Blue Angel vs. Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I thought it was good to reiterate some of the points so people could see that the sames things happened consistently. Oh one thing, SCC does have twilight dives now.

Did you have the same issues with more than 6-8 divers on the boat? This one really surprised me since they seemed very adamant on the site and emails about the max number of divers. Actually, people that have been going there for years were surprised too, they said they hadn't experienced that in the past.

I think we were at SCC during a slow time, so there were less people around and there was a huge group there that tended to stick together. I had expected more mingling there. I'm sure I'll be going back there next year so we'll see then (wish I was going sooner :D).
No issues with large groups on boat. Seems we had anywhere from 4-8 divers each time. Just the DM inconsistency was bothersome.

As for street noise. I did notice that at BA. The hotel has a great ocean view from each room. But the hotel is closer to the street than SCC rooms. So, you get the traffic noise from the road. My room at SCC was quiet. However, I was near the restaurant and they started prepping fairly early in the morning! So, I had that noise. SCC rooms are configured in many different ways and angles and all over the property. So, it can be luck of the draw with them as to room comfort, views, bedding, noise etc.

How does the cost compare? And how loud is the street noise at night?
I booked BA in October already, but now having some second thoughts....
perhaps SCC..........

I think you will enjoy BA. Then the next time go to SCC and then you can compare for yourself.

The ideal place is take all the pros of BA and all the pros of SCC and meld them together and you have the perfect Dive resort!!:D I would stay at either one of them again!

BA still sounds okay with me. I like the idea of it being laid back. Good food of course. Crowded boat, can probably deal with, because once in the water would be okay. Definately don't want a DM who rushes to get back or is constantly on the move, as I like to stop and explore/hover. Street noise may be a deal breaker for me. I do like it quiet at night. I have had a few very bad experiences in Hawaii with street noise until I found a really nice quiet place in a residential area.

I have a bunch of photos from the resort and their shore dive up on Flickr if you want to get a look around.

Thanks everyone, I'll stick with the BA on this trip. As it is my first real dive trip/vacation I am a bit apprehensive. PI is always about family with some diving when possible. The ocean view rooms at the BA will be very nice. In Hawaii, the place I stay every year has no view, but it is very comfartable and nice. In Kona where we sometimes go, the view and sounds of the ocean is spectacular, could stay on the lanai all day & night.

Let's keep this thread current. Any one staying a SCC or Blue Angel lately...please add your 2 cents to this thread.

Thanks,
Mary

This is just that my 2 cents. I love Blue Angel and go somewhat frequently (Aug, Nov, Feb, March, and next month).

Blue Angel is a no frills place for people who love to dive. We typically do 4 boat dives each day with a twilight/night dive one evening. If you are a comfortable diver who doesn't need your hand held, the 8am boat is nice.

The boats are FAST. We typically pass all other boats on the way out. This means we hit the dive site and are usually surfacing by the time other boats are putting people in the water. After diving with Jorge many, many times, we can usually go where we want to go weather permitting. Sometimes, we just go where he wants to dive and we are never disappointed. There aren't many (I think only a couple) of operators that even go to Barracuda. Again, we go there almost every trip, unless there is an El Norte or really bad weather.

Rob and Eva (the new owners) are great and are really trying to ensure a nice experience. The in room massages are nice and the dive shop staff are great. Pony and Martin really go out of their way to work with you.

Jorge is special. Excellent divemaster who loves to dive and lets us dive our plan. He doesn't place time restrictions, only that divers buddy up and surface when they hit 700 psi. I only dive with Jorge and have planned several trips around his schedule.

So, for those who love to dive, Blue Angel is a little piece of paradise. I can't imagine diving with anyone else on Cozumel.

Thanks for sharing...brings back memories of only a few days ago! I know people will appreciate others "take" on things. Jorge is now going to be in great demand! We were bragging about him on the other Blue Angel only thread!

No one talks about Mat much? Haven't seen him on an 8 am boat lately, but then it might have been my luck. Did see him on a shore dive with students, and on a reef from another boat. Only dived with him a few times, once crossing to dive with a hundred or so turtles on Tortugas, once after a ferry crossing to dive Cenotes. Hell of a guy and a great DM. Is he doing all of the instructing now...?

Pretty sure he is the one who is out of commission recovering from and injury back home?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom