Bought my 1st Reg which is a used one. Should I service ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Velven

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Guys ,

To save cost , I've just bought a used regulator as my first regulator.

An Atomic Aqutics B2 at about 360 USD.

Servicing it costs about 120 USD and it's the reason why I'm hesitating to.

Description : ( Not sure about the authenticity of the story )
Atomic Aquatics B2 , about 8 dives done. Had to sell gears due to family.
Serviced and laying in the store room ever since without usage.

If it's really serviced and laid in the store room ever since , I don't see why I need to service it if I've tested it out and there's no problem right ?

Though , the seller ( Female ) seems to be trustworthy and used to work for SSI and have a good reputation on our local forum ( not diving related though ).

Thing is , I'm kinda hesitating to send the used regulators for servicing as it costs a lot.
I went to the LDS and they did a physical inspection / tested it with the tanks and there's no problem or so they claim.
Current plan is to bring it over to a pool session and give it a test.

My camera ain't good. But I hope you guys can spot something out.
As I remove the hose protector I spotted what it seems like a corrosion ?

Attachments

• 43388256_260865661287880_6176091593586507776_n.jpg
    43388256_260865661287880_6176091593586507776_n.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 43397981_995224374019357_3897595306866376704_n.jpg
    43397981_995224374019357_3897595306866376704_n.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 43311643_324891881394731_8782188336170139648_n.jpg
    43311643_324891881394731_8782188336170139648_n.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 43408180_1065152436979005_6300248137357328384_n.jpg
    43408180_1065152436979005_6300248137357328384_n.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 43522907_2178648875794963_107381080117477376_n.jpg
    43522907_2178648875794963_107381080117477376_n.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 43504193_717290735293897_1493208404804501504_n.jpg
    43504193_717290735293897_1493208404804501504_n.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 43410116_297565564408247_7934570089263661056_n.jpg
    43410116_297565564408247_7934570089263661056_n.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 81
ever since when? a year? 5 yrars? If its a long time you might have some rubber detieroration
Although my hoses (Atomic T2) are about 6 or 7 and still look good. I don't do anything except keep in in the bag in the closet between trips.

One advantage that reg - and all Atomics have is the seat saver orifice - the entire time it's been in storage itt's kept the seat from imprinting.

IIRC the 2nd stage is all Titanium - it doesn't corrode. Plus the shop should have popped the cover off and looked at it during the inspection.

My non-professional opinion - I'd dive it. Shallow and carefully at first. I'd feel pretty confident since the shop looked at it also.

My Atomics reliably go double the recommended service interval and I think they could even go longer - I notice no loss in performance. I had a B1 about a decade ago and it was flawless - my buddy still uses it now.

They're pretty bulletproof IMO.I dropped my whole rig, tank, weights etc.off the back of a truck once. It landed on a rock on the yoke. I dusted it off and used it the rest of the week. Never even considered having it looked at and there were 1/2 dozen shops within a couple miles of where we stayed.

ymmv

Question is....do you feel lucky? Well, do you?

If it checks out with a steady IP I would dive it without a worry.

I went to the LDS and they did a physical inspection / tested it with the tanks and there's no problem or so they claim.
This is really the key.
First, go here, and after you buy a $20 IP gauge, do the tests yourself: Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)
Second, I see that the first stage is not environmentally sealed. But with only a half-dozen dives and your pics of an uncorroded sintered filter, and a stable Intermediate Pressure (including an overnight check), then there's little reason to service the first stage. Recall that Atomic has a 2 year service interval on that reg. But your LDS probably didn't leave the reg pressurized overnight to check IP stability. I do that every time I service my gear.
Third, take a look inside the second stage. As noted above, the barrel is titanium, so there should be zero corrosion. But additionally, if there's no sand and debris inside, and the cracking effort is 1.0-1.4", then you should be just fine. Why? Atomic's "seat-saver" feature. The orifice lifts off the poppet when the reg is unpressurized, so there's NO wear on the seat during storage (unlike most every other brand). That means, that at the cost of an open valve when you rinse your second stage (hold the first stage higher while the second is in the sink), there is MUCH LESS wear on the single part that gives you the most problems: the poppet seat.

IF the regs pass @couv 's regulator test, including an overnight IP check, you are just fine. No reason to service, and with an overnight IP check you've done more that your LDS did when they "checked it out."

Finally, that little bit of verdigris corrosion under the hose "protector" is very common. Probably occurs right around dive #6 in salt water. Me, I don't use hose protectors. They just hide stuff. You can't really eliminate the joint protector on that swivel, but again, that little bit of verdigris is not an issue.

My 2 cents.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Don't hesitate to post questions. Folks here love to help. Just keep in mind...some free advice is worth just what you paid for it: nothing! :D

Seriously? The think looks brand new. That "corrosion" is just surface stuff. As @rsingler metioned, remove the hose protectors, wipe the fitting down with a little vinegar, inspect all the hose fittings while you're at it...

Test the thing in the pool or a shallow dive and be done with it. I log 150 dives a year, half in ice-cold water and half in salt water. I service them every two years and there's never anything wrong with them.

The one exception, as someone pointed out, if it's been lying around for a 5 years or something, then rubber bits with have dried and should be replaced.

Let's not terrify the OP by making him think this gear is fragile and out to kill him.

If it was their tech that checked it, I'd call it good. If just a tank money, not so much.

Personally I'd contact the seller and see how long it sat, do the couv checks, and if ok, do some shallow dives and see how it acts before getting carried away.

Bob

Seriously? The think looks brand new. That "corrosion" is just surface stuff. As @rsingler metioned, remove the hose protectors, wipe the fitting down with a little vinegar, inspect all the hose fittings while you're at it...

Test the thing in the pool or a shallow dive and be done with it. I log 150 dives a year, half in ice-cold water and half in salt water. I service them every two years and there's never anything wrong with them.

The one exception, as someone pointed out, if it's been lying around for a 5 years or something, then rubber bits with have dried and should be replaced.

Let's not terrify the OP by making him think this gear is fragile and out to kill him.
He’s free to dive with it! Chances are he can dive with it for years without servicing if properly cleaned each dive...me, I’d get it serviced, but that’s just me.

Whats' the dark spot in the middle of the filter on the first stage? In the pictures it looks like a hole in the filter.

Along with what everyone else suggested, I'd put it on a tank and stick the second stage in a bucket of water. If it starts to free-flow when you slowly immerse it mouthpiece-up and it does not bubble after it's been sitting for a while then it is likely to be adjusted properly and the valve seat is OK.

ever since when? a year? 5 yrars? If its a long time you might have some rubber detieroration

One advantage that reg - and all Atomics have is the seat saver orifice - the entire time it's been in storage itt's kept the seat from imprinting.

IIRC the 2nd stage is all Titanium - it doesn't corrode. Plus the shop should have popped the cover off and looked at it during the inspection.

My non-professional opinion - I'd dive it. Shallow and carefully at first. I'd feel pretty confident since the shop looked at it also.

My Atomics reliably go double the recommended service interval and I think they could even go longer - I notice no loss in performance. I had a B1 about a decade ago and it was flawless - my buddy still uses it now.

They're pretty bulletproof IMO.I dropped my whole rig, tank, weights etc.off the back of a truck once. It landed on a rock on the yoke. I dusted it off and used it the rest of the week. Never even considered having it looked at and there were 1/2 dozen shops within a couple miles of where we stayed.

ymmv
Thanks !

It's been sitting in the storage about 1 1/2 - 2 years since it last serviced.

Was hesitating on choosing a SP or Atomic. Decided for the Atomic since all the good reviews here. It's a blessing knowing they are reliable enough to last longer than the 2 years intervals.

All my LDS did was hook it up to a tank , listen to sounds , blow into the reg and breathe through it to test.

Guess I feel kinda lucky ? Let's not leave it up to luck

If it checks out with a steady IP I would dive it without a worry.
Will be checking this soon ! Thanks. Need to buy an IP gauge as it seems pretty handy too.

This is really the key.
First, go here, and after you buy a $20 IP gauge, do the tests yourself: Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8)
Second, I see that the first stage is not environmentally sealed. But with only a half-dozen dives and your pics of an uncorroded sintered filter, and a stable Intermediate Pressure (including an overnight check), then there's little reason to service the first stage. Recall that Atomic has a 2 year service interval on that reg. But your LDS probably didn't leave the reg pressurized overnight to check IP stability. I do that every time I service my gear.
Third, take a look inside the second stage. As noted above, the barrel is titanium, so there should be zero corrosion. But additionally, if there's no sand and debris inside, and the cracking effort is 1.0-1.4", then you should be just fine. Why? Atomic's "seat-saver" feature. The orifice lifts off the poppet when the reg is unpressurized, so there's NO wear on the seat during storage (unlike most every other brand). That means, that at the cost of an open valve when you rinse your second stage (hold the first stage higher while the second is in the sink), there is MUCH LESS wear on the single part that gives you the most problems: the poppet seat.

IF the regs pass @couv 's regulator test, including an overnight IP check, you are just fine. No reason to service, and with an overnight IP check you've done more that your LDS did when they "checked it out."

Finally, that little bit of verdigris corrosion under the hose "protector" is very common. Probably occurs right around dive #6 in salt water. Me, I don't use hose protectors. They just hide stuff. You can't really eliminate the joint protector on that swivel, but again, that little bit of verdigris is not an issue.

My 2 cents.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Don't hesitate to post questions. Folks here love to help. Just keep in mind...some free advice is worth just what you paid for it: nothing! :D
Thank you ! I've learned a lot from here. Guess all I need to do is hook it up and check the IP overnight.

My LDS didn't mention anything like this as well.

Ahahah yeah ! Will be cleaning it with Vinegar. Was kinda searching on how to clean it and I found my answer here instead.

If it was their tech that checked it, I'd call it good. If just a tank money, not so much.

Personally I'd contact the seller and see how long it sat, do the couv checks, and if ok, do some shallow dives and see how it acts before getting carried away.

Bob

Hello Bob , about 1 1/2 - 2 years.

He’s free to dive with it! Chances are he can dive with it for years without servicing if properly cleaned each dive...me, I’d get it serviced, but that’s just me.
Servicing costs a bomb here , would have pretty much love to not service it if possible.

Whats' the dark spot in the middle of the filter on the first stage? In the pictures it looks like a hole in the filter.

Along with what everyone else suggested, I'd put it on a tank and stick the second stage in a bucket of water. If it starts to free-flow when you slowly immerse it mouthpiece-up and it does not bubble after it's been sitting for a while then it is likely to be adjusted properly and the valve seat is OK.
I'm not sure , probably lighting issue perhaps ? Don't think there's a hole. I'll try get a better picture of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom