Keys Mooring Balls; What's Going On?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who installs the mooring balls? State agency, local dive shops?
Been many years, but on the southern gulfside, private boats used metal pony kegs or soda syrup kegs that have those metal hand-holds on the top ring. As divers we always find anchors with lots of brand new rope to save and they tied a couple of long sections together. Swim one end down, loop a rail/etc on the wreck/site and swim it back up. Tie it to the keg handle and also thread the other up-line thru the same handle, but don't tie it and give that end to the boat. The boat cleats the rope and slowly pulls away sinking the keg while the diver signals it's 20ft depth & to hold position. The diver swims down to siamese the 2 lines together. Boat releases it's end and the diver completes the holding knots, plus leaves 30ft of line with a large fishing weight that becomes the mooring attach loop on return. Captain watches the sonar for a huge bright beep and marks the spot. If you are doing several drops on the site or long deco it saves on 4 hours of burning gas($$) from doing a live drop and also insures the divers don't miss the drop or bad anchor drop in low viz. I've never seen it done where I dive on the SE coast, too busy.

I just don't get the us/them conflicts.
It's common practice especially in the summer to load both fishing and dive gear on my boat.
Head out early and try to catch something, by 10-11 I'm blowing bubbles in nice cool (warmish) water on the reef. Sometimes I tie up to the same ball I bait fished on ealier. I think they are a great for both sports!
Cutting lines is selfish.

I just don't get the us/them conflicts.

Cutting lines is selfish.
You drive a car............Ever had someone cut infront of you in your lane while you were just minding your own business. Then brake check you when you honked? Same thing happens with all boats on the same 'Spot'
We saw over 200 boats within eye sight yesterday while diving on this holiday weekend. Everyone was yelling on the water & VHF radio.

Unlike divers, the fishermen pay the lion's share for the resource.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom