Boy, 14, scuba diving with his dad, drowns off Deerfield Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabanker:
I am newly certified from ssi and our c cards have our photos on them. When we went on a boat dive last week we had to show our cards so i thought everyone had thier pics on c cards .

My PADI cards do, my NAUI do not.

Marc

I'm astounded at how distorted and uninformed the media is. Do they not research? If they are so wrong in their reports about our industries, then we must be very misinformed in other areas where we do not have knowledge, ie. politics and governmental affairs, due to media negligance.

If it should not be reported, they should keep to minimum facts or not report the story. If they are going to report the incident, they should accurately report the incident, or make clear who's opinion they are quoting.

I offer my condolences to the friends and family of the boy, though I am troubled by the account of the accident.

If a mom left the stove on in the house and left the house to fetch the mail, and the stove lit on fire trapping her child in the kitchen to die, would she be held responsible?

The odds are his son would still be around if he'd been trained. He sure as heck would not be going to the surface to clear his mask!!!! That's basic scuba 101. My heart goes out to this family, but it is apparent that the father contributed to his son's death. Should charges be brought against this father???? I would hate to sit on that jury.

SWT

downunderjenn:
If a mom left the stove on in the house and left the house to fetch the mail, and the stove lit on fire trapping her child in the kitchen to die, would she be held responsible?

Yes.

Well that's of course unless there was a dive shop that we could blame some how.

There was a recent tragedy in the Miami area. A dentist drove to work with his young son in the back seat. He forgot that his son was in the car with him. Three hours later, his wife called to inquire how the boy was doing. All attempts to revive the young boy were in vain. As tragic as this accident was, charges have been brought against the father. I really don't see any difference in the two cases.

saltwater taffy:
There was a recent tragedy in the Miami area. A dentist drove to work with his young son in the back seat. He forgot that his son was in the car with him. Three hours later, his wife called to inquire how the boy was doing. All attempts to revive the young boy were in vain. As tragic as this accident was, charges have been brought against the father. I really don't see any difference in the two cases.

How old was the son?
How experienced was he in letting himself out of locked automobiles?

What was the experience of the 14yr old in the water and/or with scuba gear?
What went wrong on his dive?

How does anyone know that certification would have made any difference? Who thinks its a good idea to certify kids that young anyways?

downunderjenn:

Who knows - but ... *IF* the reports are true and the neither father or son were certified then this is more than just a tragic accident. The parent put the child in a very dangerous situation - if he`d let his 14 year old kid drive his car with no prior training for the first time and then climbed in the back and went to sleep and the kid drove the car into a lampost and killed himself ... who would be to blame ???

I will say ... yet again ... that the only people who could say for sure that the 2 were NOT certified are the immediate family - and I doubt very much that they would be making that public even if it were true. Also the only person who could tell you why he went to the surface is the father himself - and again - I doubt he`s having cosy chats with the press hours after his son died.

I do think this is guess work reporting - I suspect they were certified - but inexperienced. The father surface to get a bearing on the shore and lost contact with his son. At least I hope thats the case - because if the press is right - then that father acted in a very irresponsible manner

saltwater taffy:
The odds are his son would still be around if he'd been trained. He sure as heck would not be going to the surface to clear his mask!!!! That's basic scuba 101. My heart goes out to this family, but it is apparent that the father contributed to his son's death. Should charges be brought against this father???? I would hate to sit on that jury.

SWT
Again with the speculation. The child may have experienced a non-dive related episode that caused him to drop the reg from his mouth and drown. Point is, YOU and non of us know. So what good does it do us to sit here and bash them for training or lack of it? It does no good but to condemn someone without evidence. Don't believe everything you read in print. I doubt the reporter knows 1/10th as much as you about diving, but you're willing to take their word for what happened!? Please. I see the same thing happen when a private plane crashes. The armchair pilot come out and pick at "Why his training wasn't up to par, or he's crazy to be doing that, or...", but 1 year later when the NTSB is done with the investigation and the media trail is cold, it is published that some doohicky part broke causing an uncontrollable failure.

Let's not jump to conclusions, ok. God forbid, the family or friends do a search on Google and find this thread talking about prosecuting the father.

DandyDon:
I'm sure the father feels horrible, and I have no criticism of him.

You'd just feeling like stabbing yourself all over and hoping for sharks wouldn't you.....absolutely gut-wrenching.

R..

Again, whether or not the media reports are true, lessons can be learned. It is human nature to judge those folks based on what we read. However, take all media reports with a boatload of salt.

The purpose of this forum is to look at accidents and see how we might learn from them, not to condemn those suffering from the accident (victims or their survivors). But we should be able to discuss it without offending. We rarely seem to be able to do that here. I see this forum closing soon . . . . . (I'm not a moderator - just guessing.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom