Blue Angel vs. Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks ggunn for the info. Usually I like to check e-mail every few days or so.
jjwdiver, since I am going solo I probably can't request a particular DM as I will need to join others on the boat who have already decided who to use and where to go. Not a problem as I am very flexible, but would like as long a bottom time as possible.
I heard it said earlier that the 0800 boat out of BA has more advanced divers than the 0830 boat. I didn't know that they even had two morning boats. Still I am looking forward to a twilight and some night dives.

Thanks ggunn for the info. Usually I like to check e-mail every few days or so.
jjwdiver, since I am going solo I probably can't request a particular DM as I will need to join others on the boat who have already decided who to use and where to go.
Actually, being by yourself makes it easier to get the DM you want, since a single person is a lot easier to place on a particular boat than is, say, a group of four. The only issue (if the boat is not already completely full) might be if you are a novice and are asking to be put with a DM who is taking out a group of experienced divers.

I stayed at SCC in October and at Blue Angel last month. I think overall I prefer SCC, but BA was nice too. I still need to write my trip report for BA, but here are some of my thoughts when comparing to SCC.

BA Cons:

• Advertised a max of 6-8 divers per boat. The first day out with them there were 10 divers packed on a 10 person max boat. It was uncomfortable and chaotic. The following day the board said we were going to be on a boat with 11 divers and they had put us with a different DM and group of divers. I let them know that the boat was too crowded the day before and we wanted to be moved. They made it happen, but I shouldn't have had to ask. We managed to stay with the same DM the rest of the trip and they kept it to 7 or less divers. I know other guests were complaining too. It seemed like they were trying not to add another boat when it was clearly needed.
  • Dive shop staff weren't as friendly and welcoming as SCC.
  • No mask or a camera rinse tanks on the boat. No camera rinse tank at the shop either.
  • Locker room left a lot to be desired. There was standing water that smelled horrible all week. The plastic bin with rusty chain & lock system didn't work well. You can easily get a hand in there and pull stuff out.
  • Somewhat low tank fills. I don't think I had many over approx 2850 and lots of bad o-rings (and in some cases no o-ring)
  • Had to get someone to unlock the locker room after hours for shore dives. SCC it was nice to have outdoor lockers accessible all the time.
  • Street noise is way too loud in the rooms, especially on Friday and Saturday night. Louder AC units would help block some of that (the news ones are super quiet).
  • Food was decent, but not as good as SCC.
  • Had to remember vouchers for meals that were included. At SCC they knew by your room number what was included and how to charge you at the end.
  • Not being able to flush paper is an annoyance.
  • In room pitcher & cups for water had layer of dust and clearly hadn't been cleaned in some time.
  • Not enough hammocks.
  • Horrible sewage smell outside after a hard rain.
  • Further from town, but still walkable.
  • Phones in rooms didn't work (though Andrea at the front desk made up for it, by making dinner reservations for us)
  • Tons of little flies on the balcony. Didn't have that problem at SCC.
  • If rain blows from the south they don't have have shades to block the rain from blowing into the restaurant area.

BA Pros:

• Liked the grassy areas and landscaping (whole resort was pretty and had nice touches). SCC has a little too much sand and concrete. Pool seemed to be maintained better than SCC. It was nice to have a place to cool off in the June heat.
  • A bit more to see on the shore dive compared to SCC. More coral instead of just rock, especially south of the sting ray pen.
  • Nice lounge/lobby area to relax in, use internet access and talk to people
  • Great to have in room safe instead of having to go to front desk.
  • Fast boats
  • Tanks for shore dives available 24/7, didn't have to grab them and put them in locker by a certain time (I think SCC is like 6ish).
  • Smaller so got to know the other guests a bit better.
  • Weights stay on the boat, which is great (but they will give you another set to keep on shore if you plan to do a lot of shore dives.
  • Ocean views in all rooms.
  • Fruit and bread/cookies during surface intervals. SCC only has water and juice.
I should mention that Andrea was by far the most helpful and friendly front desk person at BA. She really made our vacation more pleasant. Sergio our waiter/bartender for breakfast and lunch was fantastic. He was funny and pleasant and had way too much to work to do as the only waiter during those times (and also be the bartender at lunch). He made some really great drinks for us and when he wasn't there the drinks weren't nearly as good.

Another note: our DM Edgar was freelancing there, but he did a great job and we were glad to have a consistent DM for the entire trip.

Overall, I think SCC just runs a smoother resort and dive op than BA, which allows for a worry free, relaxing vacation. I would probably try BA again and I wouldn't discourage anyone from going there. I'm sure with new ownership they still need to work out some kinks. I also heard some guests that had stayed there before saying that it seems like the new owners are putting more focus on the hotel/restaurant than the the dive op. If this is true, I think they need to start putting some more focus back on the dive op. Those things need to balanced to have a great dive resort.

Lucid Blue,

I would concur with everything you said. I did cover some of those points in first post. But you added a lot that I did leave out. I agree with everything you said. Sounds like we had similar experiences. I did find mingling with people better at SCC. Not sure why!

Lucid Blue,

I would concur with everything you said. I did cover some of those points in first post. But you added a lot that I did leave out. I agree with everything you said. Sounds like we had similar experiences. I did find mingling with people better at SCC. Not sure why!

Yeah, I thought it was good to reiterate some of the points so people could see that the sames things happened consistently. Oh one thing, SCC does have twilight dives now.

Did you have the same issues with more than 6-8 divers on the boat? This one really surprised me since they seemed very adamant on the site and emails about the max number of divers. Actually, people that have been going there for years were surprised too, they said they hadn't experienced that in the past.

I think we were at SCC during a slow time, so there were less people around and there was a huge group there that tended to stick together. I had expected more mingling there. I'm sure I'll be going back there next year so we'll see then (wish I was going sooner :D).

How does the cost compare? And how loud is the street noise at night?
I booked BA in October already, but now having some second thoughts....
perhaps SCC..........

How does the cost compare? And how loud is the street noise at night?
I booked BA in October already, but now having some second thoughts....
perhaps SCC..........

SCC was a little more expensive, but we had all of our meals included (BA doesn't offer that. We had breakfast included and lunch on boat dive days). I know SCC offers a lite meal plan option, but I'm not sure how much less that is (I'd probably get that next time). I'm guessing the prices would be comparable with BA if you got the lite option though. SCC also offers some great buddy 1/2 price options in the fall.

Honestly, the noise is quite loud at night, especially Friday and Saturday nights. I'm not sure if all of the rooms have the new AC units yet. Maybe you can ask for a room with the older ones, I heard they blocked the street noise well.

SCC has a deal in October for buddy paying 1/2 price. What things are you most concerned about at BA? Maybe I can provide more detail.

BA still sounds okay with me. I like the idea of it being laid back. Good food of course. Crowded boat, can probably deal with, because once in the water would be okay. Definately don't want a DM who rushes to get back or is constantly on the move, as I like to stop and explore/hover. Street noise may be a deal breaker for me. I do like it quiet at night. I have had a few very bad experiences in Hawaii with street noise until I found a really nice quiet place in a residential area.

I think you'll have a good time at either place. Cozumel, great diving, tons of great Mexican food, what else can you ask for...

Back
Top Bottom