Blue triggerfish bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to feed Black Triggerfish with bread for a good photo, never had any problems with them.
I didn't have a problem with the trigger swarm, but it was startling. I am surprised that your triggers like bread.

I didn't have a problem with the trigger swarm, but it was startling. I am surprised that your triggers like bread.
Lots of fish like bread, including Butterflyfish and various snappers. In the lakes, Bluegills run amok if you offer them some.

Lots of fish like bread, including Butterflyfish and various snappers. In the lakes, Bluegills run amok if you offer them some.
Had a dive guide on Cozumel several years ago who, when I produced pastries from the breakfast buffet, asked me how many fish were in line with me.

Feeding marine life alters their natural behavior and should be avoided, if not prohibited.

Is it the triggerfish that will lead divers to lionfish?
At one time when Pez Leon were plentiful occasionally they would be thrown to the Mutton Snappers and in years past occasionally a few caught on and would flash colors near a Pez Leon to attract a hunter. Been a long time since I have seen them do this and actually you don't see many Snappers anymore other than in the tourist restaurants courtesy of the unrestricted poachers. That really great fish dinner you eat in town is often the fish you no longer see in the park.

I keep thinking that these trigger fish attacking attacking is almost like being attacked by Canadian goose.. You just have to have a bigger wingspan lol

Very entertaining read.

I keep thinking that these trigger fish attacking attacking is almost like being attacked by Canadian goose.. You just have to have a bigger wingspan lol

Very entertaining read.
I have been swarmed repeatedly by aggressive Queen triggers while trying to retain a few decent sized Lion Fish over the last several years. I have a 18" kill fork, with a point guard, that I have used to swat them away with. The worst area for myself has been coming up off the deep Tunich wall ridges. I have been told (but have not verified it) that they make excellent Ceviche

Even when nesting they always let me take photos and video of them. Titans are nice fish. Beautiful when their trigger is up.

You are staying outside of their cone of danger, else wise there is no way that they just love you enough to let you help yourself during nesting season (in SE Asia).

My apologies folks, Blackcrusader and I are speaking of titan triggering on the other side of the world. We are sharing our remarks in the wrong subforum.

Been a long time since I have seen them do this and actually you don't see many Snappers anymore other than in the tourist restaurants courtesy of the unrestricted poachers. That really great fish dinner you eat in town is often the fish you no longer see in the park.
Snapper has been off my menu for a very very long time.
I could never understand why divers tuck into sea food without thinking where they came from! And then complaint the sea is void of beautiful fish or whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom