Keys Mooring Balls; What's Going On?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan G

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've heard from a few FL Keys dive ops that the mooring balls on the Thunderbolt have been repeatedly cut off by fishermen making the dive inaccessible indefinitely. Another op told me the mooring balls for the Bibb are gone, but did not directly attribute that to fishermen.

What's going on down there in the Keys? Do fishmen specifically fish the wrecks and don't want divers on them? Is it the boat traffic they don't want? Inquiring minds want to know.

Assuming the veracity of malfeasance by fishermen ...

Considering the history of Frogmen, the fishermen would be well advised to play nice.

USCG Duane - same story, no mooring balls for the last 2 or 3 weeks

It’s not unique to the Keys. There definitely seems to be a war brewing between rod and reel fishermen and divers. I guess they blame divers for their inability to catch fish. Divers might have an effect on the bite, but somehow my wife manages to catch fish while I’m diving nearby.

Who installs the mooring balls? State agency, local dive shops?

Not on the T-Bolt....
But on this old thread you said they do.

But on this old thread you said they do.

My information may be quite dated. The moorings on the T-bolt were privately maintained, and set about 20 feet below the surface, specifically to avoid this type of conflict. Fisherman can’t cut off the buoys if they can’t get to the buoys.

I have tied to the T-Bolt many many times but that was 10 years ago. If I said that NOAA was planning to take over the moorings, that must have been the plan. If they did, it would make sense. If anyone really cares, I was quite close to members of the buoy team and can make a phone call and find out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom