Using Vintage Reg for a pony set up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive old stuff because it's cheap. With a few exceptions there hasn't been a lot of progress in regulator designs. Mostly just fine tuning and newer (cheaper?) materials.
That said, I think I'd avoid the added complication of the j valve.

I dive old stuff because it's cheap. With a few exceptions there hasn't been a lot of progress in regulator designs. Mostly just fine tuning and newer (cheaper?) materials.
ā€¦..same observation hereā€¦.. not all old designs obsolete. Just made to look better and be more desirable to divers looking for new stuff. New metals are different and newer plastics somewhat questionable. ā€¦and more priceyšŸ˜

... Thoughts?
One concern: If you can't service it, yourself, and if you're away from someone who can service it in a pinch, maybe away on a bucket list dive vacation, then you might have to miss out on some (perhaps expensive) dives.

However, if you learn to service it, yourself, and you can source/assemble a rebuild/service kit to keep in your save-a-dive kit, then this concern disappears.

rx7diver

Yes Iā€™ve ā€œlockedā€ the J reserve in the open/no reserve position so the J reserve doesnā€™t factor into use of the regulator at all.

First generation ScubaPro MK2 (circa 1963). Switched out the skinny yoke for one to reliably take 3K...

1707178953440.jpeg

Still diving it... It is a beast...

One concern: If you can't service it, yourself, and if you're away from someone who can service it in a pinch, maybe away on a bucket list dive vacation, then you might have to miss out on some (perhaps expensive) dives.

However, if you learn to service it, yourself, and you can source/assemble a rebuild/service kit to keep in your save-a-dive kit, then this concern disappears.

rx7diver
BTW, there are still service techs out there who service the ā€˜vintageā€™ stuff. They are not bound by proprietary manufacturers mandates. I know a few that you can ship to for service and repair and they are thorough. Please bear in mind, though, parts availability may make it difficult to service some gear. Aqua-Lung and Mares have the most interchangeable parts with their ā€˜vintageā€™ gear. If you are looking for service/repair, please DM me and I may be able to help. ScubaPro parts are pretty available as well.

ā€¦having a fairly extensive ā€˜save-a-diveā€™ kit comes in handy as well. I actually keep HP & LP hose(s) and a Mares Abyss ā€˜2ndā€™ and ā€˜moreā€™ in mine w/tools I need to change out if it becomes necessary.šŸ˜€

Iā€™m don't own and donā€™t plan on using a pony bottle, bail out bottle, ior other secondary tanks as I do only casual, low stress rec diving now with a single tank. I join this conversation to make this pointā€¦ if you have any kind of secondary tank, the reg mounted on it should be just as reliable as the primary regulator on your main tank(s). Like a parachute, if you need it. You really need it!
(coninued)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom