Boy, 14, scuba diving with his dad, drowns off Deerfield Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Boy, 14, scuba diving with his dad, drowns off Deerfield Beach

Sun-Sentinel.com

July 29, 2004, 6:35 PM EDT

A 14-year-old boy drowned Thursday while scuba diving with his father about 200 yards off Deerfield Beach, police said.

Herbert Berger, 39, of Deerfield Beach, surfaced just before 5 p.m. but did not see his son, Yannick, Broward Sheriff's Office spokesman Hugh Graf said. When he saw his son's snorkel wash up on the beach, he became worried and called 911.

Lifeguards, deputies and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officers searched the area near the 900 block of Southeast 21st Avenue before lifeguards found the teen unconscious on the ocean floor about 20 feet deep, Graf said. They rushed him to shore aboard a water scooter. Deerfield Beach Fire-Rescue paramedics took him to North Broward Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

The Sheriff's Office is investigating.

This story hits particularly close to home. The area where it happened is just south of the Embassy Suites on the beach where the FCD has their group dive last weekend.

I showed it to my 15 year old daughter and told her why sometimes I "yell" (her words) at her when we're diving when something doesn't go according to plan. I told her I will continue to yell at her if needed.

I also gave gave her an extra long hug and told her I love her before she went to bed.

Marc

I wonder how they got separated?

Very sad. Were they locals, or vacationers? I haven't seen anything on it yet.

I wonder why dad didn't worry intil the snorkel washed up!

He wasn't surprised that the boy was gone or what!

My daughter would say..."Well like duh...

I'm gonna give up reading.

This is extremely sad news.
Prayers aloft for the family.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
This is extremely sad news.
Prayers aloft for the family.
Rick
"

Sad is certainly one word for it.

i,m sorry to hear that and it propably was preventable what makes it even harder,14 years= JOWD has to dive with an adult or Pro,where was his buddy/father? Anyway my prayers go to the family.peace

MikeFerrara:
"
Sad is certainly one word for it.
Yeah, Mike, for many many reasons...
Sigh...
Rick

Feelings: How horrible, this moment of loss, when you start to understand what has just taken place.

Thoughts: Every one of us has embarked upon our mutual passion, and should know full well, that try as we might, or being as prepared as we may be, we go into a perilous environment. Such tragedy can befall ANY of us. Perhaps this father took the best precautions he knew. I probably will never know.
But I do know that his loss is the greatest that there can possibly be. And I can only grieve. Like this man I am a father. My love for my two children often stuns me. So like that man, who now lives in sorrow, hope to one-day share with my 2 young and curious people, something so beautiful and eminent as a living reef.
Even against such a possibility.
Now to offer prayers, and a hope for peace.

Very sad story.
Even more so as parents shouldn't be burying their children.
My thoughts with the family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom