Blue triggerfish bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a Queen Triggerfish in January come at me from every possible angle. I cant remember which dive site we were at but I am still amazed I didnt get bit. She really did not like my Go Pro which seemed to be her focus of attack.

I have been swarmed repeatedly by aggressive Queen triggers while trying to retain a few decent sized Lion Fish over the last several years. I have a 18" kill fork, with a point guard, that I have used to swat them away with. The worst area for myself has been coming up off the deep Tunich wall ridges. I have been told (but have not verified it) that they make excellent Ceviche
Triggerfish in general is good.

You are staying outside of their cone of danger, else wise there is no way that they just love you enough to let you help yourself during nesting season (in SE Asia).

Yes it is important for people to learn about the cone shape zone and not be in that zone. Certainly I was not going to be directly above that Titan with it's trigger raised. A clear warning sign. Stay below or at eye level seems to work for me. The other issue is that many divers do not look to see where they are on their dives and swim into an attack zone. Then the games begin. Strangely other divers with me were waiting to see me get attacked and were really surprised I was able to get close to take that video. With the trigger up you need to be alert. That is another sign divers miss.

Our remarks are still valid they are after all Trigger fish and I did post a nice swarm of red toothed triggers.

Yes it is important for people to learn about the cone shape zone and not be in that zone. Certainly I was not going to be directly above that Titan with it's trigger raised. A clear warning sign. Stay below or at eye level seems to work for me. The other issue is that many divers do not look to see where they are on their dives and swim into an attack zone. Then the games begin. Strangely other divers with me were waiting to see me get attacked and were really surprised I was able to get close to take that video. With the trigger up you need to be alert. That is another sign divers miss.

Our remarks are still valid they are after all Trigger fish and I did post a nice swarm of red toothed triggers.
Does any of this relate to Cozumel?

Are red toothed trigger fish or titans a different species in other parts of the world?

I thought this was a goose thread for awhile. Chilly was just commenting on my being close to a nesting Titan. Not something most divers should try doing really. I've seen vacation divers suddenly being attacked not knowing or understanding what was going on or where the cone zone of triggers is. Some panicked and fled to the surface after being chomped on some froze and didn't know what to do.

Only tangentially. Blackcrusader and I shall discuss this no further. Well, I shan't. Hopefully, Blackcrusader will also take the hint.

Back
Top Bottom