Blue triggerfish bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Blue triggerfish bite. Through the rubber part of my wetsuit, thankfully. Almost 4 hundred dives, mostly Caribbean, never seen this before.
is it common?

Attachments

• 81C839D2-6C04-41BF-818E-D3BA0DAF97AA.jpeg
    81C839D2-6C04-41BF-818E-D3BA0DAF97AA.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 219
Triggerfish are dicks. I had one bite me on the finger. Small bite, but enough to make me bleed. A bite penetrating a wetsuit is pretty aggressive.

Where were you?

I know that queen triggerfish in SE Asia that are nesting are very dangerous.

We have Ocean, Queen, and Gray Triggerfish in SE Florida. The only ones to take a nip are the Gray Triggerfish. They can be a real nuisance at times.

What is a Blue Trigger, Sargassum Triggerfish?

Yup, not uncommon. I’ve been followed & harassed by them. They have that look in their eye that says they’re boss!

Attachments

• FD90B055-CF3C-4550-9FA3-8162598A9A81.jpeg
    FD90B055-CF3C-4550-9FA3-8162598A9A81.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 190
I have had damselfish nip at me when I come to close to where they are nesting.
The bite from a Titan trigger can easily leave you with nasty infection. It has powerful jaw because it feeds on hard coral.
Bitten once and have been attacked on numerous occasions.

At a reef here in Islamorada where one of the dive ops does weekly feedings a diver was bit in the head and needed stitches
A few times the triggers followed me all over the reef and I nor anyone else was feeding at the time
couple of smacks with the camera sent them on their way after avoidance didnt work

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom