Boy, 14, scuba diving with his dad, drowns off Deerfield Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is horrible. I started diving when i was 12 and every time i see a youg diver now i try and stop and chat them, see how they are enjoying it and chat...Cant say how terrible i feel for this boys family and friends...Damn...I;ll keep this in my prayers...just bad to hear about this

Posted on Fri, Jul. 30, 2004

DEERFIELD BEACH

14-year-old boy drowns while diving with father

A 14-year-old Deerfield Beach boy died while scuba diving with his father in shallow water Thursday afternoon.

BY CRISTINA SILVA

Herbert Berger surfaced briefly to clear his mask while scuba diving with his 14-year-old son Thursday afternoon.

But when he dived back into what police later said were ''relatively shallow waters,'' his youngest child was nowhere to be seen.

Lifeguards found Yannick Berger about 20 minutes later on the ocean floor.

Yannick was rushed to North Broward General Medical Center in Pompano Beach but was pronounced dead soon afterward, at 5:41 p.m.

''It's such a horrible tragedy. Not only did this boy die, but his father was there to watch it,'' said Hugh Graf, a spokesman for the Broward Sheriff's Office.

It's unclear how long the boy was underwater or what went wrong, Graf said. Foul play is not suspected.

The Bergers were diving about 200 yards out from the 900 block of Southeast 21st Avenue in Deerfield Beach, BSO said.

Rescue officials were contacted at about 4:50 p.m. and arrived at the beach with a helicopter and a marine unit vessel. Deerfield Beach lifeguards found Yannick. Around 5:10 p.m. he was brought to the surface and rushed to shore on a water scooter.

An autopsy is scheduled for today. There were no other injuries.

Yannick was Raphaela and Herbert Berger's second child.

They also had an older son, neighbors said Thursday night.

Both boys were described as polite and well-behaved.

The Bergers had just moved to their home in the Starlight Cove neighborhood a year ago and kept mostly to themselves, neighbors said.

Many different factors could have contributed to Berger's death, Graf said, including weather conditions and equipment malfunction.

RIP CURRENTS

The National Weather Service issued a warning for moderate rip currents in Broward beaches yesterday, said Barry Baxter, a meteorologist.

While the incident occurred on the second and last day of Florida's lobster sport diving miniseason, it was not clear Thursday whether the Bergers were hunting lobsters.

The miniseason is the time of year when most diving fatalities occur, said Jeff Porode, president of South Florida Diving Headquarters, a Pompano Beach dive shop.

``Every miniseason we get people who haven't dived in a whole year. They come out and they aren't prepared. They get all fanatic about getting the lobsters, and they forget to keep safe.''

CERTIFIED DIVERS

BSO officials said they did not know whether the Bergers were certified scuba divers.

Children can become certified at age 10, but must dive under adult supervision until they are 15, Porode said.

:06: I don't know if its just bad reporting or if the father really did surface leaving the child on the bottom. I sincerely hope it was bad reporting. I guess my other question is if he couldn't find the boy when he went back down, did he not have a safety sausage or air horn to attract attention, requiring him to swim to shore to summon help or if beach diving, would anyone notice him signaling for help?

I know that hubby & I have a rule that when diving with each other or anyone else. As buddys we stay together. If one surfaces for any reason so does the other one. What may seem to be a minor adjustment(mask leak, etc) at depth can end up being a major issue at the surface requiring calling the dive and a surface swim back to shore or the boat.

Zuzanne

I think it must be bad reporting. The first post indicated the Dad didn't call anyone until his snorkel washed up on the beach. That was so not the case, evidently.

We will never know what really happened. However, a few things can be learned from this, no matter what the truth is:

1. Be proficient in the mask clearing skill. (An aside - if there were indeed rip currents where they were diving, then while performing this skill underwater, it is as concievable that the son would be swept away while Dad was doing this skill as at the surface. So I doubt rip currents were a factor here, really).

2. If you need to surface to get a bearing (I know - inadequate navigational skills), make sure you surface with your buddy, even in 20' of water) OR make sure they know to stay there if visibility is excellant AND no current is present.

My sincere condolences to the family. This is tragic.

CBS news 4 at 5:30 reported that neither father nor son was certified. Sounds farfetched but we'll see what the media brings.

That unfortunate father is suffering enough, and is only too aware of any inadequacies - relevant or irrelevant - that may have led to this tragedy.

I don't believe that speculation or prejudice can in any way assuage his grief, or indeed be a worthwhile post-traumatic lesson to him, or to any of this board's members.

My condolences to the boy's family and friends, and my sympathy to his father.

Seadeuce

Seadeuce:
That unfortunate father is suffering enough, and is only too aware of any inadequacies - relevant or irrelevant - that may have led to this tragedy.

I don't believe that speculation or prejudice can in any way assuage his grief, or indeed be a worthwhile post-traumatic lesson to him, or to any of this board's members.

My condolences to the boy's family and friends, and my sympathy to his father.

Seadeuce

In case I wasn't clear, my point was that the media rarely gets it right, not that the divers were in any way inadequate.

Based on what has been reported, there are lessons, whether or not the reports are true.

As I understand it, the purpose of this forum is to try to learn from acccidents. It certainly has been eye-opening for me.

That does not take away from my sympathy of these tragic accidents.

My family's thoughts and prayers go out to the survivors. It seems like such a preventable accident, from the media reports...

-Grier

I'm sure the father feels horrible, and I have no criticism of him.

But if my 14 y.o. kid or grandkid was Scuba diving in open water, I'd want to be holding his hand.

DennisS:
CBS news 4 at 5:30 reported that neither father nor son was certified. Sounds farfetched but we'll see what the media brings.
The 11:00pm news said that there was some question on certifications, but didn't eloborate on who may or may not have had it, or what level. Then they added the obligatory dumb comment saying the boy was recovered with "heavy lead weights on".

Marc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom