BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would be easier to pass as a tiered fine, $250 for the first offense, then $500 for the second and $1000 for the third offense. If you try for a flat $1000 dollar fine it will be considered usurious and will not pass. Also it is considered Palm Beach County's jurisdiction and not the City of Riviera Beach plus it is a state road so I do not think the city actually has a final say in what happens. That would be between the State of Florida and the County.

It would be easier to pass as a tiered fine, $250 for the first offense, then $500 for the second and $1000 for the third offense. If you try for a flat $1000 dollar fine it will be considered usurious and will not pass. Also it is considered Palm Beach County's jurisdiction and not the City of Riviera Beach plus it is a state road so I do not think the city actually has a final say in what happens. That would be between the State of Florida and the County.
I was just tossing that out there. While I don't have data to back that up, I would expect that the number of people fishing there regularly far eclipses the number of divers who dive there regularly. Any attempt at accomodating divers is going to be met with strong resistance. It is going to take the dive community to band together to get their voices heard. It can be, and has been, done.

Having to coordinate with authorities is another complication. But still possible. I wish the Florida divers good luck on this one as it sounds like a great dive site.

Actually the number of divers on a daily basis is usually far greater than the number of people fishing. The last time I did a night dive during the week there were 30+ divers and maybe 15 people fishing. Also the people that are the main problem are fishing off of the small bridge to the east, it is a handful of people that not only cause problems for divers but also to other people fishing and to people that are walking through the area. They think that they own that area and everyone else should stay away, I have personally been diving in that area since 1984 and my family has been fishing in that area for over 100 years, we have been in Palm Beach County for a very long time!

Actually the number of divers on a daily basis is usually far greater than the number of people fishing. The last time I did a night dive during the week there were 30+ divers and maybe 15 people fishing. Also the people that are the main problem are fishing off of the small bridge to the east, it is a handful of people that not only cause problems for divers but also to other people fishing and to people that are walking through the area. They think that they own that area and everyone else should stay away, I have personally been diving in that area since 1984 and my family has been fishing in that area for over 100 years, we have been in Palm Beach County for a very long time!
In that case it should be fairly easy to make a viable case. Maybe my viewpoint is distorted from having rather cold water!

What time is high tide usually at the bridge?

Why not just post the times when you propose that fishing from the dedicated fishing pier be banned.

What time is high tide usually at the bridge?
It changes daily. Tides are published and you had better look them up.

It's been my experience from the twenty or so dives I've done there that there are far more divers than fishermen. There are plenty of places to fish, but few places that afford this kind of diving. I favor leaving the area as a no-take zone.

Hey, guys, come back to Earth. BHB is a city park.

County park. PBC

That’s a specious argument. Public fishing long predates scuba diving privileges- it’s about public policy “fair use”. Your argument smacks of entitlement- and on a public site- you are most assuredly not entitled to more than “the other guy”.

So, feel free to argue a “ban” on fishermen- then when they look to displace divers you will have only yourself to blame....my advice stands- find a compromise around tidal times and locations - that way the elected officials will see a reasonable argument instead of forcing a choice that may not go your way...

First, I’d say if you are a tourist, maybe stay out of the local stuff. I have been snagged at the bridge with a fishing hook by a beer drinking trash throwing fisherman. Not sure if it was on purpose but as a Floridian I am so tired of the fishermen who leave their garbage everywhere. Not exactly on point but my god, I am tied of that kind of “entitlement.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom