porode said.

BSO dispatch received the call for help about 4:50 p.m. and responded with a helicopter and a BSO Marine Unit vessel.

Deerfield Beach lifeguards also responded and located Yannick on the sea floor. By about 5:10 p.m., they had brought him to the surface and raced him to shore with the help of a water scooter. Whether or not equipment malfunction caused Yannick to drown is unclear.

Inexperience led to scuba diving death, official says

By Ann W. O'Neill
Staff Writer

July 31, 2004

Inexperience and lack of proper training contributed to the death of a 14-year-old boy who drowned while scuba diving with his father 200 yards off Deerfield Beach, the Broward Sheriff's Office said Friday.

The Broward County Medical Examiner's Office concluded Yannick Berger accidentally drowned. Berger disappeared late Thursday afternoon in 10 to 12 feet of water about a mile south of the Deerfield Beach International Fishing Pier.

Herbert Berger, 39, told investigators he surfaced to clear his mask shortly before 5 p.m. and lost sight of his son. Lifeguards found the 150-pound teenager, unresponsive, on the ocean floor about 30 minutes later, Sheriff's Office spokesman Hugh Graf said.

The teen was pronounced dead at Broward General Medical Center at 5:41 p.m.

"There's no suspicion of foul play," Graf said. "It appears it was just a tragic accident. There are still a lot of questions to be answered, and the investigation is continuing."

Thursday was the last day of the popular lobster mini-season, but Graf said there was no indication that the father and son were diving for lobsters when the accident occurred.

Neither was a certified diver, Graf said. Lack of experience is a leading cause of scuba deaths, said Sgt. Larry Whitford, commander of the Sheriff's Office Dive Team.

"We investigate anywhere from four to seven scuba fatalities a year. They're not uncommon," Whitford said. Generally, he added, the fatalities occurred because the divers were not certified or were newly certified. Panic can set in when a diver is unfamiliar with the equipment, he said.

Copyright © 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

As the father of a diving teen, my heart went out to the father and family when this story first broke. It's every parents worst nightmare. Now with this information out, all I feel is rage at such a senseless and careless death. That father now has to live the rest of his life with that knowledge that he killed his son.

Marc

How tragic and senseless. This is truly a case where the father should at least be charged with felony child neglect. IMHO he should be charged with manslaughter. If you can't tell, I am truly upset that anyone would do something so stupid, especially to their child. It's one thing putting your own life in jeapardy, that is a personal choice. Children trust their parents to keep them safe.

DennisW:
How tragic and senseless. This is truly a case where the father should at least be charged with felony child neglect. IMHO he should be charged with manslaughter. If you can't tell, I am truly upset that anyone would do something so stupid, especially to their child. It's one thing putting your own life in jeapardy, that is a personal choice. Children trust their parents to keep them safe.

No,w it that a little rough? I could feel the same way, except - did we ever find out about the training level of the two...?

It was a different world then, but when I was 12, I was driving a 2-1/2 ton truck hauling cattle I'd loaded myself, driving a tracotr & plow rig that OSHA would have never approved, and many other things that weren't as dangerous.

It's a sad accident for us to learn from, but we may never know the facts, cause, etc.

I find it hard to beleive that information such as the 2 not being certified would have been released at this stage

I think that it was reported at one point that they were inexperieced - and that got warped to not certified.

I also doubt that such specific details as the father surfaced to clear his mask would be available at this stage also - that could only have come from the father and I think he`d bee too busy greiving to talk to the media

I sense a lot of guess work - As I said once -- I really hope thats the case

This is such a tragic event . I have a ? how can dive shops not be held legal liable for not checking certification before selling or renting dive equipment out to individuals.

1. very few cert cards have photos - so ANYONE can borrow someone`s card
2. you can buy equipment on ebay or from any internet location

So why SHOULD dive shops be held liable for individuals actions ... ??

I am newly certified from ssi and our c cards have our photos on them. When we went on a boat dive last week we had to show our cards so i thought everyone had thier pics on c cards .

scubabanker:
This is such a tragic event . I have a ? how can dive shops not be held legal liable for not checking certification before selling or renting dive equipment out to individuals.

Oh PLEASE....

Surely you aren't going to blame the scuba shop for the unfortunate tragedy....

sealkie:
1. very few cert cards have photos - so ANYONE can borrow someone`s card
really? All my PADI cards have my picture. PADI alone is a lot of cards...

Back
Top Bottom