Boat bag options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insta-Gator

☀️ Endless Summer 🌤
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Old dive bag has finally given it up :( (after 23 years)

I'm considering using a hard case suitcase for air travel and a mesh bag for a boat bag. I'm open to recommendations, but was wandering if anyone had experience with Armor bags.

I'm considering this mesh, wheeled bag. Should fold up small enough to fit with other gear in suitcase for use later on the boat.

Comments? Recommendations?

Armor Rolling Mesh Duffle Bag #98 w- Free Dry Bag @ Divers-Supply.com

I needed 2 soft bags for a live aboard trip but did not want to spend $300, went to a Army Navy surplus and got 2 heavy duty duffel bags that hold all our dive gear for $20 each my wife ironed on some decorations so they would look cute.

Academy Sports sells a 15x30 or so mesh bag with zipper and handles - $9.99. My XL fins fit, along with my prosthetic dive leg, camera case, mask case, snorkel, reg set, gloves, boots, etc. BC is folded on top in between the handles. When you're done for the day, just dump the entire bag in the rinse tank and slosh it around :D

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check out the web sites when I get home on the computer

Academy Sports sells a 15x30 or so mesh bag with zipper and handles - $9.99. My XL fins fit, along with my prosthetic dive leg, camera case, mask case, snorkel, reg set, gloves, boots, etc. BC is folded on top in between the handles. When you're done for the day, just dump the entire bag in the rinse tank and slosh it around :D

I assume you mean this bag? (color might vary)

Academy - Timber Creek Mesh Duffel Bag

10080532.jpg

I'm glad that's working out great for you, but in my opinion, for me this bag would not be a good solution. I'm a fan of shopping at Academy, but this looks like a real thin mesh bag that wouldn't last long. Thin mesh and doesn't look like strong construction to hold up long term to the heavy weight of scuba gear, much less when it's wet.

I've had these cheap manufactured type bags tear before. onetime on the airport baggage claim, spilling my dive gear all over the place. (wasn't a mesh roller bag, but a cheap walmart roller bag that couldn't handle the water and salt from the ocean. the bag just deteriorated ).

The good thing about it is that when/if it goes (tears), it's only $10 bucks. :thumb: (plus some divers don't have the extra $100 bucks in their budget to pay for the higher end bags).

along with my prosthetic dive leg

way to kick ass and keep active. :thumb:

I know this isn't a solution for all..... but I just use a free duffle bag I got from Gallery furniture when I lived in Houston. My local boat diving ( a pontoon boat in Lake Travis ) allows me to pull my car up to the dock. My BP/W, lights and Regs are mounted /clipped on one of my tanks. My wetsuit, mask and dry box is inside the dyffle bag. I throw the BP/W on my back, grab the duffle bag and throw it over my shoulder and then grab the other tank and fins and walk onto the boat.

When I go on a liveaboard like BlackBeards I just put my gear in a suitcase that gets unloaded and staged and the suitcase left behind at the docks. On some New Jersey boats I've been on big plastic bins were allowed due to boatspace and all the technical gear.

I'm not sure why I'd need a fancy boat bag ever again.

Stalsac is the only bag worth buying, the Stalsac bonaire bag has a dry pouch in it that you can completely submerge. There is no other bag worth buying than an Stalsac. They have a life time warrenty, so even after 23 years they would either fix your bag or give you a new one. They also make luggage as well, you should look at the Jamacian Sumggler, it has a hard bottem and folds up small. We carry the full line and give you the full warrenty, check them out.

Just make sure there will be room on the boat for your bag. If it will fit under the bench, even better. I am sometimes amazed at the size of the bags people wheel on to the boat.

REI carries high quality mesh duffel bags that will also fold into themselves for efficient packing. I can pack all of my gear in the orange large size (aside from the tank), and added a shoulder strap that I had laying around to carry gear hands-free:

REI Mesh Duffel - Large $25
REI Mesh Duffel - X-Large $29

Nice aspect of REI is the essentially unlimited return policy. I've found it hard to go wrong with the REI-branded products, but it was no problem to replace the few items that did have an issue even several years after purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom