British woman dead, Instructor arrested - Saranda, Albania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. The comment from the dive center employee is priceless:

"'We’re all very shocked. She was a qualified open water diver, she had a PADI certificate,' they continued."

If you can't trust an OW diver to dive a wreck, who can you trust? ("I'm shocked, shocked to find that there is gambling going on here!")

I was shocked at this comment a well but not for the same reasons as you. You are making assumptions that are based on the facts presented.

She was an OW diver, diving to a wreck that was 7-8 meters deep. With just these facts, the statement made by the dive center employee is correct. She was qualified to do this dive. It does not take a highly qualified diver to swum around a wreck at 8 meters.

Now if you assume she was doing penetration, then yes, she would not be certified for the dive but the facts do not suggest that.

We need to be careful when examining accidents and incidents and not jump to conclusions based on thoughts and opinions not based in fact. The Human Factors in Diving course is an invaluable tool for looking at incidents in the appropriate manner so that we may learn as much as possible.

I was shocked at this comment a well but not for the same reasons as you. You are making assumptions that are based on the facts presented.

She was an OW diver, diving to a wreck that was 7-8 meters deep. With just these facts, the statement made by the dive center employee is correct. She was qualified to do this dive. It does not take a highly qualified diver to swum around a wreck at 8 meters.

Now if you assume she was doing penetration, then yes, she would not be certified for the dive but the facts do not suggest that.

We need to be careful when examining accidents and incidents and not jump to conclusions based on thoughts and opinions not based in fact. The Human Factors in Diving course is an invaluable tool for looking at incidents in the appropriate manner so that we may learn as much as possible.
I made no assumptions about the depth or complexity of the dive. It was clear that the reporter knows nothing about diving and was not a reliable source of information about the dive.

I was reacting to the disingenuous implication by the employee that the open water cert carries with it a presumption of general competence.

it doesn’t. And every employee on every dive charter knows it doesn’t.

it doesn’t. And every employee on every dive charter knows it doesn’t.
But that depends on how competent the dive shop employee is!

As for the reporting, well we've seen enough rubbish written in the media posted in SB over the years to sadly just laugh at what is written, which is not good when a diver loses their life doing what we all enjoy.

It also makes it difficult for us to fully understand what happened and learn from these accidents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom