BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He had me until this stupid comment.

I certainly side with diving vs. fishing at this location, but I have to be honest, comments like that make me want to say, "Let them dive off the shore, if at all."

That’s Jim Abernethy. He’s very opinionated and vocal. He’s also a vegan who is against consuming anything that is animal sourced. He is far from the consensus viewpoint of the Florida diving community.

Interestingly, you assumed I am too dumb to understand (or that you are way too smart for me) and at the same time you clearly can't tell the difference between state and federal parks (which I've mentioned) and state and federal lands, which you bring in here for no apparent reason. Parks vs lands differ in the intensity of public use, hence the regulations are much stricter in the parks than lands.

Hunting and Fishing on National Parks and Fish and Wildlife Refuges

Hey, guys, come back to Earth. BHB is a city park.

My post was to demonstrate that- in fact - hunting and fishing is indeed permitted in federal parks... we are well aware BHB is a local site.

A claim was made that there is no “hunting or fishing” on federal park lands - some attempted nonsense distinction between “land” and “parks” was the gibberish being used.

My post was to demonstrate that- in fact - hunting and fishing is indeed permitted in federal parks... we are well aware BHB is a local site.

A claim was made that there is no “hunting or fishing” on federal park lands - some attempted nonsense distinction between “land” and “parks” was the gibberish being used.
Yes there is some hunting, but very limited. So what? It's not like you can start shooting deer in the middle of Smokey Mt National Park anytime you want.

As usual, there is always more to the story.

Diving the Blue Heron Bridge area can be done two ways, from boat or most commonly shore entry from Phil Foster Park. Diving from the park is regulated by the park.

Fishing this area is also done multiple ways. Within the park there is a large fishing pier as well as two smaller fishing platforms. Then there is the Blue Heron Bridge itself. This is a structure that connects the mainland to Singer Island. It is the fishing from the actual bridge that is the source of controversy and essentially involves a small section on the east side.

In February the state of Florida installed no fishing signs on at least two bridges within the state, Blue Heron Bridge was one. Of course there was pushback from fishermen from both sites. A councilwoman for Riviera Beach was contacted about the signs on the BHB and in (my opinion) a knee jerk reaction had the signs removed (and received FB and local news publicity for her heroism in saving the livelihood of these few fishermen). All within 24 hours. After another uproar, this time by divers, the councilwoman decided to actually investigate the issue. She has since removed the FB posts with her and the fisherman she saved.

0F59381A-8675-4066-87C0-CFBCC96DC03E.jpeg

31C13B87-B038-4E5C-8E85-F328BC1D38A2.jpeg

What a reasonable solution!
While perfectly reasonable, the regulation of such is near impossible. "I didn't know it was high tide" would be a frequently used excuse for fishing at that time. Rectal-cranial inversion is more of an epidemic than Covid19.

While perfectly reasonable, the regulation of such is near impossible. "I didn't know it was high tide" would be a frequently used excuse for fishing at that time. Rectal-cranial inversion is more of an epidemic than Covid19.
We get the same thing here in the keys
The mooring balls say no fishing in 2 languages and we still get I didnt know
Nevermind you have to Tie up to the ball

LOL! How about, "If you see divers flags and/or bubbles, it is High Tide."

LOL! How about, "If you see divers flags and/or bubbles, it is High Tide."
Bubbles fall under the category of "didn't see any." When my father was in compulsory military service, they were allowed to hang dry items from their bed frames. However, on one inspection, one of the men there had a damp wash cloth drying. The sergeant performing the inspection said that it was dry and to put it away. So the next time there was an inspection, the same man put out his wash cloth soaking wet, leaving a puddle on the floor. The sergeant felt it with his finger. "This cloth is as dry as a cork. Put it away!"

Doesn't matter if something is obvioius as the sun, people will ignore it if it suits them.

Friend of mine was diving in a lake pulling a flag. All of the sudden he's getting pulled to the surface. At the surface, he finds a guy on a jet ski with his dive flag, yelling at him to let go of the line for the flag he just found.

Now if you were to have spot checks by LE where fishing at high tide would result in a $1000 fine, then the rectal-cranial inversion problem would be solved most of the time. But then there will be strong outcry from fishermen. I don't see how co-existance is going to work here, unfortunately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom