Blue Hole Dec 10-11th!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Condements... we need ketchup, mayo, mustard, whatever.

Everyone can bring their own meat, but I'll bring enough Elk for several steaks, and will likley bring enough burger for a few as well. It's difficult to bring one burger, or just one dog.

Good point Ron. You have signed up for enough. I'll bring some hamburger patties to share with you if you let me try your Elk. :05:

meat - bring own
bread/buns - RonFrank (hamburger) scubajoh44 (hotdog)
salad-
fruit-
chip/dip- HoodekAgain
plates/napkins-
forks/knives/cups-
drinks- bring own
grill- RonFrank
chairs- bring own
canopy-
condiments (ketchup, mayo, must, etc...)-

This is all assuming the weather is good. What will we do if it is cold/rain/snowing? Suggestions?

I'm gonna' try to get into this bring-food thing, even tho it's not my style. I carry so much scuba stuff to keep up with, I'm really one to buy a 12" Subway the night before and keep it cold until lunch time. But I'll try. My home buddy will be back in town in a few days, and he's more into this.

This is all assuming the weather is good. What will we do if it is cold/rain/snowing? Suggestions?
There is a covered picnic area and half of the building Stella is in.

I put my name down too! Don't know how much time I'll have to hang with the class doing our thing, but I'll bring some brats and buns. Not a big time eater, during the dive day but a dog would be nice.

Hoping my daughter comes along with us. There is a cute boy in the OW class that she wants to meet. Shish, girls.........:11:

Ron, I'm looking forward to talking cameras a bit too!! Fair warning!

I'll bring plates/napkins and Forks/knives/cups!

Also, I signed up on the calendar but my guests will not be diving, only myself. My husband and kids will show up to help set up and for lunch. :)

I'm a little worried that its going to be a cccoldd picnic. We should have a restraunt for plan B.
I'm driving from Ft. Collins. I have a 4 door truck as well. PM me if you need a ride.

I think we should wait until we have a better idea of what the weather is going to be before deciding on if to picnic. I'll certainly plan on doing the picnic THING, and I think others can as well.

If we are three days out from the dates, and the forecast is cold, windy, or snow, then maybe we want to adopt plan B. This could be just doing Don's suggestion, and everyone hits subway, or does sandwiches or something on their own, OR we could decide to break and go have a group lunch somewhere. For those that are not familiar with the Hole, the diving is 5 minutes from the eating and hotels.

In any event, I think it's too soon to make this decision, and we will discuss this more based on the forcast. 40's and sunny is nice weather in NM, just have a good fleece coat or something for SI's. Snow and wind make it MUCH less desirable to hang out all day.

I'm a little worried that its going to be a cccoldd picnic. We should have a restraunt for plan B.
Yeah, we touched on this earlier, but - it'd be a good idea to discuss it more, I think.

RonFrank:
I think we should wait until we have a better idea of what the weather is going to be before deciding on if to picnic. I'll certainly plan on doing the picnic THING, and I think others can as well.

If we are three days out from the dates, and the forecast is cold, windy, or snow, then maybe we want to adopt plan B. This could be just doing Don's suggestion, and everyone hits subway, or does sandwiches or something on their own, OR we could decide to break and go have a group lunch somewhere. For those that are not familiar with the Hole, the diving is 5 minutes from the eating and hotels.
Yeah, the NOAA 5 days forecast is worthless here. The 3-day outlook is about as good as you can try to depend on, and still - with out winds, no guarantees.

My approach for me of brining a subway is if we plan on the picnic - plan A.

Plan B? If the 3-day looks bad, I suggest we abandon the picnic and do lunch at a cafe. The one by the Dollar Store, right at the turn off of Rt 66 Rd to the Hole, is one I've always enjoyed. I've eaten lunch there with my wet suit just pulled down to my waist, and they said that was fine.

Plan C? If the 3-day looks good, we plan the picnic, then suddenly the weather gets cold, then keep the options in mind for the decision of the hour: Got food ready - go inside the fill shack, where half of the building should be available. If the food needs to be cooked - save it for home and head for the cafe.

In any event, I think it's too soon to make this decision, and we will discuss this more based on the forcast. 40's and sunny is nice weather in NM, just have a good fleece coat or something for SI's. Snow and wind make it MUCH less desirable to hang out all day.
Yep, exactly.

I called Joseph's about using the party room for Saturday supper, but the manager was not in. I'll call back until I get her.

Hehe, my new Houston dive buddy was here a couple of weeks ago and we headed out to see a nearby park, first stopping to see my grandson's Scout troop mounting bikes to cycle down the abandonded railroad right-of-way. Typical West Texas winds were blowing and she was the only one who could not deal with it. Kept stumbling around, holding onto me. :lol2: "More breeze than you're used to, hon?"

Okay, called Joseph's again - the manager won't be in until Friday. :doh:

I reserved the party room for Dec 10th under Don Henderson Group, as they would have a problem with the ScubaBoard name.

I need to call back Friday, give the manager a time and apporximate head count...?? :wink:

DandyDon:
Okay, called Joseph's again - the manager won't be in until Friday. :doh:

I reserved the party room for Dec 10th under Don Henderson Group, as they would have a problem with the ScubaBoard name.

I need to call back Friday, give the manager a time and apporximate head count...?? :wink:

Right now it looks like about 15 based on who has responded on the calandar, and a couple I know about who have not, but will likely go. We shall see if we get more interest in the upcoming week.

As to when, I think that depends on if people are interested in doing a night dive. That would likely depend upon the weather as if it's cold diving at night makes for a cold exit, and some may not be interested in that.

If nobody else is interested in doing the night dive thing we can bag that idea, and maybe 6:00pm is a good time to schedule dinner. If people want to dive at night, likley a 7:00pm dinner is more appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom